Dodged another huge health bullet!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by audept, Aug 19, 2020.

1. 1883

1883 Gretschie

Apr 12, 2015
    Aotearoa
    All the best Audept. Good to see that the hospitals still perform necessary services other than Covid19 related ones.

mrfixitmi and audept like this.
  2. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Prayers that your surgery goes well. Benign thyroid lesions sometimes disappear with turmeric supplements and prayer.

3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Life’s a roller coaster. Will be praying for your surgery and healing.

4. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Hang in, will be thinking of you

audept and mrfixitmi like this.
  5. wizard_23

wizard_23 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Wishing you all the best with everything, take care.

6. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    You’re going to feel such relief a week from now. And you didnt want a custom shop white falcon anyway.
    Will be praying for the surgery, for the health professionals on your team and of course for you pal.

7. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    Be well, always enjoy your posts

8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Thank you, friend. She is already ill with borderline and this is so scary.

audept likes this.
  9. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    Sending prayers and good mojo your way, to both of you. Early detection is the best way to go.

audept likes this.
  10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Thank you all so much for your kind concerns. This thread was not meant to garner sympathy (although it is very much appreciated), rather than to spread the message of health self-awareness and vigilance. Early diagnosis and treatment yields the best outcomes, especially as we get older. It's also a reminder that whilst we are consumed with anxiety over the Coronavirus, the same medical conditions that we were suffering before the pandemic are still causing as much damage as before. Don't put off checkups or treatments regardless of the difficulties caused by the extra stress on our medical systems. I have survived so far due to early interventions. I have spent a lot of time and money and endured uncomfortable and undignified procedures just so I have a long list of conditions I DON'T have, which is very comforting. If you worried about something, please get it checked out ASAP it's worth it for the peace of mind alone.
    I just got home from my yearly stress-echo heart test. Good news, no deterioration since this time last year so I'm feeling pretty positive today. Once again, thank you all. I'm so proud to be among friends who are the best bunch of people on any forum on the internet.

Ricochet, mrfixitmi, section2 and 9 others like this.
  11. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Praying for you, your family, the surgeon and attending nurses. Get well soon

mrfixitmi, MTurner and audept like this.
  12. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Wish you all the best and a quick recovery.

And you sure are a way smarter guy than I am, I've been having a large mole on my left side that I should have had checked for years. Now I can tell myself it would already have killed me if it was malignant, but I know I'm sooooo stoopid.

13. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I hear ya! After surviving prostate cancer, I no longer have any dignity at all. :D (That biopsy was a real hoot!)
    Best of luck to you! It sounds like you're doing everything right.

14. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    No time like the present! The peace of mind from having the biopsy come back "all clear" will be worth the trouble and expense, and if it finds something wrong, you'll be glad it was sooner than later.

15. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The hospital just texted me all the admission info: 7am Sydney time tomorrow and all the fasting requirements. Only 1 designated visitor (Mrs Audept) allowed for 1 hour per day. I won't be taking a computer with me so I will be offline until Saturday evening Sydney time. I'll catch up again then.

16. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Best of luck! Catch you on the weekend :)

17. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    How things change: today I negotiated a 15% discount on the Anaesthetist's fee by paying upfront! Saved me more than $200! :cool:

18. THE BALD REVEREND

THE BALD REVEREND Electromatic

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    Hi , i guess it's not been so easy to unveil such a personal situation . By the way glad for you things are goin' in the right direction . Let's Gretsch !

19. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    Wow!!! That's incredible. Well done. All the best for the procedure.

For our non-local friends, if you choose to go private health in Australia, the system is that 75% of the 'scheduled' fee is covered by the federal government (Medicare), and the remaining 25% is covered by your insurer. But doctors aren't required to stick with that scheduled fee. So the health funds have agreements with hospitals and doctors. Most times, you can avoid or minimise the gap. Audept will have a set 'excess' ('deductible') with the hospital, whether it's one night or a month. But the doctors' gaps can vary. If they're the acknowledged 'best', you're more likely to have a gap, and a larger gap (though I have no idea how people rate doctors - we had the 'best' local private obstetrician for our last child's birth, I'm adamant he almost killed my wife and daughter through utter negligence - even the theatre nurses whispered comments along those lines).

The exception to that rule (gap agreements) is Anaesthetists. They know there's no such thing as competition there (not that there's ever truly competition in surgery) and they are tied to the surgeon and hospital (i.e. those two will choose the anaesthetists they trust - the patient doesn't really get a say) - so they do whatever they want. To the extent that my son (15, in Year 10) wants to go into the medical sphere purely because he saw a quote from an anaesthetist a few years ago. :D I think it was just shy of $600/hour (in a regional centre - they're higher in metropolitan areas). :mad:

So, to get any form of discount from an anaesthetist is a huge achievement. :cool:

MrWookiee, mrfixitmi and audept like this.
  20. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Best of luck with the procedure, Wyn!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.