Drama as a kid on TV

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Mom has been binge watching Little House on the Prairie. OMG what a sad depressing show. Always a life lesson of some sort but it seems someone is always hurt, or dead or some catastrophe. I have no idea, other than she can’t understand see or hear a great deal of it, can sit and watch so many episodes at once. @drmilktruck jas his how old thread and it got me thinking tue sitcoms of the 60’s 70’s were great but some of these shows were just so depressing! I know why I was always wandering off when these came on. I could easily go the rest of my life and not watch another episode. Her brother always said, “ Carol isn’t happy unless she’s unhappy.” Sadly now I am in the process of getting her into an assisted living home with skilled nursing. We just can’t take care of her anymore. Dementia, sundowning, falling a lot, a 24 hour job. It is only a 30 minute drive away, 20 miles so we can visit a lot, but I won’t miss the over loud RC and depressing old shows!

Give me some Gomer Pile, Andy Griffith, Hapy Day, Lavern and Shirley or any of Jane Garners stuff! Remember Maverick and then the next take on Maverick or my favorite, and really only thing my fad and I did together. Watching MASH! And let’s not forget the old super hero’s shows!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Xochi2, CBHScott, new6659 and 4 others like this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My favorites:
    Have Gun Will Travel, Gunsmoke, F Troop, The Honeymooners, All in the Family, Twilight Zone, Addams Family, so many good shows back then.

new6659, thunder58, Bertotti and 3 others like this.
  3. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Alias Smith and Jones, Barney Miller, MASH, The Wild, Wild West. And when I was little, these guys...

Lone Ranger and Tonto.jpg

4. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    I watched it as a kid. I loved Dukes Of Hazard better. The car crashes and jumps. I loved James Best. Walton's was boring to me as well. But now I have Little House on DVD and want them unedited o the new ones. And I love the Walton's. As a kid not so much. So taste change. Dad watched Highway To Heaven when he first got in church. I love it on DVD. every episode is on DVD in my house. Dukes Of Hazard as well. I belong to the clubs of these TV shows. Knight Rider I own, Quantum Leap, Incredible Hulk , and others. I love and have the Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pyle I have all of them on DVD Andy I'm missing 1 season. MR Rogers I like as well.

We all like different things. Mary Tyler More, I love Lucy, Lucy Show, Bob Newhart, Honeymooner's, Happy Days and others I have on DVD. I love Star Trek and have all of them and the others on DVD. Movies I have a lot on DVD Blu Ray. wrestling on DVD I have a lot. Cartoons too. I just got He Man 1980's ever episodes. I had He Man, She Ra, on DVD in a box set but certain episodes. If I counted the movies, TV shows, Cartoons, wrestling, and other stuff I have it would be a lot. Video games too. Arcades, music CD's, cassette tapes, etcc..

5. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    Of course we had italian TV shows over here (most of them were ugly) so I became a fan of Happy Days, spinoff Laverne & Shirley and Dukes of Hazard too, but my favorite ones were Sanford & Son and The Jeffersons.

6. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, I could never handle Little House either. Or that other one - The Waltons. Too schmaltzy. Just personal taste I guess, lots of people liked them.

Runamok, Bertotti and drmilktruck like this.
  7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    All those shows mentioned, only one was based on real events, Little House on the Prairie was based on the autobiographical book of the same name. Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote it.

It was a very popular series and loved by the females I knew back then.

CF8745AD-9D93-49B2-8E7B-10C5EC581A62.jpeg

8. Zeek

Zeek Country Gent

May 29, 2016
    Illinois USA
    S0rry to hear. Your situation is not an easy one it's not easy to take care of loved ones and not everyone is in a position to be able to.
    I was lucky enough to be able to take care of my grandmother my father and my mother in law.

We took up care of my grandmother then my dad then we had a little break and then my mother-in-law needed some help, she moved in with us I built an addition to the house a deck and a handicap ramp and she lived with us for a few years till the day she passed definitely not easy.

She couldn't get herself up out of a chair, physical therapy said she wouldn't .... but she did , We worked with her and she got to where she could get up and walk with a walker ,,, we were lucky.

As you said falls, having to bathe them everyday having to make sure they eat well to make sure they're safe and their last few years and moments or at least somewhat enjoyable.

We found projects for her to do. I had a 5 gallon bucket full of odd bolts washers and nuts I would dump a pile of that onto a tray every night and she had 4 or 5 butter tubs and a big spoon and she would sort through those bolts and nuts and put them in each individual bucket.
    I told her that a friend work in a machine shop and needed them to be separated and every night I put them all back in the five gallon bucket.
    If she knew what I did she'd killed me because she actually look forward to doing that every night we also had strands of cloth and I put a clamp on her table and she would braid them into what was a dog toy and after she would get a couple bags filled up I would take him in the other room and untie each and every one of them so that she can redo it again and again..... if she knew I was doing this she would have killed me again, lol.
    She braided during the day and bolts at night.

But it gave her something to do it gave her a sense of accomplishment and it helped pass the day but it was not easy ....Meals, Bath her, get her to the commode , get her to bed, get up every 2 hr to go to the commode and back to bed, Dr appointment's ect.. We had a big bell she could ring at night so she didn't get up by herself .... loud lol. Again we were LUCKY I was able to do these things and these things were doable... sometimes they are not.

A gate belt is your friend.

Again I was VERY LUCKY to be able to do these things, most people can not.

When my Dad was in the hospital rehab once I asked every nurse why they were nurses .... The answers were ...... enlightening .
    A FEW said because they cared about people , others welllll .... one said "It is warm in the winter and cool in the summer."

I love old tv shows from when I was a kid It was a time when I didn't know the world was ... what it is.

Little House on the Prairie if you're having a great day and you want to bring it down a little bit yeah watch that LOL ...... I have seen them all, LOL

Sorry for the long post.

The bell and a braid .. funny about the braid.. The strips were all different lengths 12inches to 5 feet so she would sort them then braid, she started trimming them with scissors after braiding them to make them even ... well when you do that then untie them they start getting smaller and smaller.. lol , I had to stop that.

20210915_071142.jpg

I hope it works out the best for you and your Family.

9. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    For a show that depicts the trials of early rural life in America, I always liked The Rifleman. Seems they were always having to deal with things like yellow fever, appendicitis, farm animal disease and other things that were real life or death matters during that period of time

audept, Bertotti and MrWookiee like this.
  10. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    @Bertotti - Best wishes for the new arrangements!

@Zeek - That was touching…..
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bertotti and Zeek like this.
  11. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    I think most the stuff he dealt with involved a rifle, thus the name. :)

12. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Hogan's Heroes, Firefly and (guilty pleasure) Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Also "The Boys" on Amazon Prime. Yeah, I'm all over the place.

Bertotti likes this.
  13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    The Rebel, Johnny Yuma. Nick Adams, one cool dude

2A1EEEFA-48C3-42DF-9830-2B80444CE1A9.jpeg

Wanted Dead or Alive, ya that guy, the coolest of them all

7BDFCDE3-8D5C-4C9E-82CC-8298337B244D.jpeg

Archtops, Jeff67, new6659 and 4 others like this.
  14. Zeek

Zeek Country Gent

May 29, 2016
    Illinois USA
    I enjoy watching the old shows and checking out the cool old cars and billboards.
    mannixs04e13avi_snapshot_2221_20170418_063622.jpg hyhyth.jpg

Detective Tv; Rockford, Mannix, Cannon, Starsky n Hutch all those.
    I ditched satellite tv and went antenna. Most the channels play all the old stuff I liked and didn't so I like it and save some cash.
    I did get peacock for a year but for me worth the price and still saving cash. WinWin

Bertotti and MrWookiee like this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Superheroes? I gave up on them when the guy that played Superman committed suicide.

Night Court is where the people that Barney Miller arrested went to trial.

Twilight Zone, Beyond Our Control, Outer Limits, Ray Bradbury Theater and so on are favorites. Alfred Hitchcock is up there as well.

Addams Family is far better than the Munsters. The Munsters were all taken from 1930's movies. The Addams Family all came from the strange, twisted mind of Charles Addams. I may be biased.

I miss things like Northern Exposure, Hill St. Blues, House among others.

I watch NCIS consistently. Don't care for the LA version, and I already miss the NOLA version.
    CSI not so much.

M*A*S*H lasted three times longer than the war. Go figure. Made death and suffering. Hogan's Heroes wasn't as good. The three main Germans on the show, Schultz, Klink and Gen. Burkhalter were all played by Jewish actors.

I've always tried to figure out the whodunits before the end of the show.

Unfortunately I can't get a lot of the History shows I like. Stupid cable people. How It's Made is always worth a watch. I like the Scientific stuff as well.

Bring back Firefly!

new6659, Bertotti and MrWookiee like this.
  16. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I loved the Addams Family and the Munsters equally.

Bring back Firefly... including Wash and Shepherd Book!

Archtops and Bertotti like this.
  17. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    The Alfred Hitchcock Hour had a episode called "The Final Escape" that I saw when I was a kid about 7 years old. I couldn't sleep a wink for about 4 nights after watching it. One of the most terrifying shows I have ever seen to this day. I catch it in reruns sometimes and still lose sleep after watching it

radd and MrWookiee like this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Don’t forget the Cisco Kid

Archtops, Jeff67 and MrWookiee like this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I live close to there and have actually worked with a Ingalls, yes a relative to the famous one. DeSmet is maybe an hour or so from me

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Sadly Shepard Book won’t be back but a spin off showing his path to Shepard and the guy at the end of serenity and their life style would be exciting.

Let’s not forget Zena and Hercules although I was well into adult hood for this and Firefly they were still good.

anyone watch any of the Japanese tv shows, Ultraman and the others? Campy but fun like the original Godzilla spin offs.

Or Zoro! We would run around with our homemade dealers scratching Z’s where ever we could!

MrWookiee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.