Done buying Straps???

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Randy99CL, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    HA! These threads have been fun.

What about it, anyone have enough straps?

Two things affect my strap purchases: I am cheap (but appreciate good stuff) and don't automatically do things the old ways.

Instead of a permanent strap on each guitar I like to remove them before I put my guitars into their cases, no worry of the strap marking the finish but even better is that I can roll up the strap and jam it somewhere where it might help keep the guitar from moving around inside the case. On some (often T-types) I put it between the headstock and end of case to stop that movement, sometimes between the body and the case divider, etc., wherever I think it might help.

Strap Locks allow that to happen, I've been buying the Dunlop as they are cheap and work great (and recommended by pros). On sale for only about $12 a set and you can buy just the buttons ($7) to add to new guitars and save $$$ there. And when you can easily switch straps you can buy only one if you want, how cool is that? Save a ton of money that way.

I own 18 guitars but only about a dozen straps as I can play any combination I want.

I have collected a few special straps that work especially well for one guitar, e.g. I bought a pair for over $115 (Italia Leather Straps, on sale) that are worth the money as I can use them on any of my guitars. One 4" wide Italia Strap for my Epi full-weight LP that really makes it much more comfortable and a 3.5" that looks fantastic with my Gibson LP. And BTW the Italia Straps (a sponsor of this site) are handmade and absolutely top quality materials and workmanship! Beautiful, could not be better!

Fender sells a Tweed vintage strap that looks perfect on my Butterscotch Blonde '51 Pawn Shop (S-type).

My avatar pic shows a Slick strap from GFS that looks amazing with my G5129, especially because the patches reflect the rank I earned while in the Navy.
    GFS Strap A.JPG AT-2 Crow.jpg

GC had some economy Perris 2.5" Black straps that are real leather for only $15 each. The inner surface is rough and grippy for guitars that may try to neck-dive.
    Boca Fence 3a.JPG
    Perfect for this Dean Boca 12 and the only guitar I've not used locks on, the Martin strap adapter is the only way to balance the weight of the heavy neck/headstock.

This orange Gretsch looks fantastic on my Walnut Stain G2622.
    Gretsch Strap.jpg
    What about you? How about some pics of your best combos!

2. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    No pics but I have a couple of nice Italian straps...
    Drum Bob approved! ;)

mrfixitmi, thunder58 and blueruins like this.
  3. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    64CB7389-0CFD-4AC0-915D-76DCD8110AED.jpeg
    i’ve got about 5 of these in black. They feel and look right to me. Funny enough I was looking for something more flash this morning but I can’t find anything I think I’d like as well.
    Maybe I’m done?

4. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    When I used to gig I put a safety pin between the strap button knob and the strap itself. Worked well with Rick bass strap buttons. Never came off even if I got little exited. Very cheap strap locks. :D

MrWookiee, MotorCentaur and mrfixitmi like this.
  5. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Got a few straps that all do the job, want to get a few more though as my ones now a bit on the old side, nothing flash as I only use the ernie ball poly straps, am aiming to have all my main guitars to have the same strap locks so I can easily change straps too.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  6. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    DiMarzio ClipLocks on everything except the acoustics.

-m

7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Only a few of us get that ....lol :p

capnhiho, speedicut and freddyfingers like this.
  8. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Actually , DrumBob and I had this strap made years ago by member Richmoo . Best $60 I ever spent . I spoke with Rich some years back and he had told me his health was bad . Haven't seen him on the forum in years so I fear the worst .
    IMG_0297.JPG IMG_0296.JPG
    I also have a few made by LM products and this one is a Walker & Williams ( I have 2 of these ) I like the " Leather and Ring " look
    IMG_0670.jpg

9. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've got straps that I've never used.
    I've got a strap that goes back to the early '70s.
    I've a couple of cloth one, but mostly leather.
    I don't want one with a bunch of metal pieces on it---scratches guitars, y'know.
    Nice leather, comfortable straps are what it's all about.
    Don't need any more, thankfully.

Flouswa likes this.
  11. Scamp

Scamp Gretschie

Feb 22, 2018
    SoCal
    If you leave your strap on your guitar while in the case and might be worried about scratching the guitar, after I fold the strap into a spot, I wrap it with my micro fiber towel that I use to wipe my guitar down before putting it in the case.

12. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Just looking for some good Hendrix style straps and I’m done.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  13. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Years ago I was gifted a Taylor 510 from my wife's aunt , it was my wife's deceased uncle's guitar . It was left in the case , stored in a ( all 4 seasons ) barn in Maine . I took it out of the case and the guitar was laying on top of the " pleather " strap . Pealed it away and left some of the pleather on the back of the guitar and the pick guard was also lifting :eek: I had it serviced / repaired by a great luthier but I still never bonded with the guitar . That was ok anyway as about 5 years later the daughter asked if she could have it so I shipped it to her in California

14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Every new guitar gets it`s special strap.
    So I will be done buying straps the same day I will be done buying guitars.

15. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    These are the last three I've bought. The middle being most comfortable.
    Love the Aztec pattern strap, but not really soft.
    Still seeking the perfect strap without spending silly money.
    IMG_8700.jpeg

16. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Done buying Straps???

I'm not sure, but probably yes - I have my private reserve :D - but my rule is "to each guitar her strap", so... o_O

[​IMG]

All-leather, Artisanally made in France, by the ex-foreman of Charles Jourdan, a reputed French shoe-maker.

Les Bretelles de Guitare Blésès is a family business, and they know their job, using premium quality leather with traditional workmanship, and products built for a lifetime... http://www.patrick-bleses.com/

A+!

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  17. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Every guitar of mine has its own strap. Currently I'm shopping for a strap for my cvc tele. It has to have a suede underside for grip on my shoulder. I also greatly prefer some sort of buckle adjustment over the exceedingly common threaded tongue style adjuster.

I'm 90% sure I'll be getting the Fender embossed 2" wide in brown. However, I need to get the old stock as the new ones have a finished leather underside.

18. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I keep seeing Italia straps with their promos on here, keep thinking about trying one out, maybe. Anybody got one?

(No, no, most of the babies still get their DiMarzio ClipLocks. This would be for an acoustic, or maybe my 5120.)

-m

19. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    just received this as a gift from my new friend for putting his vintage ibanez pedal back together, over at https://moodyleather.com/star-straps.html in San Diego County. gaaawd
    This thing is butter soft w hand stitched gold foil stars for my ol' 86'canadian Martin D-35 clone. If you have a guitar you love and you like to leave the strap on in the case, this is the strap!
    moody leather tavo acoustic.jpg

blueruins likes this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I could use a couple more just because I don't think a couple I have worked as well as I would like. I have kind of bonded with the Walker and Williams so at some point they will all be those.

mr coffee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.