Do you watch PBS?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Randy99CL, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I don't recall who the host was but read somewhere that it aired on the now-defunct Audience Network, so it could very well have shown up on PBS, too. IMDB says there was only 1 season / 6 episodes (none with JL Hooker) so I must be confusing two diffent documentary series'. My memory has a tendency to do that, as I recall. :confused:
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5880736/episodes/?season=1

wabash slim likes this.
  2. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Last night I watched the PBS "In Their Own Words" on Chuck Berry. It recycled a great deal from "Hail Hail Rock 'N' Roll", the DVD set I've had for years. Added probably ten minutes of new biographical stuff and footage of today's Keith Richards. I still enjoyed it but it was not as good as what I'll call the original. I previously did not know about the role pianist Johnnie Johnson played in launching Chuck Berry.

T Bone and wabash slim like this.
  3. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    But in "Back to the Future" it was revealed that Chuck's cousin Marvin helped Chuck find his new sound.

capnhiho and Sabato like this.
  4. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    wabash slim likes this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The vocals I can't deal are Lindsey Buckingham's. Musically, I really like Stevie's "Sorcerer", but the lyrics don't have much substance to them. Almost anything would sound good with Mick Fleetwood and John McVie as the rhythm section.

Side note: WTTW Chicago PBS is running Ken Burns' "Country Music" in it's entirety as I type this. Been running it all night long.

PBS has nothing to compare to SpongeBob. My 5YO grandson loves SpongeBob. It's one of the very few kids' shows that I can tolerate. There's a spinoff--- "The Patrick Star Show". There is some much idiocy on SpongeBob that goes over the kids' heads. That's what makes it great. Fires that burn underwater. Bikini Bottoms (always a good thing). Skin diving squirrel. Squidward only has 6 tentacles. Mr. Crab, who speaks with a seriously gruff voice by Clancy Brown) sings tenor. He has a daughter that's a whale---a mammal. His restaurant is called The Chum Bucket ( a fishy greasy spoon) and is housed in a lobster trap. It's all just SO wrong. And funny.
    '

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    MrWookiee likes this.
  6. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    It's just another TV network as far as I'm concerned. Some shows are better than others. Nothing I can't live without, that's for sure. I used to watch it a whole lot more back in our broadcast/cable days. Now that we do the Roku/streaming thing it seems we're limited as far as what "content" we can watch without paying a monthly subscription fee.

Like that's gonna happen ... Bwa Ha Haaaaa! :rolleyes:

MrWookiee likes this.
  7. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    No offense meant to SpongeBob! I enjoyed it with my kids, and while he is a smidgen too young our grandson discovered it recently when were traveling and stayed in a motel with limited cable tv options. It was the campfire and Spongebob piloting a propeller-driven airplane (complete with piston engine noise and the inevitable crash/explosion) episodes that literally made me laugh/yell, "BUT THEY'RE UNDERWATER!!!" Great, mindless/smart fun!

wabash slim likes this.
  8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    IMO, great children’s literature or television should contain some humor that may go over the heads of small children. Spongbob is “nautical nonsense”, by its own words. The thing is, children are possibly inexperienced, but they aren’t stupid, and they get at least some of the satire. I watched Rocky and Bullwinkle as a kid and delighted in the satire that was slathered on with a broad brush.

Gilligan’s Island was highly satiric, where a group of people on a three hour tour somehow had enough luggage on board to keep them well dressed for years on end, and the ultra rich Howells seemed to have trunks full of clothing with them. Even the creators of the show stated that the Howells were a way of showing that in any situation, the wealthy always seemed to find a way to live a bit better.

Winnie the Pooh had some satire as well and was much more than simply a fairy tale for children. The characters were very good representations of society as a whole. You could create human characters with these personalities and have a great ensemble cast for a comedy.

The satire and humor in children’s literature and television leaves room for the children to grow as they revisit cherished tales from their earliest years. I enjoyed Winnie the Pooh when I was in my preschool years, and even as an adult, I find it truly entertaining and charming. It was a series of stories that parents could enjoy reading to their children and that children could enjoy reading on their own, as they grew.

BrianW, MrWookiee and sgarnett like this.
  9. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I saw the Chuck Berry program, enjoyed it. Haven't seen the Buddy Guy show yet but plan to stream it.

It was mentioned elsewhere, but it is available to stream on their site, for the next 3 weeks or so (at least here in the States, not sure if also available in the U.K.).
    Again, streaming available on their website for the next few weeks. Can even cast it to a smart tv.

Aparantly the same part you don't (you know, the highly political comment you made right after saying "not to get political, but").

I agree. And generally I bite my tongue. Curious though why a vague comment like this one was called out, while a little earlier an overtly political comment by the OP naming a certain politician in a critical manner was let slide. Oversight I presume.

10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Saying “not to get political”, then making a political comment is getting political.

Ok, this thread is done. It’s been a series of reports and complaints.

11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Sometimes it just comes down to what is reported. The point here is not to squelch opinions, which we are all entitled to, but the minute political content hits the forum it boils over. I delete posts which agree with my opinions just as often as I delete posts with which I disagree.

T Bone, NJDevil and thunder58 like this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Gang ,
    @Synchro has warned some of you regarding this thread . And while others read the warning , members continue to ignore the warnings which makes things difficult for the both of us . Remember ..... we're all here to have fun , not aggravation

wabash slim, NJDevil and MrWookiee like this.
  13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    T Bone replied before I locked it. No harm, no foul.

T Bone likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.