Do I really need a Chorus pedal ?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by thunder58, Dec 28, 2018.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    So here's what going on . ...... I love chorus , always have , always will . My dilemma is that I could never really find a chorus that really " grabs " me , and I've owned a few chorus pedals too . And with that said , I own a Roland JC ( Jazz " Chorus " ) 40 amp . You would think that with the Roland " JC " , I would have the perfect chorus . And it is a killer chorus . So owning that " killer " chorus , do I really need a chorus pedal ?
    And if so , what ya suggest ?

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Personally, i’m always happy to downsize my pedal board, and use what the amp has to offer. I always feel better about using amp reverb, tremolo, eq, etc instead of a pedal. Unless what the amp has to offer isn’t good enough for me.
    Is the problem that you have to leave the effect on all of the time on the amp? Or is there a footswitch to turn it off?

3. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Actually I've been looking into the amp foot switches . I just play at home and I enjoy making different sounds . My amp ( Roland JC-40 ) has inputs for 3 foot switches in the rear for chorus , reverb , and distortion to turn on or off as desired . Hey , if theres 3 inputs , does that make them " feet switches " ?:D

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    No one really "needs" any pedals. If you love chorus, then get one. Variety makes the world go round.
    Maybe. Of course, we don't have teeth brushes, and three tined forks aren't threeks.

5. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @calebaaron666 , actually what I'm wondering is , do I really need a chorus pedal I have one built into the amp . Amp chorus can switch to fixed or manual ( with controls for speed / depth ) . All in all , don't all chorus pedals do just about the same thing

6. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    If you’re going to experiment I use the Boss CH-1 which gives a great chorus sound. I understand they’re cheap. The boss CH5 is also excellent. It’s possible you do t need one. So experiment cheaply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thunder58 likes this.
  7. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @wabash slim , note the last sentence in my previous post

8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    D'oh! For me, if it's not built in to the amp, I don't need it. I do like having reverb and trem, tho.

thunder58 likes this.
  9. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Good point . My flanger / phaser / Jangle Box / tuner are not built into the amp ...... but the chorus is . Reminds me .... need to focus on a delay pedal ( not in the amp either )

10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Im a pedal junkie, try the EH Small Clone!
    Trust meo_O

macatt and thunder58 like this.
  11. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I'm not very a Chorus guy, because it's not needed in my band. If I still played New-Wave, for sure I would use Chorus and Flanger. I still have several of them (many vintage), but the one that I found the simplest and the best "all purpose, good sounding each time" is my MXR Micro-Chorus with its single knob...

[​IMG]
    A+!

pmac11 and thunder58 like this.
  12. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    If that's your amp, NO you dont need a pedal. I want your amp though...

thunder58 likes this.
  13. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I love my Roland JC-40 . Just like the JC-120 but in a smaller package . Clean as a whistle . When going non-tube amps , Roland is the way to go .

14. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I think maybe that's the answer I was looking for

larryb and calebaaron666 like this.
  15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Well you know the answer is no. I am not a chorus guy. However, I wanted my Strymon Flint to have more presets so I got a mobius (which is pretty much the same size as a flint plus facorite switch), so now I have a chorus which I rarely use, but I think there are like 3 or 4 different chorus styles.

thunder58 likes this.
  16. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Keeley DynoMy Roto is my all-time favorite chorus pedal. I love it so much I have 2 of them just in case.....
    DynoMyRoto #2 006.JPG

LivingMyDream and thunder58 like this.
  17. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Chorus pedals can differ in tone and range. I like chorus, too, and right now I have 3: MRX Analog Chorus, Boss CE-5, and Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus. Each one sounds slightly different, although the Boss CE-5 and the MXR Analog Chorus have tone controls.

I even use a little chorus when I play acoustic-electrically. My Fender SFX has onboard chorus, and when I go straight into the church PA system, I use the chorus on my Fishman ToneDeq.

thunder58 likes this.
  18. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I've got a 1985 Ibanez Bi-Mode BCL which is a pretty unique chorus pedal. There are lots of sounds/tones in this box because of the dual controls (Bi-Mode). The usual chorus tones are in here, but it also has a plethora of unique and unusual sounds.

It can achieve very convincing Leslie and Uni-Vibe tones. And it absolutely NAILS the bridge guitar solo on "Badge". (See second photo for the "Badge" tone settings.)

It also lets you play two different chorus tones or effects at the same time - with the dual controls.

I recommend the Ibanez Bi-Mode BCL if you can find one out there..

https://reverb.com/p/ibanez-bcl-bi-mode-chorus-1984?ended_listing=241830

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BorderRadio and thunder58 like this.
  19. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

I have a cheap Mooer Reecho. It's "Tape echo" simulator that I use for slapback has a very light chorus-like effect on top of the actual delay to simulate the tape slightly messing up the sound. That's enough for me to enhance the sound and make my playing more flattering.
    (I also have a very basic chorus in the Mooer multi-effect Mod Factory that I don't use since the Reecho's "Tape echo" provides. I use the Tremolo instead :) ).

thunder58 likes this.
  20. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Well, for me I'll always have my...
    T.C.Electronics Chorus, Pitch Modulator & Flanger.
    You can add just the right amount to your settings of choice.
    Example, it was used for our violin player on the Christmas services.
    Can add a slight subtle to really noticeable effect. Quality sound/build.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.