Do you tune your guitar on every session?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by old_internal, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I usually have to tune mine every time I practice, which is supposed to be every day (my own schedule). My Tele seems to stay in tune better than my Gretches. My practice space stays a pretty consistent 68 degrees f. and I leave my guitars out of case.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    old_internal and Archtops like this.
  2. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    I don't play well enough to also be out of tune. I tune up before I start playing - every time.

old_internal, MrWookiee and Archtops like this.
  3. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    I always tune. By ear if I have to.

wabash slim and old_internal like this.
  4. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I don’t reach for one of my guitars to play without having a tuner available. Lengthy practice sessions I recheck tuning more than once.

5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    No way. That's my roadies job. :p

6. Chet Harrison

Chet Harrison Electromatic

Apr 27, 2020
    USA
    First unanimous thread in guitar message board history?

7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Every time I pick it up...

B7B45522-6EC8-460B-A351-1CE5597E7684.jpeg

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  8. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I’m not OCD unless it’s about tuning. I check as often as possible!

9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I told my bass player he needed to tune his bass. He said, "Is it that time of the year already?"

If I'm doing a gig, every chance I get. If I'm doing a session between every take. Use a good tuner and use it a lot.

10. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    I tune mine at the start, and then check again in 15 minutes or so. I think my body warms them up and they change a bit. After that it's usually good. But I do play in different tunings so I'm always changing everything anyway.

old_internal likes this.
  11. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    It is a level of musicianship we all cross at some time. We become aware of in tune and out of tune. If my guitar is out of tune, I correct it. If not, I am not playing up to my potential. Practice won't make you perfect. But perfect practice will make you better. Set it in your mind that you are too good of a musician to play an out of tune guitar. Soon you will not be able to play an out of tune guitar, if that is how you practice.

Archtops and old_internal like this.
  12. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    A bad habit I have to get rid of: when I play at home, I don't tune to a tuner or tuning fork. This causes problems when inspiration kicks in and I take a quick and dirty video of a melody or chord progression, because when I try to work things out (chords to a melody or vice versa) and the recording isn't tuned to 440Hz, it can be annoying to get the tuning to match the recording. So yes, better tune up right every time you pick up the guitar.

MrWookiee and old_internal like this.
  13. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    If it's my Tele, then I usually don't need to bother, though I can't help checking out of habit. I have a tuner at the front of my pedal board, so it mutes the guitar while I tune anyway. It's a polytune, so I can just strum the open strings and see straight away if there are any that need a tweak...they usually don't though once I've stretched new strings since all my nuts are cut properly (and no nut sauce needed either ;) ).

14. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    True story....played a job with a last minute replacement Bass player and he asked to borrow my tuner. He handed it back after a few minutes and told me it was junk because it showed his Bass was out of tune...and it never goes out of tune. He was serious, played the whole first set out of tune. He was so far out of tune the Drummer was going to choke him. When he went to the bathroom after the first set I grabbed his Bass and tuned it. He never knew.

Another one, I was in the audience at a local gig and was asked to sit in for a couple of songs but would have to use their guitar players Tele. He seemed okay with that so I said sure. I asked the Singer what he wanted me to play and he leaned over and quietly said “I don’t care, I wanted you up here because I knew you would tune that f*&$#ing guitar”.

Always tune.

15. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Depends on which guitar I’m playing. I’m always shocked by my Duesenberg Starplayer. Its the only guitar I own that can sit for a month, go from my basement, out to the car, across town, into a different environment with alternating heating/cooling and still be in tune from the previous month.... weird. It’s the only guitar I own that if I check it once and it’s in tune that I have the confidence to play it without checking it throughout the service.

old_internal likes this.
  16. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    The best thing you can do for your musical ear is to tune up every time you play. And guitars do go out of tune based on temperature and humidity like Emma said earlier

17. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Pretty normal. Especially if you have a bigsby. The spring is constantly tucking o the strings. However I don’t what what kind of magic they made my 2014 white falcon with but it’s rarely out of tune. My new falcon-a little bit off everyday.

18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I had Steinberger guitars with carbon-necks that held the tuning for a incredibly long time.
    Wooden guitars are bit more "volatile" when it comes to tuning.
    Since I play my guitars with a crunchy tone even the slightest detuning is causing unpleasant interferences when playing chords. So I am constantly checking my tuning.

19. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

I'll hear my friend's guitar is out of tune as we're jamming and suggest he tune it. After tuning it, he usually shrugs and tells me that only the g and b were out a little bit, like maybe I was wrong about it being out of tune. I just shrug and smile, at least we're in tune now.

I tune frequently.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  20. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Always play perfectly in tune. Otherwise, out of tune will start to sound normal. This explains why so many bands were out of tune before there were affordable tuners, mostly live but with exceptions like Badfinger's Baby Blue. If that guitar is in tune, message me! Off topic, even the tempo stumbles in Baby Blue, during the "what can I do part." Produced by Todd Rungren.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.