Doyle Dykes Playing Some Chet Atkins Music On His Vintage Double Cutaway G6120

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ZackyDog, Oct 7, 2021.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  2. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Thanks for sharing, I always like Doyle's playing.

Sonny Strimple, ZackyDog and j.s.c like this.
  3. gretscher09

gretscher09 Electromatic

Apr 18, 2009
    USA
    And with matching Orange amps no less!

ZackyDog likes this.
  4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    He gets a great sound/tone with that amp (!)

Sonny Strimple and gretscher09 like this.
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Nice work, and played on one of my favorite models of Gretsch.

6. Sonny Strimple

Sonny Strimple Country Gent

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    Everything he plays is fantastic. He is also extremely knowledgeable and a down to earth nice guy. He puts great stuff on line. Easy to learn from him. Can watch him play for hours at a time. I like to listen to his stories too.

7. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    He’s a great player and one of the better examples of Chet’s fingerstyle in our time.

Back in the ‘60s, playing like Chet seemed about as attainable as climbing Everest. There were a handful of people that were working along similar lines, but they were as rare as hen’s teeth. As a child, I dreamed of being able to play in that idiom, but wasn’t holding my breath.

Circa 55 years later, there are a lot of great examples of people that have mastered Chet’s style. Tommy Emmanuel, Doyle Dykes, Tom Bresh, and several others have made their own contributions to the genre.

I’ve gotten farther up Everest than I would ever have imagined possible, but the more I learn about it, the more I realize how broad in scope and rich in creativity, Chet’s playing was.

Anyone that can do justice to Chet’s style has my respect as a player. Even the simplest of his arrangements require forethought and good technique. Some of his more complex arrangements require knowledge of classical technique and some techniques that Chet may have developed, himself. He truly deserved the title Mr. Guitar, but it’s very pleasing that there are some fine artists advancing the art form.

Gregor and Sonny Strimple like this.
  8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Do you have an original G6120 Double Cutaway Nashville or a reissue?

9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Mine is a 2004, Dyna Gakki built RI. I’ve also owned a Terada built one, but the Dyna Gakki one is a pound lighter, and I liked the sound better. Mine is part of a limited run, finished in black, with gold (fake) “F holes”.

It is said that Gretsch sent Chet a 6120 DC and he kept it in his office at RCA for a while, mostly because liked the sound. Could be. They are a little different from most Gretsch, with a little bit more midrange, but definitely still in Gretsch territory.

For me, it’s sort of a special axe, in great part, because I fell in love with the 6120 “Chet Atkins Nashville Model” I saw on one of his album covers and imagined that this heretofore unknown (at least to me) Gretsch model was the true secret of Chet’s sound. Maybe this was the guitar all them Nashville Cats used, when no one was around to see ‘em and to steal their secrets. :)

What I like it for today is the fact that it’s a lightweight guitar that feels fairly small when I hold it, but has a wonderful sound. Beyond that, it plays as nicely as any guitar I’ve ever played. The neck is astounding!

The only analogy I can make would be that my Country Gentleman is like a full-sized Mercedes which handles great and and rides very comfortably. The 6120 DC is like a mid-sized Mercedes that is every bit as great in handling, ride and performance as the full sized one, but is smaller and lighter. Sometimes, a smaller guitar just feels more comfortable.

Actually, most of the time, a smaller guitar feels more comfortable. These days, I only break out the Gent for coronations and other special events. :) I think I’ll use the DC at my next indoor gig.

10. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    g6120dc black.png @Synchro

Nice, and looks like a Gent but about a 16" bout, in lieu of a 17". I once had an original/1962, orange double cutaway.

Gregor and thunder58 like this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Doyle's great . Nice video , thanks

ZackyDog likes this.
  12. Sonny Strimple

Sonny Strimple Country Gent

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    When I was a teenager (in the fiftys) I
    In the 50's/60's I wad fascinated with Chet'S style of playing and his great looking Gretsch guitars. At that time I could only dream of being able to play anything at all like Chet (that part remains the same). That was when I was in my teens. In my later years (to my amazement) I discovered how to play the baseline and the melody at the same time. I was ecstatic when I did that! I was in heaven! I'm a very far distance from playing like Chet or Doyle, but I love to play just for the enjoyment and self satisfaction it gives me. You never stop learning or dreaming to play better and that makes it even more fun. For now I just keep on pickin!

ZackyDog likes this.
  13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It looks like a mini Gent and has all of the class of the double cut Gent, but it’s small and light.
    No matter how much I learn, there is always more out there to that I can add to my skill set. It’s that way for everyone, at every level. Even Chet himself spent some time in the ‘80s learning from younger players and incorporating new ideas and skills into his playing, and pursuing a new audience.

I would love to play more of the classic boom-chuck that Chet played, but it’s not something that I can work into our setlists all that often. But I still use Chet’s harmonic ideas all the time.

Sonny Strimple likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.