Didn't Know They Played Gretsch

LesB3

Gretschie
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
social-d-2.jpg

That's a hot-rodded single-pup Annie, but to be honest, in over 20+ years of going to their shows, never saw Mike play anything but his Goldtop.

Shock

Synchromatic
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
This must be from the tour where Jimi Hendrix was the opening act for the Monkees for a short time.

Jimi Hendrix drops out as opening act for The Monkees | HISTORY
I can just imagine what is going on here. Jimi has the Annie upside down, bass strings up, and playing something. Probably a Monkee's song. Peter and Mike cannot believe their eyes, wondering "how the heck?"

Shock

Synchromatic
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
social-d-2.jpg

That's a hot-rodded single-pup Annie, but to be honest, in over 20+ years of going to their shows, never saw Mike play anything but his Goldtop.
I think Mike should have tried out a Duo. He would have liked it. But now he has licensing issues with Gibson CS, so I doubt we will ever see him with anything other than the relicked Gold Top.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
First time I heard Stay Cat Strut was when I attended my daughters' dance recital of all places 🤣 Was immediately hooked and bought the CD.
The first I heard of Stray Cat Strut was when I was playing a minor key Country instrumental I had written, which had a descending bass line. It wasn’t even the same changes as Stray Cat Strut, which is pure Andalusian Cadence, and my song stayed on the same minor triad upper structure and the bass walked down.

But one of my niece’s friends said I was playing Stray Cat Strut. I had never heard of the song, but when I heard it, I liked it. The changes a different, and the melody is completely different, but for a non-musician, it was a pretty impressive recognition.

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
The first I heard of Stray Cat Strut was when I was playing a minor key Country instrumental I had written, which had a descending bass line. It wasn’t even the same changes as Stray Cat Strut, which is pure Andalusian Cadence, and my song stayed on the same minor triad upper structure and the bass walked down.

But one of my niece’s friends said I was playing Stray Cat Strut. I had never heard of the song, but when I heard it, I liked it. The changes a different, and the melody is completely different, but for a non-musician, it was a pretty impressive recognition.
The best time that I heard “Stray Cat Strut” was when I bought The Blank Generation Lp. :cool:

BobYoshi

Electromatic
Aug 4, 2022
Port Coquitlam

😎

Desirsar

Gretschie
Jun 9, 2021
Lincoln, NE

And the age and exposure of the person recognizing it will change the song - I'd hear Walk, Don't Run first unless you were playing the exact timing of Stray Cat Strut. Little less Gretschy, though...

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
And the age and exposure of the person recognizing it will change the song - I'd hear Walk, Don't Run first unless you were playing the exact timing of Stray Cat Strut. Little less Gretschy, though...
In this case, the person doing the recognizing was a teen, about the time that Stray Cat Strut was getting airplay. I tended to think of that song as in keeping with some of the minor key instrumental Country that Chet Atkins played. Someone from the Balkans or the Middle East may have heard similarity to some of the music of their locale(s), which is minor key heaven.

BohemianLikeMe

Synchromatic
Apr 18, 2020
Prague, CZ
And I thought this was just posing, but he's done multiple covers with this 6120...

Ny01MjQyLmpwZWc.jpeg

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

I'm also fairly certain I've seen someone on here say they have a Gretsch that used to be Izzy's. Wonder if it is this one.
Isn't that supposedly the one he used on Appetite for Destruction?