Do You Buy Toys When The Finances Say No?

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
No, I didn't start buying gear really til 2014 when family finances were comfortable, but it also coincided with me playing a lot more music.

GlenP

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2019
WA
Really trying hard not to. The recent years have seen a big reduction in spending on travel and vacations, so a lot of that mad money got diverted to musical gear, probably more than I will really need or get the chance to fully utilize, but were mostly only results of good bargain hunting. Time to start practicing and playing again, and stop shopping. Also, I have a high school senior, and college coming up, so gear acquisition will be on hiatus for me for a while. I am more of a buy-and-hold gear shopper, I don't really flip stuff, so I don't have too much gear yet, but am close to where I would need to sell stuff just to make room in the house for more stuff.

Incidentally, I have an MXR Duke of Tone arriving in the mail today (that one is not too big). I might put that in the FX loop of my (new since July) Mystery Brain, though that sounds amazing by itself with my amp already. I get to play next weekend for a small neighborhood party with my trio, last time was in 2019. I will be using a new Gretsch guitar, new Vox amp, new FX pedals (Mystery Brain and probably El Pescadoro for sure, maybe another heavy distortion pedal haven't decided which one yet) but yeah, it will be nice to try out some of the new toys for an actual public performance.

Last edited:

blueruins

Friend of Fred
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
What a difference a year makes.

Last year I was 8 days away from losing my job when they changed the policy that was forcing me out😅

This year I got such a huge unexpected bonus that I went a little 🌰 nutty.

My gut tells me that this may be the last blaze of glory before things get tight again. We’ve been doing some extra things that might seem out of reach next year.

They’re fairly inexpensive splurges and if I saved that money it wouldn’t really amount to much. Plus, I have no difficulty selling guitars during down times. Not that attached to most of them.

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
No, We pay off our credit cards every month automatically. I have carried balances in the past and it's way easy to get behind, especially now with higher interest rates. The only debt is the house and 1 car (interest free for the vehicle.)

Desirsar

Gretschie
Jun 9, 2021
Lincoln, NE
If a pedal shows up in a local shop that is "never" sold used, and it's one I'm planning to get eventually, I'll make the budget fit. Otherwise no, everything sticks to the plan.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Not lately. But I certainly have. I think my "herd" was probably at it's most swollen with an excessive amount of money in it in my first few years out of school, drowning in debt and with a kid on the way. Having been a vintage enthusiast from the beginning, I could always convince myself that every one of my purchases was a once in a lifetime opportunity that I couldn't pass up. With the obnoxious expense of daycare added into the mix, I dialed that back and somewhere along the way the GAS dissipated. Now that finances are more comfortable, I don't really crave for gear. Except for one thing. A Standel 25L15 which I thought I would be able to order new only to find them out of production and they only come up for sale used every few years if you're lucky. And that is causing me the worst, most frantic GAS of my life, even though two months ago I was in no hurry to get one.

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
Nope. I'm exactly the opposite actually. Even when I have an excess of discretionary money, I think long and hard about all purchases....and then typically buy something pretty far below my means anyway.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2012
France

Do You Buy Toys When The Finances Say No?​

No, I do not buy toys when the finances says no. 😌

But as my toys are cheap, it's usually not a real subject of worry.
I mean : do not expect me to buy a costy Vintage Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, etc... Moreover LH !
First of all, I do not have the money to devote to it, and second, I'm finally not very interested in...

But it's me, OK ? 😁

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
The key for me for staying current on bills is to make everything possible automatic - direct deposit, 401K deduction from the paycheck, bills on autopay, full balance paid every month . I used to use my debit card but decided as long as I paid off everything promptly, getting the small rewards from using a credit card was a nice bonus. I actually use very little cash, especially post-2020.

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
I read the thread title again and a stray thought crossed my mind. My wife and I buy toys pretty regularly. Not for us though. We buy them for Tiberias, our two year old Weaten. Here she is with her favorite doll, her sloth toy. She thinks every time a box is dropped on the porch it contains something for her. C131B02F-5E58-4DDA-A13C-829EB03A6AB8.jpeg

Last edited:

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
I have been guilty of that.
That’s what credit is for, right? A manageable monthly payment seems to sting me less than spending a large chunk of cash all at once!
All my best gear was purchased that way, and now I have gone from no credit to good credit!

So very true for credit. I work in the financial sector. I occasionally get older members that have paid cash their while life, no debt, and plenty in the account… yet the credit score is low from no credit history. Not a big deal until they’re going for an auto loan or house and are asking ways to build credit.

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
The key for me for staying current on bills is to make everything possible automatic - direct deposit, 401K deduction from the paycheck, bills on autopay, full balance paid every month . I used to use my debit card but decided as long as I paid off everything promptly, getting the small rewards from using a credit card was a nice bonus. I actually use very little cash, especially post-2020.
Debit Cards are the worst. I’ve seen peoples accounts wiped clean. It’s much easier to report fraud on a credit card and get credited back faster than a checking account. A buddy of mine has his checking account emptied. It took him two weeks to get the money back. He had to borrow money to pay rent.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
To me impulse buying is a bad thing. It can put you on the wrong end of a deal.
Impulse buying even at the grocery store is dangerous...I have to watch my weight and BP and sugar and cholesterol, etc. LOL

At my age I have more patience than ever before. Even though I only buy when on sale, I really don't have any problem passing on a piece. I've learned that sometimes a guitar will come around again but I'm not buying vintage collector pieces either.

One time GC had a Player HSS Strat on sale for $600. I loved it and wanted one badly. SE so not available anywhere else. Timing was not right so I passed and regretted it but kept an eye on that model for over a year at reg price.
One day bang, on sale for $600 again and I grabbed one. Love it and wish it always worked out that way.
19 Fender HSS Player Strat.jpg

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
So very true for credit. I work in the financial sector. I occasionally get older members that have paid cash their while life, no debt, and plenty in the account… yet the credit score is low from no credit history. Not a big deal until they’re going for an auto loan or house and are asking ways to build credit.
Yeah, I was strictly a cash operation until I was 37, with the exception of a small bank loan with a co-signer a few years earlier that I paid off with no hassle.
My gas-on-credit started with a Fender amp and then a White Falcon. Then it was another guitar and my Tape Echo.
Soon it was another bank loan and a house!! Haha
I never went far above my means, and I’ve yet to be late on any payment.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
Debit Cards are the worst. I’ve seen peoples accounts wiped clean. It’s much easier to report fraud on a credit card and get credited back faster than a checking account. A buddy of mine has his checking account emptied. It took him two weeks to get the money back. He had to borrow money to pay rent.
I check the online bank statement twice/week and noticed unusual activity directly from our bank account over an 8 day period......approximately $5500 in total and four of them were ACH payments to the same bank. I called and our bank had everything reconciled in 5 days and was very good keeping my wife and I informed. I NEVER use my debit card and now my wife is going to follow will be practicing the same. Scary!

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
Familiy comes always first.
I made a lot of sacrifices to make that sure.

I usually sell something when buying something new. So there is no big extra- investment needed and therefor nothing to be ashamed of.

Latest posts