Drama as a kid on TV

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Has anyone mentioned Green Acres or Petticoat Junction? Anyone remember Mork and Mindy and the Happy Days crossover?

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I did the same when I built this house. Built her her own little condo into it. She has been with us since the end of 2007. She took care of herself at first but just kept getting worse. I found he unconscious in bed with a fever of 105.5 once. I had finished work early and got home by 0730, good thing another couple hours and she would have been gone. It still took 14 days in ICU for her to recover enough to get released. But O think it is good to take some responsibility for your parents and it’s good for my kids as well to see and help take some of that responsibility but you have to know when it’s time to throw in the towel. I can’t quit my job my wife needs to get back to work and the kids are back to school. So it was time. She seems ok with it so far.

Anywho, am I the only one with Mash, HRPuffinstuff, and Buck Rogears on DVD. We have other mentioned but these are classics to me.

You should read some of the liner notes on Puffinstuff. A show written to appeal to three distinct demographics. Puppets and animals with fun a story to appeal to kids, values and not to kiddy so middle class parents liked watching it with the kids, and all the psychedelic colors and such to appeal to the Stoney hippies! I had no idea that much though was put into it. There were also other shows like that. Signing and the Sea Monster, the bot I think played Jody in, was it called Famiky Affairs? And Lidsville! And how about the muppets! None of the good stuff are dramas as kids other than maybe MASH. But I’m about to pull my hair out from Little House overload. I hope she’s all moved into the home before she goes on a Walton’s binge! I also hated Dallas! And all those other soap operas and such! But ho didn’t love Jeannie!

3. Zeek

Zeek Country Gent

May 29, 2016
    Illinois USA
    I am looking forward to
    Decades
    Weekend Binge

The Prisoner
    1200x630bb.jpg

Highroller, new6659, audept and 3 others like this.
  4. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Is it:
    You are Number Six.

or is it:
    You are, Number Six.

new6659, audept and Zeek like this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    You're a good man Zeek . Your post has many life's lessons too . Seems we're cut from the same mold .....:)

6. The car is a puzzle.
    Be seeing you.

audept and Zeek like this.
  7. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    " Little House on the Prairie " was one of my favorite shows . i've seen every episode and sometimes still watch it when I can . F Troop is up there too along with Happy days , Night Court . Frazier and SOAP have to be two of the best written sitcoms ever written . And then theres Everybody Loves Raymond which the wife says that Ray and I are exactly alike ..... ( Peggy ...lol ) but my heart does go to Stephania who is actually an American born gal .
    But the one I favor the most ..................
    Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 5.43.29 PM.png

8. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Oh , Then Came Bronson and Petrocelli were great to as I would always watch the 2 shows with my father

9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Television has long been a mixed bag. Some shows, in fact many, seem contrived, and long ago I learned to decode the gimmicks and the direction of the script well enough that I usually knew what was going to happen next.

Some of the overwhelmingly wholesome shows, I found galling, not because of their wholesomeness, but because of how conspicuous they were about appearing wholesome.

With rare exception, I haven’t watched broadcast television in over 40 years. There were some high spots; I loved Bob Newhart’s two long-running sitcoms, and have both on DVD. His humor really appeals to me.

One thing I find interesting is that even shows I liked, back in the day, just don’t do as much for me anymore. I used to love Get Smart, but when I bought Season One on DVD, it just didn’t hold my interest. This has happened with other shows, as well; shows I truly respected, but once they came out on DVD, they just didn’t have the same effect as they had, back in the day.

Runamok likes this.
  10. afire

afire Country Gent

Arrested? Granted, the last time I saw Barney Miller, I was probably in single digit age. But my vague recollection doesn't include any actual police work. Just lots of office hijinks. I'm sure there was, but I don't remember it. Then again, I am old enough to remember Night Court's original run, and while a fair amount took place in a courtroom, there wasn't a lot of actual lawyering taking place either.

While most of the shows mentioned were from before my time, I still know most of them reasonably well. When I was a kid, pretty much all of the major shows from the '70s were still playing in syndication. And a decent amount from the '60s, and even a few from the '50s. Even before the advent of streaming, that practice seemed to have pretty much stopped. Other than Seinfeld and Friends, I can't recall much of anything from the '80s and '90s that was still playing on TV into the 2000s.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    SNL started in '76. M*A*S*H is still running. Star Trek, even the original series is still on. Networks like METV and TV Land are nothing but reruns. I still see horse operas from the '50s and '60s listed. Late PM/early AM has tons of older shows running in syndication.

Thankfully, BBC still runs Monty Python on occasions.

12. Some older series are fun to see here & there. Eureka.

Just not ready to imerse myself in what I watched as a kid. Right after that comes to dozing during one program & waking during another, confused as to the storyline progression.

Worse though, is not noticing the plot discontinuity.
    I think we are in a renaissance of superior writing in recent years.

MrWookiee likes this.
  13. Wholesome=Preachy. Its as though they felt not only were you supposed to conclude a sort of strict moral underpinning, they all but Krazy Kat hit you with a brick about it. Are we better or worse as a society in consequence?

The Get Smart series on DVD was painfully simplistic, though some ingenious gags which have become archetypes, but the Steve Carell remake missed the mark. Same old movie formula. Imagine Mel Brooks & Buck Henry Unchained.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    MrWookiee likes this.
  14. Xochi2

Xochi2 Gretschie

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    First of all, sorry to hear about your mother's situation. That's tough! Prayer said.

Going back to the 60s, I think of: McHale's Navy, even to this day when a sports team that I follow has a brutal performance I send this image, to a buddy who follows the same team(s)...I need not write anything. Can you guess what the tagline is? In 8th grade, I ran into this guy (2nd photo) at Universal Studios...

CptWallyBnghmtn.JPG MJLB_madras_LA_1966_EPSON002.jpg

Notice my madras shirt (w/fruit loop on backside), horn rimmed glasses, Brylcreem slicked back hair...YIKES!

There were other shows that I liked; Zorro, Have Gun Will Travel, F-Troop, Combat, Cisco Kid, Dragnet (always had a "clincher line" or two), Get Smart, Green Acres, Hogan's Heroes, Dobie Gillis, Mr Ed, etc., and that's not mentioning any cartoons.

new6659, Zeek, MrWookiee and 2 others like this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Thanks and very cool. The last time I was it Universal Studios someone in a Viper on the other side of the fence stops and yells hey Bertotti! I look and wave but only a hand popped up above the door. They never got out just drove away. I still have no clue who it was!

Do you remember CPO Sharkey?

MrWookiee and Xochi2 like this.
  16. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Synchromatic

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    Lost In Space, The Time Tunnel, Land Of The Giants.

MrWookiee likes this.
  17. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Synchromatic

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    From the USA - Lost In Space, The Time Tunnel, Land Of The Giants, Charlie's Angels, Starsky & Hutch.
    From the UK - The Sweeney, The Professionals.

Xochi2 and MrWookiee like this.
  18. afire

afire Country Gent

True, but those are all cable/satellite/streaming networks. What I was thinking about was when I was a kid (and cable didn't reach us out in the sticks) and just had four channels of network TV, these old shows were running all the time. Enough that a 5-15 year old kid would be pretty well familiar with all of them. Come to think of it, when in the heck did they find the time to saturate my consciousness with old TV? I think big four network TV has long been pretty much nothing but original* programming. I'm guessing that before the dawn of a million stupid talk shows, and reality shows (i.e., dirt cheap original programming), that space was filled by syndicated reruns, the original cheap source of content.

*I suppose one could say that not much of it is original. But you know what I mean.

MrWookiee likes this.
  19. Xochi2

Xochi2 Gretschie

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    A former roommate of our off campus residence, after college, bought a Viper...then "x" amount of years later, he WON one! But I doubt he was the one that waved to you. ;)

When I think of CPO Sharkey, the 1st image that comes to mind is from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, where in one episode the "Kelp Monster" was credited as, "The Kelp Monster" - Played by Itself." Here you go...CPO Sharkey...(on the R)

[​IMG]

MrWookiee and Bertotti like this.
  20. The Great Ballantine! Urulu & Bilko.
    A proper Chief Urulu in a remake would be John Goodman.

upload_2021-9-16_15-35-8.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    Xochi2 and MrWookiee like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.