Does ProCo Rat2 need the LM308 chip?

Littlewing555

Gretschie
Oct 25, 2014
Boston
Thinking about trying one if these out; is the sound from the new ones that much worse than the Rats w/ the LM308 chip? Also, wouldn't you just have to pull the socketed IC Chip out and connect the LM308 chip back in the socket? Any help would be great! Merry Christmas!

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
Rat Pedals are too often misunderstood.. they were never meant for little 5watt bedroom volume amps unless those pea shooters are cranked. Once you have set your amp to a place where the speaker and power tubes are responding to your string attack, its at this place that taking the rat pedal to the amp, results in a cool rock n roll overdrive. As well, the rat pedal needs to be set up for its sweet spot with your amp and guitar. The usual guitar center guy keeps its output volume low and dimes the gain control which is seriously crap.. Open up the output volume to about 3/4 up, then slowly raise the input gain control to where the clean sound of the guitar jumps up and then slightly take the gain up higher.. the tone filter can then be adjusted to smooth out the texture as the gain increases. This set up results in the rat pedal sounding its best. Think Dean Deleo from STP for a cool Rat meets AC30'ish sound..

all that said, replacing the chip with the original LM308 is a start but its the sum of all the parts to get a vintage rat sound. I firmly believe in also using a good output transistor and using high quality capacitors. In all the vintage rat clones I've built its never one part that changes the texture and response.
If you have the ability to solder/resolder grab an old bud box style rat pedal and swap in a small cart of parts for a great sounding RAT that works at low gain and high gain.

nickurso

Gretschified
Dec 24, 2012
New Orleans la.
The Nocturne Brain is an American company that makes a great boutique version of a rat box. It's called the Ubangi Stomp. This pedal not only sounds great but is really versatile. It doesn't sound fizzy at low gain settings. I can get everything from a low gain to Ozzy Randy Rhoads sounds. I did a demo video. I have a few demos of the pedal comparing it to other pedals http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJwHJKYCmh4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agbx1j18kVw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDooIgb7keg

There is a big difference in a pedal with one good chip from a pedal built well with all good stufz inside. Especially when the builder really cares about his products. You can see them at thenocturnebrain.com

Last edited:

Littlewing555

Gretschie
Oct 25, 2014
Boston
Rat Pedals are too often misunderstood.. they were never meant for little 5watt bedroom volume amps unless those pea shooters are cranked. Once you have set your amp to a place where the speaker and power tubes are responding to your string attack, its at this place that taking the rat pedal to the amp, results in a cool rock n roll overdrive. As well, the rat pedal needs to be set up for its sweet spot with your amp and guitar. The usual guitar center guy keeps its output volume low and dimes the gain control which is seriously crap.. Open up the output volume to about 3/4 up, then slowly raise the input gain control to where the clean sound of the guitar jumps up and then slightly take the gain up higher.. the tone filter can then be adjusted to smooth out the texture as the gain increases. This set up results in the rat pedal sounding its best. Think Dean Deleo from STP for a cool Rat meets AC30'ish sound.. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVD0JVnsXXw">YouTube Link</a> all that said, replacing the chip with the original LM308 is a start but its the sum of all the parts to get a vintage rat sound. I firmly believe in also using a good output transistor and using high quality capacitors. In all the vintage rat clones I've built its never one part that changes the texture and response. If you have the ability to solder/resolder grab an old bud box style rat pedal and swap in a small cart of parts for a great sounding RAT that works at low gain and high gain.

Wow, you have always have the most friekin informative responses I've ever read! You have my respect with your knowledge. I build pedals too but I still suck at it. Too impatient I guess. Anyways, what do you think of Cmatmodds Ratified? Thanks, and nice reference to Dean Deleo - one of the great rock roll guitarists, totally overlooked, but he had that certain TONE that was completely his own and envied by thousands.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
thanks Littlewing! I am not making the Ubangi Stomp right now, its on hold. Too much work and too much competition.
If you do hobby building you should for sure get an affordable rat clone or original and pull some parts, put sockets in and start experimenting around to find what works for you. Do a bit of research on measuring hfe on transistors, forward voltages on clipping diodes, and maybe swapping out the E-caps for tantalum.

Got to be careful on heat with those and then you'll have to replace some of the resistors with low tolerance metal film to bring down the noise. I havent paid attention to what other guys are doing with their rat clones because I have been focused on creating a particular response with that circuit for gretsch guitars.

silentsmith

Aug 6, 2022
New York
ProCo Rat2 - amazing pedal. More versatile than you would maybe expect, and an incredible steal at its typical price. Not just a one trick pony as far as tones go: Can to light overdrive when turned low, and is almost a fuzz pedal once you the knob cranked high enough. Fantastic build quality, as well.

silentsmith

Aug 6, 2022
New York
This might be what you’re looking for. Seems to cover all the Rat bases:
Not a bad pedal. Used it a couple of years ago. The only thing I'm concerned about is that pedal picked up a local radio station. I've experimented with a variety of power sources, but I still receive the radio signal.