Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Do you consider this a Gretsch or a telecaster?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Fjrabon, Apr 19, 2017.

Gretsch or Telecaster

1. Gretsch

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  2. Telecaster

25 vote(s)
    64.1%
  1. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    There is one factor that will reveal this guitar's true identity:

Does it stay in tune? NO, then it is a real Gretsch
    :p

audept likes this.
  2. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    Haha. Yeah, as much as I love my Gretsch the whole "do these 8 modifications if you actually want to use the bigsby and stay in tune" thing is... well, it is what it is.

I think I've finally got mine holding pretty well. It took: Ernie Ball M Steel strings, tru arc bridge, tension bar riser, locking tuners, new nut.

Played it last night, got a little overzealous on a bigsby bomb and was SHOCKED when I kicked on the tuner after the song and all was good.

larryb likes this.
  3. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I love Gretsch guitars, and all their quirks. They are like old hot rods. They guzzle gas, leak some oil and dont always start.....but when you step on the accelerator, you then realize why you own such a magnificent beast!! I NEED A GRETSCH AGAIN!!!
    :(

Jonbass likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Wow my friend, we certainly disagree on the Fideli'trons. I love them and think they sound fabulous, at least in my Cabronita. They are beautifully clear and spangle and jangle the day away. I much prefer them to TVJ Power'trons and to the Blacktop Filters.

On the original note, this guitar is a Tele, a Cabronita to be specific. It is a Tele tribute to a Gretsch. Sounds all good to me.

Ricochet likes this.
  6. TrampledUnderFoot

TrampledUnderFoot Electromatic

Apr 20, 2017
    PDX
    Call it whatever you want. Just give me one.

Fjrabon likes this.
  7. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta

I 100% understand people calling it a Tele, but I really don't understand "it's a cabronita." It doesn't even have the same pickups as a cabronita which is the only sort of similarity a cabronita has with a gretsch.

Compared to a cabronita: different pickups, different body design (full hollow vs solidbody), different scale, different neck design (set vs bolt), different headstock (flat fender style vs angled), different fretboard (ebony with humps vs maple with dots), different bridge (gretsch floating with a tru arc vs strat style), gold sparkle binding vs no binding, bigsby vs no bigsby.

Literally I can't think of a single thing it has in common with a cabronita except they're both in the shape of a Tele. And they have different pickups that are used in different Gretsches.

8. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    It's a funny shaped Gretsch. Other than the body outline, there's nothing Tele about it.

9. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Fender makes thinline hollow cabronitas. Cabronitas were originally made by the public nodding their teles; fender caught on and started making their own.

Waxhead likes this.
  10. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    It's not a thinline though. It's completely hollow, not even a centerblock.

11. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Not entirely the same aesthetic, but this thread has me thinking about one of those turn-your-Fiero-into-a-Lamborghini kits...

Is it a Pontiac or a Lambo?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    larryb and Fjrabon like this.
  12. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Fender thinlines don't have centerblocks. Usually chambered I think; I known some people don't consider chambered hollow but they are in fact hollow.

Waxhead likes this.
  13. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    IMG_8264.jpg
    I own a thinline. It's solid down the center and hollow on both wings. That's all I meant by center block, a solid block of wood down the center, sorry if there's another name for it. To me chambered is like a les paul where it has little grooves cut out.

The point being a thinline style cabronita is *very* different from the completely hollow body in the white chicken. Thinline styles play like solid bodies, but just with less weight. Blindfolded nobody could tell the difference amplified between my thinline and an otherwise similarly appointed solidbody Tele. Maybe open cowboy chords. Hollows have an entirely different tone with the top wood actually resonating.

Henry likes this.
  14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok now you're giving more spec info it does have some similarities to some Gretsch guitars..........now plz answer these Qs :)

1) exactly which model Gretsch is it most like?
    2) does it in fact sound like that model gretsch.

Note that the only Gretsch models that have Powertrons are Jets and Billy Bo that I'm aware of.
    The shorter scale will ensure it does not feel like any Gretsch either :)

15. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Well then I stand corrected. My bandmate plays a fender thinline cabronita, and it seemed really light I thought it was fully hollow, but I haven't played it in almost year.

Fjrabon likes this.
  16. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    Yeah they are crazy light. Mine is under 6 pounds! I guess it's because they're small guitars (compared to say an es335 or gretsch) and made of relatively light wood in some cases.

17. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I realize we have fun debating semantics every day on this forum but I have to say the premise here is silly. Comparing an entire marque of instruments to one particular model of another marque for one. So, it should be "Gretsch or Fender" or "Telecaster or ??".
    Since it has Fender written right on it, that one is easily settled.
    Since no other Gretsch model is mentioned, it has to be a Telecaster variant.

Looking at it, the appointments are taken from the White Falcon.
    This gives one of the best guitars on earth (the Telecaster) the worst appointments in the Gretsch line. I realize that opinion is in the minority around here. A White Falcon would be the last guitar I bought if I were trying to acquire the entire line.

18. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Indeed, it has the identical pickups as my Cabronita, a fideli'tron both in the neck and bridge. As well as in my MiM Cabronita, the Thinline Cabronita and the Squier Cabronita use these pickups.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-fsr-cabronita-telecaster-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-cabronita-telecaster-thinline-maple-fingerboard

http://www.sonicstate.com/amped/2013/09/16/fender-mexican-cabronita-telecaster-review/

http://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/1012/review-squier-vintage-modified-cabronita-telecaster/50143

It seems the only difference between this version and a regular Cab is a couple more dials and a different switch location. And yes, one of the Squier Cabronita variants had a Bigsby.

19. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    they're powertrons. It's also fully hollow with a non-pinned bridge, not a thinline.

20. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    Sure, it should have been "telecaster or white falcon." Essentially it's telecaster shape with white falcon details. But it had several aspects that were neither. Neither the falcon nor the telecaster use 25" scale like this, but that was a practical issue because of space. And neither the telecaster nor the falcon use powertrons but he said he chose those because they made the smaller body sound most like a white falcon.

The name was just I guess a choice that could have went either way. The guy who made it works for both fender and gretsch custom shops. See the red guitar later in the thread that is just a straight up Gretsch with fender written on it. The guys in the custom shops at fender/gretsch seem to like to make unsettling hybrids now that they don't have to worry about lawsuits.

Anyway, the results of the poll have been about what I expected and remarkably consistent. It's been 2-1 in favor of Tele pretty much since the first 3 responses. I also thought this would just be an interesting way to see what different people consider makes a guitar what it is. Is a gretsch a gretsch because its details fit a platonic ideal or because it's a guitar that a company called gretsch decided to make.

The part I wasn't expecting was "it's a cabronita" though some of that is probably my own fault for not explaining early on that it uses powertrons, which no cabronita uses, and that it's fully hollow, which no cabronita is either.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  21. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    A Cabronita is a hotrodded guitar. Hotrodded in the classical sense means stripped down.
    This faux chicken is not stripped down, but is conspicuously over-accessorized.