Does my Gretsch have long tenon neck?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Proxy, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Proxy

Proxy Electromatic

Dec 28, 2020
    California
    Would a Japan-made Players Edition Jet have a long tenon neck construction?

The sonic things I love about my Jet are similar to the sonic things I love about my Les Paul, and I’m trying to understand the commonalities. They both have a similar type bridge and both feature mahogany, so either or both of them could be key contributors.

Wondered if similar neck construction might be a factor as well.

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Define “sonic things you love”. It seems Long tenons don’t contribute as much to sustain as is popularly believed(it’s girth, no really).

Mr Swisher likes this.
  3. Proxy

Proxy Electromatic

Dec 28, 2020
    California
    Would rather avoid that specific debate and just understand similarities and differences between the models out of a broader curiosity and love of guitars.

Ricochet likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    6CD0E4F5-0A3D-4777-89B9-71800BA07AE5.jpeg Where does the heel begin? What fret? This one is a short join.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I would love to know too but have no idea of their construction. Do they have a Dovetail or Mortise/tenon joint?

Back in Black likes this.
  6. 65club

65club Electromatic

Jul 31, 2017
    USA
    Don't intend for this to sound mean but, long tenon as compared to what? Unless Gretsch has changed the length of it's tenon at some point, there is no long nor short tenon, there is only the tenon they use.

Is it the same length as Gibson's tenons, either long or short? Most likely not. Is it the same width or depth? Again, most like not, they're two different guitars manufactured by two different companies. Does the tenon extend past the end of the fingerboard as Gibson's long tenon does? Also most likely not, but it's easy enough to pull the neck pickup and have a look.

Ricochet likes this.
  7. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    R,

The Electromatic, as shown is a simple ''pocket'' joint.

On the professional models it's a little more complicated. A pinned butt joint, with a cantilevered floating heel. Strength comes from applied string tension.

At the top of the body, there is a neck support block. the neck is glued on both contact surfaces and pinned/pegged, with support coming from the cantilevered neck heel. Simple/strong.

Best,

BIB.

DSCF1341.JPG DSCF1327.JPG DSCF1343.JPG DSCF1344.JPG

mrfixitmi, Proxy and Ricochet like this.
  8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Long as compared to short.

Anywho, imo it is really only relevant to double cut jets. Some have the short tenon with the joint at the 19th fret. Others, like the traditional firebird, have the long tenon with the joint at the 16th fret, which is the same as single cuts, and as shown in BIB's picture above.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.