Dr Petty I Presume

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Dec 4, 2021.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    My son refuses to address me with "your holyness". He does not even answer with the "sir, yes, sir"-phrase.
    What a uncourtly little man. I wonder who taught him...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  2. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Ha ha, was that deadpan humor or did you think I didn't know the meaning of the word? (Btw it's the same word in French, the same latin root).
    I was rather wondering if there were other posthumous PhD from that university and what's the purpose of such distinction.
    Bob Dylan was granted a PhD from another university, but that was back in the 70s and he was alive and well (even if after his motorbike accident :D ).

drmilktruck and MrWookiee like this.
  3. scrimmer

scrimmer Gretschie

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    Actually, they're not quite the same.
    Nurse Practitioners work directly in clinical situations with patients.
    DNPs work more in managerial or in research positions, and not so much directly with patients in most cases.
    My wife got tired of years of floor nursing and pursued this course of study.
    What she does now exactly, I couldn't tell you other than she works from home now for some research firm that studies ways to make hospitals more safe and efficient for nursing,
    and makes the big bucks while doing it!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    Groutsch, MrWookiee and wabash slim like this.
  4. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    It varies by state. In Minnesota, the University of Minnesota Nursing School changed their NP program to be DNP only, so they're in both clinical and non-clinical roles.

scrimmer likes this.
  5. afire

afire Country Gent

One of the more awkward interactions I've ever seen was my brother running into a dentist he went to high school with at a bar. He said "Hey Joe!", and Joe firmly asked to be addressed as Dr. Huss. At a bar. Did I mention, this happened at a bar? And he wasn't joking. This was when my brother was a lowly nuclear engineer, working on his masters in physics, before going on to get his MD and PHD. But I've never once heard my brother refer to himself as anything other than "Rob", even when I've caught glimpses of him in a professional setting.

On a semi-related note, my dad told me the story of being out at the Platteville, WI, country club the night that the University of Wisconsin law school retroactively awarded a Juris Doctor degree to all alumni who graduated with LL.B and LL.M degrees. This would have been in the mid-1960s. He said all the lawyers in town got together to booze it up and all night grandiosely referred to each other as "Dr." so and so. But they were just having fun. The only lawyer I've ever met who actually referred to himself as "Dr." is a non-practicing law school graduate who failed admission to the bar (which isn't easy in Wisconsin, where almost no in-state graduate is required to take the bar exam).

6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Great stories.

7. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    My wife grew up in Lancaster which is about 20 miles from Platteville.

8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    When drafting documents, I have had lawyers ask to remove the ", Esq." but no one has ever asked to add ot. I prefer not having it.

MrWookiee likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    In some countries Doctor was common for lawyers (I know that Austria used to use it) but had largely fallen away by 2000.

I remember as a kid calling school principals Doctor. Musta been a PhD.

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Interestingly in the UK, surgeons are not called Dr, but Mr, reflecting their origin in barbers.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  11. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    I remember asking my dentist if he was qualified to be known as 'Doctor'.
    He replied that he was but never used the title unless he went to to US where apparently it got him better service in hotels and restaurants.

MrWookiee and drmilktruck like this.
  12. Ktone

Ktone Electromatic

Oct 31, 2021
    SE PA USA
    That story reminds me…

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Some ministers choose to use Dr. I assume those who do have a D.Min, D.Th or similar or maybe a PhD.

One place I see Dr frequently is in obituaries. (Occupational interest, to see if any of my current or past patients have died.) There's a wide range of uses, including MDs.

14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Doctor this, Reverend that. Those prefixes get thrown around far too much. Just like these days anyone who ever made a record is a rock star or anyone who ever hit a home run, pitched a shutout, scored a touch down or sunk a 3 pointer is a super star...:rolleyes:.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  15. Ktone

Ktone Electromatic

Oct 31, 2021
    SE PA USA
    Probably going on a little tangent here but…
    There are no more losers in kids’ sports. The worst you can be is: Participant. :confused:

drmilktruck and Gretschtim1 like this.
  16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah give them a trophy for being a loser. The best thing you can do is to tell them the truth.
    We all suck at something. I think you do more damage in the long run by telling them they are great at something when they are not. Imagine the disappointment when they try to make it in a profession and they don't get hired because they are terrible at it. It's better for them to find out early in life that life has it's high and low points and that there are always winners and losers.

MrWookiee and Ktone like this.
  17. “Calling Dr Howard, Dr Fine, Dr Howard.”
    upload_2021-12-9_0-50-15.jpeg [​IMG]

I once knew a doctor who wore a stethoscope at the bar to impress girls.

…Dentists tend to be an insecure lot.​

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  18. Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  19. reprising a 3 stooges or marx brothers routine.

MrWookiee likes this.
  20. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.