Drilling into Filtertron mounting rings

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Marko Milas, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Marko Milas

Marko Milas Newbie

Apr 2, 2020
    Croatia
    Hi everyone!

First of all, apologies in case I posted this thread in the wrong place.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my G5445T Double Jet - among other things, changing the factory Blacktop Filtertrons to a set of HS Filtertrons. However, I encountered a bit of a problem regarding the pickup mounting rings.

As I couldn't reuse the Blacktop rings due to a slight difference in corner radius of both pickups, I ordered a set of regular Filtertron rings from Thomann and they fit properly. The thing is, I would like the new pickups to be adjustable just as the old ones were, and that means making an adapter and suspending the pickups from their mounting rings. In order for this to work, the mounting rings need to have holes in them.

My question is, how do I drill into these plastic mounting rings without them breaking? Any advice?

(I'm aware that TV Jones or similar manufacturers probably offer the thing I'm trying to make, but I really don't feel like waiting or ordering anything from the US for a while after the ridiculous amount of tax my country added on top of an already expensive Bigsby B3C order last time)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Personally, I’d double-stick tape them onto a block of wood, then drill into that. Maybe screw them into the block too for extra rigidity. Start with a very small bit, then work up through the bitsto desired diameter.

toddfan, new6659, section2 and 2 others like this.
  3. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    Austin
    +1 to Limuz' advice. I would also use a sharp nail and hammer to GENTLY tap a shallow starter indentation to keep your small bit from walking on the plastic surface.

new6659 and Jerzey Bob like this.
  4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It is probably easier to adjust the corner radius of the old rings rather than try to drill new holes.

mr coffee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.