Difference in weights between same model guitar

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by skim970, Sep 23, 2021.

1. skim970

skim970 Newbie

Sep 22, 2021
    SW MO
    I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered a hundred times...I tried to search this particular forum for answers prior to posting but didn't turn up much....

would there be much sound quality difference between a 7 lb 10 oz vs 8 lb 5 oz G5220? I'm guessing not enough difference for the untrained ear to notice.... Are the listed weights more for physical/stamina considerations rather than tone?

Don't beat me up too bad, just trying to learn as much as possible to help in the decision making process....

2. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Welcome to the forum! We don't beat people up around here—we're a friendly bunch, so don't be shy with any questions.

In theory, I suppose the heavier guitar might have longer sustain. But I don't know whether the difference would be audible. You'd probably notice the extra half-pound on your shoulder over the course of a long gig, though.

Are you looking at Sweetwater? If so, can you ask your sales rep to plug them both in and tell you whether they hear a difference?

3. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I would get the lighter one unless the other was clearly better which i would highly doubt.

4. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    You're in the right place.

section2 likes this.
  5. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Welcome to GT. If it were me I would want to A/B them and see which one I prefer. Start with the lighter one and if it’s a keeper you’ll know. Good luck!

mbkri likes this.
  6. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    In my experience, a heavier guitar sometimes has more sustain, but a lighter guitar sometimes has more "resonance" and "personality." Play them both if you can.

My PERSONAL choice would always be "lighter," but I've heard countless people say theirs is the opposite.

section2, Archtops, GlenP and 2 others like this.
  7. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend

9. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Welcome!
    There will be a difference. But it will be tiny probably. In fact there is probably a difference between two guitars of the same weight, in as much as guitars are a complex arrangement of geometry, materials, electronics and their manufacture involves human activity. But your question is an excellent one. That tiny difference in sustain or resonance may be noticable if you A/B them but once you get your guitar home that tiny difference wont matter…… but half a pound of extra weight will if you play standing up for an hour.
    Actually im not sure that it would have mattered when i was twenty five, nor would it have mattered if i werent skinny.

10. skim970

skim970 Newbie

Sep 22, 2021
    SW MO
    I appreciate the warm welcomes and suggestions!

Rusty Chops likes this.
  11. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    It definitely happens. I have a Tele type partscaster and the body is dimensionally right, but it's as heavy as a Les Paul! Over 9lbs.
    I think "how it sounds" depends on a lot of things, not just weight. However, out of many guitars in the last 20 years, my #1 and #2 (solid bodies) that rose to the top as keepers are both pretty heavy.

12. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello and welcome to G-T, good to have you here.
    At my age I'll go for lighter, unless I can hear a definitely better sound from the heavier one.
    Good luck in your quest.

13. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Guitar weights being good or bad tend to change every few years. In the late 70s people thought heavier meant more sustain so companies built heavier guitars. These days people like light guitars, so you'll see that as being possitive.

I would play both. Chances are if they're modern high production guitars they'll be really similar and you'll choose the one with the better setup thinking it's superior.

If you play standing for long periods of time the lighter one may be more comfortable or maybe the heavier one wouldn't bother you at all.

Don't get too hung up on internet nonsense and play what you like :)

Wavey, capnhiho, MrWookiee and 2 others like this.
  14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Can't speak for others, but my preference for lighter is not because I think it makes a better guitar or improves things like sustain or resonance or whatever.

It's purely that a lighter guitar is better for your back and shoulders period, and more comfortable for me, which is far from internet nonsense to me.

15. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I measured the weight of two of my guitars of the same model : Harley-Benton MS60LH-VW...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Cyclone = 3.610kg
    The Tornado = 3.370kg

The Tornado has 2 BT FT and one ARTEC Lipstick PUs , which are indeed heavier than the 3 Squier Std Strat PUs... But the lightest of the 2 guitars is the Tornado.

All the rest being identical, I came to the conclusion that it is the wood that makes the difference in weight.

A+!

capnhiho and new6659 like this.
  16. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    Yeah this is probably the most true out of any of our claims. Lighter guitars are nice…because they’re lighter!

Henry likes this.
  17. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I bought a Gibson LP with their "ultra modern weight relief" and love the difference; my Epi LP feels heavy and must weigh over a pound+ more. I've read that (according to Gibson) the difference in LP weights makes no discernable difference in the sound or sustain.

Lee Anderton talked in one video of how he tried a dozen of the same model new Les Pauls back-to-back and bought the one that was right for him. They were all weighed but the weight wasn't a factor in his choice and it turned out the one he liked was in the middle of the weight range. He said he heard no difference in tone or sustain.

Some artists, Mick Taylor for one, say they always buy the lightest guitar they can find. Says they sound brighter?

18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Absolutely! I built a partscaster Strat earlier this year as a back up for my 1982 one. At various stages I had the new neck and new loaded pickguard on the 1982 body. Only after I'd finished spraying the body and assembled the new guitar did I find out just how heavy it is...more than my Les Paul! It is completely down to the body in this case, possibly a tiny bit due to the fatter neck than my 1982 Strat, but all the previous testing stages were no problem in terms of weight.

I really like how it plays and it took me three attempts to get the finish I wanted (stripped back to bare wood, otherwise that would have been even more added weight!). However, I'm considering buying another lighter body to spray and swap over.

Shame because it looks exactly how I planned:
    Garden 3 EDIT.jpg

4066g is 9lbs: 4066g Strat.jpg

ffooky, hcsterg and new6659 like this.
  19. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Dig those!

20. coolrene

coolrene Electromatic

Apr 17, 2021
    France
    I’d say if you can put your hands on a guitar w/o weight relief that is still light -although solid- you get the best of both worlds: resonance AND sustain.
    My LP is solid mahogany and weighs 8.26 lbs: a real rock machine !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.