Do you watch PBS?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Randy99CL, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Except for a few other shows my TV is always on PBS.

There is a new "American Masters" documentary on Buddy Guy this week. Fascinating to hear of the Blues world from his perspective. He's known and played with all the American greats and the modern Brit blues guitar heroes. American Masters | Buddy Guy: The Blues Chase The Blues Away | Season 35 | PBS
    Buddy Guy (w/Samantha Fish) is scheduled to play in Santa Fe in September.

And if that is not enough, they show a documentary on Chuck Berry just before Buddy Guy. In Their Own Words | Chuck Berry | Season 2 | Episode 2 | PBS An hour of real insight into the man who created a whole genre of music.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Ando, Waxhead, MrWookiee and 2 others like this.
  2. Landshark2020

Landshark2020 Gretschie

Sep 4, 2020
    The Buddy Guy doc was very well done, I really enjoyed it.

Randy99CL likes this.
  3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, good stuff.

Randy99CL likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Yes, I do. I even worked at a PBS TV station while in school. Long story there.

I watch PBS a lot. I saw both the Chuck Berry and Buddy Guy programs. I'm lucky to live where I can get WTTW/Chicago. Ken Burns documentaries alone are worth watching. Austin City Limits and Bluegrass Underground are excellent as well.

mrfixitmi, G5422T and Randy99CL like this.
  5. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Randy99CL likes this.
  6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I grew up watching the News hour and I'm a News junkie so I watch (really listen to podcasts).

I had few channels growing up but watched a lot of nature documentaries and cooking shows on PBS.

These days I am too impatient for video nonfiction, if I want to learn something I generally prefer reading as I can control my the pace of learning and I find documentaries (infotainment) tend to focus more on the visual spectacle than the hard information.

Randy99CL likes this.
  7. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
  8. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I wanted to let people know about the excellent new documentaries but yeah, PBS is amazing. I hate the normal US crap like the endless talent shows and brainless fake reality crap and even the local news.

I love the documentaries, the music (except Lawrence Welk LOL!), the many intelligent British series (loved Downton Abbey) are always very well written and acted.
    I much prefer the World News over the local car-crash and daily murder stuff.

But I only have an antenna, too. Haven't paid anything for TV since the '80s.

9. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yes, PBS.

Randy99CL likes this.
  10. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Yes, we watch more PBS programming than regular networks. I can’t stomach most of the garbage the other networks are feeding us!

Randy99CL likes this.
  11. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I enjoy the Antiques Roadshow, but that's about it.

Randy99CL and thunder58 like this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    PBS is good stuff

Randy99CL likes this.
  13. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    PBS is great, there are many good shows.

Randy99CL likes this.
  14. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've liked their documentaries a lot for the most part & even the more infotainment rich end of their crop winds up much more information filled put up against Discovery/History Channel/Netflix/etc. offerings to me.

Used to be a regular weekly tune in to the entirety of the local affiliate's "science night" line up, but since I finally gave in to streaming, not as much any more. Only thing I've seen that has rivaled their science docs in generating activity in the grey matter on a regular basis for the most part for me was the Cosmos reboot.

Further back it was a nightly routine to catch the News Hour, BBC World News, & the German network news that I somehow am spacing the name of but in the last 8-10 years I just can't stand any news shows any more to be honest.

Randy99CL likes this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The only downside to PBS are the British soap operas and the never ending begathon.

MrWookiee, englishman and Sabato like this.
  16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Only when there's a music program - the rest bores me.
    I get sick of watching them beg for money especially considering how they get millions of our tax dollars every year and the hosts get paid very well.

17. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    yup, Scorcese's blues dox are pretty cool.

NJDevil likes this.
  18. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Same here, especially the "reality" shows. Hard to believe they've lasted so long.

19. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Exactly, I'd watch more if it wasn't for all the Brit stuff. No Offense, love the UK, lived there for two years (USAF) but it does not all translate well. (Two countries separated by a common language). Also, no commercials? It's a never-ending barrage of commercials from "sponsors". Each half-hour show is about 12 minutes long - OK, I exaggerate... AND - Every time something really good is on, it's a beg-a-thon.

20. Fat Bastid

Fat Bastid Gretschie

Jan 16, 2021
    England
    We have a version of PBS now in the UK..
    https://www.pbsamerica.co.uk
    Programs are repeated a lot, but there are usually a couple of new/good things every week.
    Hopefully we'll get the Buddy Guy docu soon..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.