Dream car or Bike

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, May 4, 2020.

1. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    1954 Plymouth Explorer concept.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bertotti, Merc, G5422T and 1 other person like this.
  2. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    1954 De Soto Adventurer II concept. Sweet!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bertotti, Merc, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  3. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Harley Earl's obsession with jets
    [​IMG]

G5422T, new6659 and JC higgy like this.
  4. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    1956 Buick Centurion .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

G5422T, Bertotti, Merc and 2 others like this.
  5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    1956 Oldsmobile Golden Rocket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

G5422T, Merc, new6659 and 1 other person like this.
  6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    1961 Chrysler Turboflite .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

G5422T, Merc, new6659 and 1 other person like this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Anyone notice the resemblance to VW's Karman Ghia? They came from the same designer.

JC higgy, Merc and Sabato like this.
  8. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Mine was an '81, red with a camel top. It was great...for about 60,000 miles. Then stuff started breaking, and there was never an end to it.

G5422T likes this.
  9. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Fix It Again Tony

10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

I was constantly fixing things, but not the engine or drive train. It was pain in butt things like the window mechanism inside the door, dash stuff, etc. I loved that solid wood dash....Yummy

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Merc, MTurner and Sabato like this.
  11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    The most expensive free car I have ever owned. I was given a non running Fiat X19 by a friend that was moving. What a piece of crap. The transverse engine is mounted in a compartment snugger than any guitar fits it its case. I‘m surprised I have knuckles left. After months of work on most of it I was thrilled to sell it for exactly what I put into it in parts.

Countless hours of work, not rewarded:(

But it ran great and was a blast to drive.

Another web pic

DFD0B5F8-1960-4606-9A65-DF887BD5578A.jpeg

JC higgy, G5422T, Merc and 1 other person like this.
  12. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Yup.
    My problems were with the transmission and the electrical system. Mostly electrical. My long-time mechanic finally stopped working on Fiats. Mine was the only one he'd allow in his shop, and that only because I'd been a customer so long.

radd and Sabato like this.
  13. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I like those sayings, like Ford, found on road dead or fix or repair daily.. etc...
    My buddy came up with one for Exxon when they were Esso: every sucker stops once.

radd likes this.
  14. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My friend at work did an apprenticeship as a Ferrari mechanic. His favorite saying was "A Ferrari is the fastest car between 2 service points" ;)

Sabato, Tadhg, MTurner and 1 other person like this.
  15. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    One of my favorite twisted acronyms is not car related, but music related, so it kinda fits. BOSE, buy other sound equipment

MTurner likes this.
  16. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    I used to quote those to an acquaintance who was a Ford aficionado, and his retort was always, "First on race day."

Sabato and Merc like this.
  17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    A client of mine used to own exactly this model. Even the colour was the same.
    He allowed me to testdrive it and it was a great experience. This is a beast. You can make the wheels spin at 100 km/h! The motor is directly behind your head and it is screaming at you. No radio needed.
    The driver`s position is quite awkward. The steering wheel is in a strange position and there is no room for your left leg because of the wheel house.
    Quite a gas, gas, gas.

JC higgy likes this.
  18. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    My first employer (well, in this career - so, 20 years ago) had an X19 in the yard at work (an old house, abandoned for 45 years before he bought it. Barely changed while he ran his business from it - possums would fall through the ceiling! We used to think he lived in the back somewhere. The house burned down this year). The grass grew up through the body and was at roof height by the time I escaped (not a great employer). I was told (by a fellow employee) that it was fun when it was off the road, but had structural rust. The claim was that the coolant ran through the chassis rails, and the chassis rails had rusted out..? Seems a weird claim. But a sad demise for what looked a fun car.

The most hilarious automotive alliance I've seen has to be Microsoft running the ICE systems in Alfa Romeos. All because of the long history of stereotyping around computer companies and Italian vehicles' electrics. Mr Clarkson once said something like, "The Italians discovered electricity (Galvani), and haven't progressed since," feeding the stereotype about electrics in Italian cars. But then combining that with a computer company, which many would relate to crashes and reboots... Going off stereotyped reputations, you couldn't have a poorer combination to run your car stereo.

radd likes this.
  19. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    First On Race Day

Edit: @MTurner I read your post after posting. Guess it’s common so it must be true.

MTurner likes this.
  20. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Mr. Clarkson has a lifelong ban from my house he doesn't know about.

For this:

... btw, dream car of the day - Maserati 222, the most advanced threevalve-biturbo, almost identical to the SI-model of the years before - injection and intercooler were fianally present, both were not when they started building these - both crucial to turbocharged engines operating well, healthy and efficient ... but still this engine was one of the first that were made and meant to be turbocharged only, with a lot of details fitting this purpose and each other like a puzzle ... and still, these two essentials were missing, just while injection was taking over in cheaper cars, too (early to mid eighties), and intercooling ... serves efficiency, power, torque, response, reliability and almost every other thing one might like about an engine or should dislike the abscence of. It's a cheap heat exchanger, so I really don't get how Maserati could even try without.

Well, the later ones will serve me right. I'm not a first-series-guy running a museum, I'd wanna drive it, too, and the later ones are certainly far ahead of the early ones (they changed and improved a lot more stuff over the years).

Sabato likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.