Didn't work out for me, YMMV

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pmarinovich, Sep 22, 2020.

1. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    I posted a while back that I had ordered a special Broadway Jade Penguin from a store in Huntington, UK.
    The guitar arrived in great shape but appeared to have had a rough trip. The rockingbar bridge had popped off its studs and was laying loose in the case, but no harm was done. It was packaged as though it were to be shipped locally....after I had requested otherwise.

The guitar seems to be in beautiful condition, though you may know my eyesight is poor and I can't really detect faint pick swirls, etc.

And, OMG, it sounds wonderful...crystalline clean bell tones and sustain to die for. I didn't bother to run it through ODs and EFXs.

But it's not for me. There is a slight headstock dive that would drive me crazy. That phenomenon doesn't bother some people who simply keep their forearm rested on the lower bout when they're not playing. The seller assured me that it was perfectly balanced and did not neck-dive. It's the one thing I always ask when I'm paying good money.

If I were wealthy, I'd keep it as an investment, but I feel I shouldn't have more than one high-end guitar.

The seller did not respond to my messages and I decided the guitar was too nice to risk sending it back overseas anyway. Sooooo, it's on ebay. Hopefully I'll get enough to pay for the G6659 I just ordered.

So if you were lusting after the guitar in Bertoli's avatar, like I was :) :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284018204996

2. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Moving the strap button at the neck heel solves the neck drive issue, at least with my DC jet (small headstock)

pmarinovich likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Try a wider strap with a rough inside

nickurso and pmarinovich like this.
  4. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    What Thunder said....leather strap with a rough inside is the easy way to fix neck dive

pmarinovich likes this.
  5. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    I appreciate the suggestions, but it's a little late now. If it were a less expensive instrument I definitely would move the strap button. But I'm not gonna drill this guy. I'm kind of pissed at myself and at the clown who lied to me, so I'm moving on to something with good vibes all around.

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Back in the day, all straps came with a bit of cord, much like a shoe lace, so you could tie one end of the strap to the headstock just past the nut. No neck dive whatsoever. That used to be the standard strap location.

7. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Leather strap with the suede side against your shoulder stops neck dive

pmarinovich likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    If I had the cash I would buy a second one! Sadly I don’t. I do however have a lottery ticket so if it wins I’m in like Flynn!

pmarinovich likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    At that price, it should be exactly what you want. Also, guitars are a terrible investment in general. So it think you made the wise choice.

pmarinovich likes this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I think you might be better served trying to get it returned to the original seller. The way the market is here you a liable to take a beating reselling it yourself.

pmarinovich likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.