Dream car or Bike

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, May 4, 2020.

1. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, I'd have to save up for that, for about a century or two!!

Bertotti and Merc like this.
  2. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I think if they had done that back then it would look a lot better!;)

3. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    What about a 1935 Stout Scarab ? No,me neither!:D But it's interesting nonetheless .

[​IMG]

loudnlousy, Merc, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  4. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Old Mercedes ... reminds me of something I may have mentioned here before, but ...anyway...:

To celebrate the automobile's 100th birthday in 1986, Mercedes Benz issued a record. A lot of cars often seen as iconic ones, representing their time, certain developments and so on, were recorded ... of course, there were no Lancias or Caddillacs on the record, only Mercedes Benz. Usually, you hear a bit idling, the care driving by the microphone, and the microphone in the engine compartment under load and real use.

I love this record!

I have it on my computer in .wav, of course. I really love how the C 111 on it sounds. It was the version with a four ... four ... uh, ... four-unit Wankel (with a single spark plug; Wankel engines benefit really big time from having multiple spark plugs, as poor combustion is the only issue that remains until today). At low RPMs, it sounds almost like a usual four-stroke, but at full load, higher speed, it gets more and more twostrokish in sound. That's a result of the piston opening the exhaust instead of a poppet valve in most fourstroke machines.

... and it sounds totally nuts and insane, the transition is just beautiful ... "RRRRRROOOOOAAAAARRREEEENG!" or so.

So, a C-111 is part of the dream fleet of Mr. C.

5. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion:
    [​IMG]

JC higgy, Merc and new6659 like this.
  6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Looks like something straight out of an old sci-fi comic.

Sabato and new6659 like this.
  7. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Kindig again, 1939 Buick
    [​IMG]

new6659, Merc and JC higgy like this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Studebaker celebrated their 100th anniversary in 1952. They had the Avanti, which broke many speed records (some still stand) and it took a 6 rotor C-111 that M-B only made 51 of, to break the record of fastest production auto. Stude built thousands of Avantis. The C-111 is a gorgeous auto. Too bad Wankel engines suck gas and don't last. First production Wankel was the German NSU.

The original didn't have the big fin or the pods on the rear. It had a Ford flathead V-8 and is a tricycle with a single tail wheel. Bucky was a visionary!

DennisC likes this.
  9. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I just like the cartoonish one! Here's the '33
    [​IMG]

Merc and wabash slim like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I like the Buck Rogers version as well.

Merc and Sabato like this.
  11. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Lamborghini Asterion concept,i really liked this ,although a bit restrained for a Lambo, i expect over the top-ness from them,but i like this.

[​IMG]

Sabato and Merc like this.
  12. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Lamborghini Sian,they're first hybrid!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Sabato and Merc like this.
  13. afire

afire Country Gent

Today I'll post a couple of cars featuring the coachwork of Jacques Saoutchik.

A 1938 Hispano-Suiza H6C:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A 1948 Cadillac Series 62:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JC higgy, new6659, Merc and 2 others like this.
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Isn`t it remarkable how many old cars and bikes appear here?
    Isn`t it cool to smell old wood and leather interieur? Isn`t it wonderful to look at sofisticated mechanics and fat hand-hammered steel-cheets?
    One of the most hated cars comes to my mind which is actually an amalgam of all things hand-made and over-engeneered retro madness:
    upload_2020-6-3_0-23-21.jpeg
    Stutz Bearcat/Blackhawk/IV Porte. The original car of the billionairs, rockstars, pimps and dictators (who had to pay actuallly three times of a regular Rolls Royce in those days). Pontiac base. All the other stuff was replaced by handmade Italian goodness. The original chassis and interieurs was thrown away after the cars were exported for build-up. What a waste.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    new6659 and Merc like this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The only connection to a proper Stutz was the name. The originals were some of the fastest cars of their era, and made in my home state of Indiana. Indiana had over 125 different auto manufacturers, due primarily to the industry in the Midwest, and, for the fact that the 2-1/2 mile long Indianapolis Motor Speedway was the best stretch of paved roadway in the country. The first race was 1909, just a couple of years after England's Brooklands Racetrack. IMS was only shut down during WWII making it the oldest race in the world, and the largest one day sporting event in the world with over a half million fans attending.

loudnlousy likes this.
  16. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Wow! That 38 rear made me instantly think of the Stingray, only decades earlier.
    F6393F53-EEEA-4D92-B77C-42504E94A08F.jpeg

Sabato, new6659 and MTurner like this.
  17. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Now that just looks wrongo_O

Sabato likes this.
  18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    The 63’ split window Vette, a one year only masterpiece

6909E662-35BB-458D-B1EA-524926EAEA24.jpeg

Sabato, Merc, MTurner and 1 other person like this.
  19. Hypnore

Hypnore Newbie

Aug 10, 2018
    USA
  20. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Wait a second ... yes, NSU also employed Felix Wankel at that time, who invented the rotary engine as we know it. Although his invention has a major flaw and didn't even come close to replacing the usual crank-and-stroke-engine (I hesitate to call it "piston engine", as a piston is defined functionally, not by the way it moves or is shaped ... the triangular thing with outbowed sides is ... a rotary piston), he could live very well from the licensing NSU did. NSU built a few cars with rotary engines that were very nice, in greater series (or in a series as great as they could sell them) ... a one-rotor roadster (Wankel-Spider), the Ro 80 (their most successful regarding number of units sold - their least successful regarding financial impact) ... and Mazda had at some time in the seventies at least one rotary engine for every car they offered. They're the only ones that still develop rotary engines. They go very, very well with Hydrogen, they solve each other's problems, kind of...

But ... they are reliable! The problems they had were solved in the late sixties - the apex seals need to have enough volume so using them up will take enough time not to bother the owner with repeated repairs of the same issue all the time ... it just doesn't look nice inside, but functionally, this is solved (there are marks of vibrating seals in the housing pretty fast ... but they run fine whatsoever). NSU's warranty-policy made them look unreliable, as they changed out every Ro 80's engine that didn't work well - often this was result of a bad carburator or the ignition system, nothing connected to being a rotary. They meant well, but ruined the reputation further by doing so.

The combustion chamber's shape, ... well, is quite close to the opposite of any desirable shape, and that is a major impacrt on efficiency that is not to be compensated by any of the potential advantages of a rotary engine (there are some). There are other issues, regarding load exchange, especially in low-load operation ... but that isn't as much of a problem. The major one still is the combustion chamber's shape.

The C-111 never exceeded 4 rotor engines. There were 3 and 4 rotor versions, providing between 300 and 350 hp - and it never went into series production of any kind, but was used as a testing device for a lot more than just engines. In total, there were 13 or 14 built, of which some looked very different from the versions most often meant by the name C-111 ... silver ones with a long, drag-reduced body (cW=0.183 - not bad...), somehow looking like some sort of streamlined insect, some were equipped with Diesel engines, used for a lot of records of which some may still stand today (I don't know, but guess so). A twin-turbo V8 based on the regular 4.5 liter engine was used in at least one, having about 500 hp.

Mercedes got a few checks without a number written in, signed, from rich people all over the world who wanted to have one, but they refused to build these. Not even a version with a normal engine and a steel body. Would have been cool enough for sure...

We get to another dream-fleet-member now ... a few years after the first C-111 was shown the public, BMW built a mid-engine sports car, powered by a straight six - these also run free of any vibration worth mentioning, had a then-new fourvalve head derived from the racetrack versions of their famous big six cylinder (around that time, or a bit later, a smaller one was introduced to fit the 3-series, also used in 5-series), which ... was a more conservative approach than a rotary engine, but still a major step forward (you can't value multivalve engines high enough ... as they can do exactly everything better than a comparable twovalve can, only making them is more expensive as a downside ... but efficiency and power benefit big time from this upgrade ... as long as we're not talking about toy-sized cylinders, things are different there, a bit ... anyway, it looked pretty edgy, the BMW M1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... mid engine, straight six, manual transmission ... it's a sports car - what is so attractive about these playstation-shifting-things behind the wheel? Another skill, not even one that's hard to learn, isn't required anymore... Solidly built, but still reasonable light, about 280 hp, low center of gravity (the only thing you can't replace in a car by any means), and it looks cool in my opinion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.