Drummer not necessarily needed...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by slickfaster, Jun 20, 2021.

1. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Jammed yesterday.. drummer didn’t show so upright bassist n I went through the set..
    Eye opener! We had to listen to each other and lock in.. was little rough at start but after realizing we needed to listen, things really tightened up... it was a blessing in disguise. Vocals were a pleasure to perform.
    Might start looking for a more minimalist drummer..

2. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    The Stray Cats showed us how to get the most out of a drummer. :cool: I jammed with an upright bass B4C-19, and he played a Gretsch! It was a nice jam. Then Covid. Now he’s gone (Just moved out of town) so no more jams with him. :(

3. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    What I've found with previous band situations is that setting aside one on one time with the other members has a huge impact. I've jammed alone with the drummer and had a blast, and what we took away from that was a better friendship, as well as more understanding of what to watch for and listen for on stage when changes are coming up. Working with the bassist, the takeaway was a better understanding of what he could cover, where he could fill in the holes, and where I needed to be able to thicken things up, as well as the cues and signals. We worked on ideas like contrary motion or shifting the bassline up a third or fifth while I emphasized the root, or dabbling with rhythmic emphasis and things like that. With the guitarist, it's a good opportunity to tighten up doubled rhythms and harmonized leads without the clutter and distraction of the rest of the band. Nobody really wants to listen to two guys go over the same phrase again and again locking it in and moving on to the next phrase to do more of the same, but I can do it for hours and as long as progress is being made I enjoy it. With the singer, more of the same, working on backing vocals and harmonies, figuring out how to sing what I needed to sing while playing which has always been a challenge for me.

-m

sgarnett and S.R.Cash like this.
  4. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I hear you. Far more dynamics, ability to ebb and flow the tempo, you can hear great, better vocals.... without a drummer. Who would have thought eliminating beating on metal discs and hollow boxes when you are trying to play music would be nice? :D

5. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
  6. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Drummer-less… it works perfectly with an upright bass filling in the right setting.

slickfaster and stiv like this.
  7. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I always preferred a drummer, but early rockabilly was without drums. As long as upright bass player could slap like mad! :)

Merc likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Worked well for Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two.

Merc likes this.
  9. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Synchromatic

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    I love my drummer !! last nite practice set up

[​IMG]

SAguitar likes this.
  10. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Think I found what I’ve been looking for...
    And he works for bananas! F2E4A3D2-AB10-4C17-84C3-392CB0AF4D2D.jpeg

11. The past few years we have mostly not had a drummer. A second guitarist and myself play a rhythm lead sort of thing. My wife sings and plays a bit of tenor guitar rhythm as well. We did allow a few friends to sit in and play a cajon or similar , and eventually that led to one of them getting a kit(which i provided against my better judgement) and we started again with a drummer. But no bassist as the guitarist and I got so used to the two of us, it would throw us off. Now that drummer has moved away and we will see him less, I am wondering if i even want another drummer , or maybe just another percussionist that adds to the mix instead of leading it. We play mostly amplified acoustics. So I think it works without the bass. Most drummers that worked well for me are the ones that watch me. If you can get used to my movements, then starts and stops and accents are easy peasy. Anyway, i still like the drummer in the photo below. He is loud, screeches about nothing important, and when we are done I shove him back into a dark box.

Attached Files:

12. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Poor monkey....

13. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It's the change that's important. Our trio, 2 guitars and bass, only plays with a drummer occasionally. it completely changes how we all play, especially rhythm guitar and bass. I feel it gives them more space to be harmonic or melodic as more of the rhythm and back beat are carried by the drummer.

There is a big difference between "without a drummer" and "without a drummer that isn't very good or doesn't listen".:confused:

new6659, Shock and Merc like this.
  14. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    I just made a place to play in my basement, and am trying to find a drummer. Had a guy over, and he says to me that he needs me to tap my foot. That way he will know what the beat is. I laughed out loud and said that this will be ugly. He lagged along all session. Oh, it gets better!

So the guitar player/singer I invited over wanted to do Sky is Crying. He was almost crying because I just kicked it in E. He kept yelling, "The tablature says it is C! its in C! Your not in C!" So I went ahead and started singing it too it. He did start singing by the end. So when it was all over, he asked what key that was.

I don't know what my point is, I just could relate to the bad drummer line.

Henry likes this.
  15. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    .. at least he’s looking at ya for cues..that pretty huge.. someone I’d definitely try to work into the drummer I need.. some cats tap a tempo n go.. which is fine but reminds me of the best advice I ever got.. drummer Hank Deluxe complemented me on my bass playing then says...”now if you can listen as well as play You’d be a better musician..” boom I was floored.

16. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I have nothing to say for or against drummers, but I dislike listening to a drum machine. Very Famous Musicians often seem to use them when they start recording solo in their home studios, and ... bleh. Sounds like a tarted-up click track to me ....

17. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    You'd probably be surprised what drums you think are real that are using Slate, MT or similar. You can spend a lot of time and money trying to mic a kit and get a good drum sound on tape, or you can use triggers, sequencing and replacement plugins to get it down right the first time around. Use high quality samples, start randomizing velocities within a certain range and loosen the quantization just a little bit and it begins to sound very human.

-m

sgarnett likes this.
  18. Nubs

Nubs Electromatic

Sep 10, 2019
    Houston, TX
    As a drummer, I'm very offended by this post.

stiv, Henry and mr coffee like this.
  19. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    A
    All my best friends are drummers...Toney, Mikey, Gabe, Robin, Korkey, Greg, Jarmin, Chris...Pretty crazy how many drummers I know!

20. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    As a guitar player (and lover of Sun Sessions), my favorite musician of all time is Keith Moon.
    Go figure. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.