Do you tune your guitar on every session?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by old_internal, Apr 30, 2021.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I tune by ear, being careful that my earlobe doesn't get stuck between the high strings.........

2. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I check the tuning during warm up. I don't have to tune every time, but would I have to, I would do, of course.

3. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    I don't mind that, it's when it gets stuck in the bigsby spring it really hurts.....

capnhiho and audept like this.
  4. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    Tuning - got to do it, it makes to song work.

5. salvatore

salvatore Gretschie

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    Every time I pick up a guitar, I tune with a Snark Tight Tuner. It’s easy and convenient.
    After decades of playing, the moment a string goes flat I can hear it...egads! I know what string it is and fix it.

When I play the first twenty minutes or so I find I have to make several tuning adjustments on most all my guitars. Weather and room temperature are the culprits.

When I played live in my band I used a silent foot tuner and constantly made adjustments throughout the set(s).

A great guitar in tune is like having an orchestra at your fingertips.

6. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
  7. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Yes, we tune all the time, at least every third or fourth song.

We have a snark tuner with every guitar. When performing live, we keep the tuner on the head stock or use a tuning pedal as a sign of respect to the listeners. Tuning on stage can be an irritant to the audience, but not as bad as playing out of tune, or digging through a guitar case to find a working tuner.

We do tend to use alternate tuning for different songs, so we try to keep the songs together with common tuning. When learning something new, correct tuning is essential.

hcsterg and MrWookiee like this.
  8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I'm with Tony on this one. Exactly what I was going to say.

TSims1 and Tony65x55 like this.
  9. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    That's it for me - a quick check every 3-4 songs.

A+!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  10. rocko

rocko Electromatic

before and tweaking during; I find an out of tune guitar painful and annoying.

wabash slim likes this.
  11. Hoot

Hoot Electromatic

Jun 25, 2019
    Southern IL, USA
    I always tune, but I have a screened in porch, and sometimes I just grab my acoustic and go for it. Now...if I'm playing with other musicians, of course, I always tune..

12. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    Normal for any guitar to go a little out while just sitting there waiting for you to p l at. I always check tuning

13. Cass

Cass Electromatic

May 24, 2020
    Melbourne
    At home by myself, I tune if it sounds like the strings are not working together. Mostly my guitars hold tune fairly well. Playing with the radio or to music, playing with or to others, I tune before, and every couple of numbers (ie, when I think of it). It feels good to know that foundation is strong.

14. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    Trick question? I cringe @ the sound of an out of tune guitar. For me its always my B string. So I tend to tweek often. My playing buddy thinks Im neurotic and Im like...you can't hear that? Even slightly out sounds horrible to me.

Luthier47 likes this.
  15. Luthier47

Luthier47 Electromatic

Apr 22, 2021
    East coast USA
    After 50 years of playing and trying to stay in tune, my much older ears rely on a clip-on poly tuner which has taken the guitars to a sweeter sound ..since that tuner if it sounds funky, it’s me

16. THE BALD REVEREND

THE BALD REVEREND Electromatic

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    IMHO it's normal that pitch is not 100% perfect after playing ( especially if you do strong bendings ) , but i have to say that on my '79 Strat a reasonable tuning is kept even after months , if i store the case closed in the same place .
    Sounds like a miracle , i know , but it's true , believe it or not , got no reason to lie !
    :)

17. birddog

birddog Electromatic

Apr 12, 2016
    NC
    I own a pile of Les Pauls... G is always out and needs tuned on all of them. My Gretsches are typically not as finicky, neither are my Fenders.

18. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    I tune my guitar every time I pick it up. If your guitar isn't in tune, you can't play in tune. When I played bass I checked my tuning every time I picked it up even though it was rarely out.

I guess my question would be, why would anyone NOT tune their guitar before they play it.

19. Sparkle Jet

Sparkle Jet Electromatic

Jul 10, 2014
    Wake Forest
    I have no interest nor patience for playing a guitar that’s not in tune.

Tech21 likes this.
  20. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Every time I grab a guitar, I check the tuning, by ear (using harmonics over 5th and 7th frets). And re-check every time something sounds odd while playing.

As I don't have any perfect pitch ability, I periodically adjust the pitch of the whole using a tuner app on my mobile. (And for my SG, I always use the tuner first as its intonation is pretty picky). And I always re-fine tune as I never get perfect result from using the tuner.

Which leads to my question: are you fully satisfied when strictly following the tuner's indications or do you have to finalize by ear?

Tech21 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.