Did this Gretsch Falcon model ever exist???

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by yeatzee, Oct 11, 2021.

1. yeatzee

yeatzee Electromatic

Sep 16, 2019
    Oceanside
    I've been toying with the idea of finding a "yang" to my G6136T-LDS "yin" in the form of a black falcon with filtertrons but I'm struggling to find a model that matches what I'm looking for in Gretsch's catalog (used is fine). Did this guitar ever exist? If not what's the closest thing?

I'm looking for a Gretsch Falcon with the following specs:
    • Black (nitro?) finish
    • Gold sparkle binding
    • Vertical sparkle logo
    • Full sized inlays with the little pictographs in them
    • Filtertrons
    • Bigsby
    • 25.5" scale length
    • Mud switch would be nice, but not 100% necessary

So did that guitar ever exist in the Gretsch lineup? Basically I want what my G6136T-LDS is only with filtertrons and in black.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 4:04 AM
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Beautiful guitar . I do hope you find what your searching for

3. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    I believe the 2004 model is what you're looking for. Has that combination of features that I don't think was ever offered again. Luc Doucet of the duo Whitehorse has both a white and a black. He had two whites for years. He sold one when he discovered his friend and music manager was selling the matching black. They bought them at the same time.

upload_2021-10-12_9-45-50.png

drmilktruck, new6659, db62 and 2 others like this.
  4. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Just for fun...

upload_2021-10-12_9-48-45.png

That's his wife, and yes she is gorgeous in person. They live not too far from me in Toronto. I've seen them many times in concerts, big and small.

drmilktruck and mrfixitmi like this.
  5. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    @DaddyDog is correct, I do have a 2004 Black Falcon with the same specs that you quoted.
    Please note it does have a "mud switch".
    The Gretsch designation is G6136TBK with a bigsby, or G6136BK with the tail piece.

I am trying to find the picture so that I can load it, mine is the G6136TBK.

DaddyDog likes this.
  6. yeatzee

yeatzee Electromatic

Sep 16, 2019
    Oceanside
    Ah, perfect thank you guys. So i'm looking for the TBK then, which of course nothing really shows up for when I search it. I'm assuming those are poly and not nitro?

Thanks but the thumbnail inlays are kind of a deal breaker for me personally :)

7. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Here is the picture of the 2004 G6136TBK, the only modification was the space control bridge was replaced with a Gretsch gold rocking bar bridge. The intonation was still perfect with the rocking bar bridge as it was with the space control bridge. For me it was less irritating then the sharp "wheels" on the space control bridge.
    2004 black Falcon.jpg

JC higgy, drmilktruck, mbkri and 5 others like this.
  8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    Is he gorgeous in person too?

mister rain and Henry like this.
  9. yeatzee

yeatzee Electromatic

Sep 16, 2019
    Oceanside
    Perfection, that's what I need! Only thing I'd change is probably use a compton bridge and swap the bigsby handle with either the bigger spoon one that came on mine or maybe even a chet arm to make it a bit more different. Were these only made for 1 year?

10. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Mine is a nitro finish, not sure if it migrated to the urethane later. I played a 2010 with a urethane finish, and it sounded fine. I do love the Compton bridges. I have a brass one on a gold trimmed Country Jet, and it is wonderful. We selected a rocking bar because I wanted to keep it as true to Gretsch as I could. The handles can be interchangeable. I replaced the handle on mine because the finish was worn/pitted, as well as the space control bridge. If you replace the handle base in lieu of only the handle, they should work.

You still can find the 2004 out there just be patient. I lucked out on this one. The year was 2009 and people were out of work. I gentleman came into one of the big box stores when I was buying a new capo. I heard the man asking if they would give him $1,220 so that he could make his rent. The jerk offered him $1,000, he said that he did not want to have his family living on the street, the jerk offered him $1,050.
    He sadly walked out, I met him in the parking lot, and he said that his rent was $850, but he wanted to give his kids a nice Christmas. As I said, the handle and bridge were rough, but it was in nice shape. I told him that it he wanted to follow me to the bank, I would pay him $1,875 enough for two months and some money for presents. He agreed, it did require some clean up, polishing, new strings and set up, but he had all the case candy, and the original receipt from 2004.
    I gave it to my son as a graduation present, he used it in musicals, concerts, and shows.
    The man said that most people bought them as a collector's items, so I would not be surprised if some in better condition are still available, be patient, and you will find one. The hardest part of any search is knowing what you want, so when you see, you can buy it. We hear many regrets on this forum where people wait and when they come back, it is gone. You are more than half way there!

mbkri, Ricochet, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  11. yeatzee

yeatzee Electromatic

Sep 16, 2019
    Oceanside
    Wow that's a great story! Yes, I found my Gretsch almost by accident and I'm SO glad I made the decision to buy it vs second guess because it would have been very hard to find another like it. I've got a lot of guitars but my Falcon is SPECIAL in every sense of the word. I've always considered myself a Gibson guy but there's no denying this guitar has carved its own spot in my heart and I would never sell it.

Looks like I'll be keeping an eye out and hoping I get lucky sooner or later with this 04 model!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  12. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    Way to lead by example and thanks for info on my new sinker wood guitar. Your posts put me over the top.
    You’re like a real hero.

new6659 and mrfixitmi like this.
  13. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
  14. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    900AEA75-051E-4BA7-9039-CC563A121BD0.jpeg +1 on the 04.
    I wanted to find a black one too but i ran out of patience and found a white one in “mint” condition with only light studio use.
    I swopped out the Bigsby (aesthetic preference) and am waiting on a Rocking Bar bridge (playing preference).
    Good luck on your search. They DO come up from time to time. I found mine just two months ago!

yeatzee, new6659, JC higgy and 3 others like this.
  15. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Only when dressed as a librarian ;-)

mrfixitmi and db62 like this.
  16. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Big fan of Luke, Melissa, White Falcon and Whitehorse. I'm still hopeful of seeing them in concert some day.

DaddyDog, mrfixitmi and db62 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.