Dream car or Bike

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, May 4, 2020.

1. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    1951 Buick Le Sabre ,i'm not too fond of the front end treatment ,but the rest is class.

[​IMG]

Merc, G5422T and new6659 like this.
  2. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    And the completely bonkers but cool 1956 Ford Mystere concept!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yukimajo, blueruins, Merc and 2 others like this.
  3. afire

afire Country Gent

Interesting. The fins on that car appears to be the origins of the Eldorado Brougham fins, which I don't recall seeing on any other Caddy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It does have a vaguely mole-like appearance. But still pretty cool in my book.

JC higgy, Yukimajo, Merc and 2 others like this.
  4. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    A car in my family’s past. My mom, independent woman living on her own in San Francisco in the thirty’s, learning to fly airplanes and driving this.

I found out about this car as a teenage when I showed her a photo of a stunning new Stingray that had these really cool flip up headlights. Mom laughed and said, my car had that in the 30’s, her Canery Yellow Cord....”no way, mom”. She said she had a crank on the dash to open them.

RIP mom

Again, a pic from the internet
    04809881-4DC1-49D2-93DE-8AB32E3BC580.jpeg

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    JC higgy, Yukimajo, blueruins and 5 others like this.
  5. afire

afire Country Gent

A friend of mine had a massive model Cord, maybe 1:4 scale. It was huge. But it was in a state of disrepair, missing parts, etc. I guess his dad must have built it years before and neglected it. But I so wanted it to be in pristine shape (and be mine) and have loved Cords ever since. Probably would have anyway.

Merc likes this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Rabbits first came out in the US in '75. Mine was made in the first 6 months as it had a carburetor, not fuel injection. It was a fun little car, especially after driving an Impala. I swapped the manifold and carb on it to one from a Dodge Omni 024 (same engine with MOAR tweaks) that was basically a long tube intake with a hot two barrel carb similar to one side of a quadrajet. Little beastie would scoot. It was also surprisingly great in Lake Effect snow.

Merc likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's easy to see that the GT6 is a hardtop Spitfire.
    View attachment 137724 View attachment 137725 [/QUOTE]I've had a TR-3, TR-4, Spitfire, and a GT6+. You'd have thought that I would've learned my lessons. The main drawback was Lucas electrics.

The Daytona would be lower maintenance.
    I worked at a gas station while in high school for awhile. Caddy owner laughed his head off while I hunted for this. The gas fillers behind the license plates were hard enough to find, but these, and mid '50s Chevys, were a PITA.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Merc, Sabato and radd like this.
  8. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I once drove a friend's Diesel Rabbit from Boston to DC. I learned then why truck drivers drive the way they do. Speed downhill, no power to go uphill. And BTW, put freight back on the RailRoads.

Tadhg, DennisC and Merc like this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    "Trains transport, trucks deliver."

Rabbit diesels got great mileage---45MPG, but were tortoises instead of hares.

Tadhg and Sabato like this.
  10. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Oh Man!!!!

JC higgy and Merc like this.
  11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ve never seen that one. It’s wicked good!

JC higgy likes this.
  12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Being a Cougar guy, I always wished they put the 1970 Cougar El Gato concept into production. I just loved the more fast back look over the production 1970.

CE3A6D75-D543-4F8F-B152-A84B57677AB8.jpeg BDA692A8-1F99-4EAC-86DE-DCFD37EE4D19.jpeg 1BF9ADD1-93AD-4557-91B9-48A00541B073.jpeg F9148FEF-2C9E-4FA1-9150-08FF3BA7EA3A.jpeg

13. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Here's one for @JC higgy
    If you want Ferrari and concept cars then how about the '70s glory that is the Modulo:
    [​IMG]

JC higgy, G5422T, Merc and 1 other person like this.
  14. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Beauty is, as they say, in the eye of the beholder but for me the Lamborghini Espada was the the most beautiful car ever built.
    It too is a Jay Leno car which he really enjoys driving.

espada 3.jpg espada 4.jpg

15. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    ... depends. The unlimited Autboahn still allows to drive as fast as physics allow. Which is ... I think it is cool. I like it. And, as I was (and likely will be again) going home for the weekends when working 400...700 kilometers away, I'd hate to waste even more time on the road just for getting home. Breaking the law here is pretty expensive, so I don't do that in any severe manner (I might roll into a limit and not brake - for ... uh ... ecological reasons, braking is wasting).

As we already hit the weirdness of showcars ... Alfa did a few nice ones in the fifties, with stunning low drag coefficient (somewhere in the 0.2 to 0.25 range), like ... this:

[​IMG]

The fins bowing inside ... today, an approach like that could committ real wonders regarding drag vs downforce ... as making this variable knocks off the compromise of having either this or that right. And they look cool!

[​IMG]

... and a group photo:

[​IMG]

stevo, JC higgy, G5422T and 3 others like this.
  16. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I worked with a guy that had one. He came back from a half-hour drive and I asked, "What did you burn, a quart?"

17. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Has this been posted already? 1970 Chevelle, Beautiful
    [​IMG]

stevo, Stefan87, Merc and 2 others like this.
  18. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Americans in particular have mistaken ideas about speeds on the Autobahn. The laws require vehicles in good condition and especially proper speed-rated tires. I managed a top end of 227kph in a rented Audi.

DennisC likes this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There are a lot of areas where you aren't allowed to go flat out as well. German police will also stop you for following too close---and making gestures. You couldn't drive in many places in the US without making gestures. In Germany, you drive. You're not on the phone, or eating or drinking while you drive. You just drive.

The Autobahn led to the US Interstates. After WWI, Eisenhower was in a unit that did a field trial to see how long it would take the army to go cross country. Due to 1918 era trucks and roads, it took 63 days of hardships and broken vehicles due to lack of roads. After Ike saw the Autobahns at the end of WWII he remembered them when he was elected, and in 1956, started the Interstate hiway system. All of them were set up for military use in an emergency, and each has one mile of straightaway out of every five miles in case an airplane needs to land. I remember travelling on pre-interstate hiways as a kid. You had to deal with things like the Chain of Rocks bridge over the Mississippi at St. Louis---a narrow two lane bridge with a 45 degree turn halfway across. The Bluegrass parkway has 15 mph curves on it. Even the Pennsylvania Turnpike has narrow lanes and sharp turns. Most were two lanes, with various levels of quality, iffy accommodations, speed traps, routes thru the middle of small towns, and other issues. National hiways were only started in the 20s, so, by the -50s, they were still under each states' controls, with varying results.
    Here in Indiana, we've got everything from 8 Interstates, to some of the earliest US hiways---the Lincoln hiway, the Dixie hiway, and the 1840 National Road, the first US hiway. We've got old horse tracks like the narrow two lane country road that was the hiway between Chicago and Detroit before the Civil War, and even older Indian trails.
    Those of you that don't remember how it once was are lucky. To appreciate it, take an old two lane state hiway sometime. You'll find that it's not fast, nor the best quality, but you'll find some interesting things along the way.

Merc and Sabato like this.
  20. afire

afire Country Gent

All the concept cars being posted lately got me wondering how long that's been a practice. Most you see are from the '50s or later. Evidently, the 1938 Buick Y-Job is considered to be the first concept car. Not a bad looker.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

new6659, Merc, JC higgy and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.