Disappointing Keith Scott interview

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by drmilktruck, Feb 13, 2014.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Keith Scott is interviewed in this month's Vintage Guitar. I had assumed he was a regular Gretsch player, but his main guitar with Bryan Adams is a Strat. A 6120 appeared only in the video for one song, it wasn't even played on the recording. He paints Fred Gretsch as desperate to get some attention for Gretsch, showing up backstage with a handful of guitars for Scott to choose from. He chose a 12 string and a 6120. Work commenced on the signature model. Scott rarely used it, "only odd ball things," never recording with it, until the last few years when he's done some work for others. He immediately replaced the Dynas with Filters. He still owns a few Gretsch guitars and amps. Not a dyed in the wool Gretsch player.

2. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
  3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I'm not selling mine, it's still a fantastic guitar.

4. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    That's what everyone who has one says.

5. SmokinSigs357

SmokinSigs357 Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2013
    Munster, Indiana
    Well, the guitar is definitely cooler than the guy...what a beautiful guitar those are!!!!

6. Rockabillybob

Rockabillybob Country Gent

I agree, beautiful guitar. I'd probably replace the pick guard and the truss rod cover. Never change the Dynas. :D

7. National19

National19 Country Gent

Jan 4, 2014
    Ottawa Canada
    I was thinking the same thing

8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Keith Scott.
    I never knew his name.
    Is he the guy that played all those tasty guitar parts on the early Brian Adams recordings?
    If he is then he made some good decisions in choosing guitars to record with - he got some really nice tones on those recordings.
    I love my Gretsch guitars but most of my best recordings were done with other brand guitars.
    I think if you took a survey you would find that more great guitar recordings were done with Fender & Gibson guitars than any other make.
    No knock on Gretsch - for what they do they are a great guitar.
    Unfortunately during Rock & Roll's most popular era (mid 60s thru mid 80s) most guitar players used something other than Gretsch to do most of their work on stage and off - the Baldwin era was not kind to the Gretsch brand.
    Even though they made a few good guitars during that period most players preferred to use Gibson, Fenders and various ripoffs.
    Please don't beat me up guys - I love my Gretsch guitars.

9. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    I wouldn't beat the guy up because he's just a casual Gretsch player. He might actually be a bit put off by Fred for some reason, and he obviously discovered that Gretsch guitars aren't completely suitable for the work he does with Adams or anyone else, that they're more of a specialty instrument for certain things. There's not a thing wrong with that. Whoever said you have to be blindly loyal to a certain brand of guitar? Even guys like Billy Duffy play a Les Paul now and then.

I'll bet Keith grabbed the chance to have a signature model endorsement when it was waved in his face. That's a pretty hard reward to ignore. How many of us would like to have a signature guitar? All of us, I'm sure. It's a huge ego trip for a guitarist. Then, he started playing the guitars and realized they didn't do everything he needed them to do.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  10. Rockabillybob

Rockabillybob Country Gent

11. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Sounds like he was being forthright and candid. The right guitar, for the right time. A consummate professional.

12. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    Just for the record, I had a cymbal endorsement offered to me several years ago by some clown in Hackettstown, NJ. He claimed to be their US sales rep, and sought me out after I asked them a question on their website. We had a few phone conversations, and he turned out to be an egotistical, lying jerk, bragging how he had bought and sold over 1,000 guitars, and had screwed over 600 women. I had no idea how a discussion about a cymbal deal involved him gloating over sexual conquests. And he went on and on about his son, a so-called musical genius who had done this and that at a young age. It got really old really fast. Then, he gave me the "artist pricing" of nearly $1000 for a set of cymbals.

He brought a bunch of cymbals to one of my gigs, I hated every one, I hated him, and I told him to hit the road. It was ultimately one of those, "Buy a bunch of cymbals and we'll give you an endorsement." I didn't fall for it.

Maybe Keith wasn't treated the way he wanted to be either.

13. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Agree with you completely

14. T simmons

T simmons Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2013
    California
    Yeah who listens to him,LOL. No one.

15. Shun the non Believer! Now into the Candy Mountain cave!

16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Well I listen to him and like a lot of his music and when my band plays a song by him most people like the song.
    He also still draws big crowds at his concerts.
    So I guess someone's wrong here...:D

17. Raconteur

Raconteur Gretschie

Nov 12, 2010
    Utah, USA
  18. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.