Do you watch PBS?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Randy99CL, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

I mostly like the PBS music show's myself. Been watching for years.

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Other aspects about ( especially Chicago/WTTW) PBS that I like---
    Wild Chicago
    Geoffrey Baer's Chicago history and his other programs
    Soundstage (WTTW's answer to Austin City Limits)

PBS in general---
    Ken Burns! The Baseball, Jazz, and Civil War series especially.
    PBS brought Monty Python, Mister Bean, and Doctor Who to our shores!
    Decent kids' shows that aren't toy or cereal commercials.

MrWookiee and NJDevil like this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The hosts may get paid well, but the local workers are not.

4. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    The link in my first post is to the streaming copy of the 1.5 hour documentary. Will be available until 8-24.
    But naturally I don't know if you can see it overseas.

5. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I know I did some work for them a few years back and found that out -
    But the people higher up running things are making lots of money Via tax payer's dollars. I don't make donations to them - I figure they get enough of my money...:D. I rather give to St. Judes or other organizations that actually put the money to good use.

wabash slim likes this.
  6. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I love PBS and have a few channels out here on Long Island. "Create TV" is on WLIW here and loaded with cooking shows which I love. Ken Burns documentaries and a whole bunch of other hidden gems.

I'm a huge Buddy Guy fan so will keep a lookout for that documentary also.

7. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I've seen a couple of episodes of an Ernie Ball-sponsored documentary-type interview show that seems very elusive. Not sure whether it was on PBS. "Pursuit of Tone", or some such. Great episode with John Lee Hooker, and another with (I think) Buddy Guy. Wish I could find a regular, or at least predictable broadcast.

8. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    What part of "No Political Comments" do you not understand??

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    No politics!

Gents:
    This has been a time of unrest and turmoil in the political world. I don’t imagine for one millisecond that everyone will ever agree, but let’s keep it off that forum. This is a haven.

I was thinking the same thing.

10. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    PBS has its' streaming service and anyone can watch those documentaries when they want. They'll only be available until 8/24 but that's more than 3 weeks away.
    I believe that if you pay to become a member you can stream everything anytime you want.

In my first post to this thread the link takes you to stream them, you don't have to wait until they are broadcast again.

11. afire

afire Country Gent

I saw Buddy guy a few years ago. For some reason my wife got a couple of free tickets. I love mostly pre-1960s blues, and harbor a semi-irrational bias that Strats and everyone who plays them ruined the genre (not that I’m really qualified to hold such a hot opinion). Not knowing Buddy Guy beyond a a vague idea that he was a familiar name with a Strat, I was kind of expecting to be bored. I couldn’t have been more wrong. For one thing, despite being over 80, he owned the stage like he was 25. But his playing was entirely unlike anything I’ve ever heard. I described it to somebody as atonal, but had my wrist slapped and was told that “outside playing” was the term my simple ignorant brain was looking for. I’m not going to say it was my favorite, or the best show Ive been to, but I can easily say it was the most interesting and engaging guitar playing Ive had the chance to witness.

new6659, Randy99CL and MrWookiee like this.
  12. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    "The Day" from Deutsche Welle, or DW. Very insightful & not afraid to ask the tough questions.

I know what you mean, I'm a news junkie, but when the majority of news events stem from human stupidity it can just become an infuriating experience.

13. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    Wife and I watched the Fleetwood Mac Rumors last night. It was pretty interesting. I had heard a lot of the drama before, but not lined out in their own words. Stevie still takes a shot a Buckingham every chance she can. The one I laughed out loud about was when she said something about getting along, "when he was happy with me." But I guess it is that drama that made the album what it was.

But the more interesting part was isolating some of the tracks on stuff like Chains. I hadn't realized, probably because I never thought about it. How comfortable Buckingham is with the Dorian? I got to start doing more of that! McVey was a really good pianist and was able to really work well with him. And vice versa. I always really like the Rumor album, but never put much thought into it. Turned out to be a good guitar lesson on Lindsey Buckingham's work on Rumors.

j.s.c, capnhiho and MrWookiee like this.
  14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I would venture the Lindsey Buckingham counts himself as fortunate to not have to deal with that drama queen any more. What’s it been, 44 years, and she’s still not over it. Get a life! Everything I have heard about Stevie Nicks leads me to conclude that she is no one I would care to so much as meet and I would pity anyone that tried to have a close relationship with her.

Sabato likes this.
  15. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I always preferred McVey's vocals over Nicks'. The latter comes to mind every time I hear Spongebob Squarepants laugh.

16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    That's indeed the one, thanks!

17. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    Well apparently they were a package deal at the time. They were boyfriend/girlfriend when they joined the band. Stevie would use Lindsay, or he used her to write. He did say during the show that there were times he did not want to help her with her stuff, but he reluctantly would. And they ended up with Go Your Own Way. Makes me look differently at the song now. I went from epic admiration for the effort to giggling about the drama.

18. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    Rock and roll isn't always pretty. Think about Stevie Nix harmonizing with Tom Petty in Stop Dragging My Heart Around. I don't know who was the more talented there. But what an epic outcome.

MrWookiee likes this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Is that the one hosted by Bonamassa? It was on PBS if memory serves.

20. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    You just ruined Spongebob for me. :)

Like many romances, their package deal was short lived.

MrWookiee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.