Did Rock Music Die in 2010?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Apr 18, 2021.

1. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

I came in here to write a joke but @wabash slim had already done it at post #9.

wabash slim likes this.
  2. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas

At .40 seconds Jack eloquently explains the death of rock n roll and good music in general and for a long time I have believed he is exactly right. Pre-MTV music was strictly a audio experience. I know when I here ...for instance.... The Last Time by the Stones, There is a mental imagery that comes to my mind the first time I heard the song.....generally involving who I was with, what I was doing, where I was at. I could ask any of you what you think of when you hear The Last Time and your imagery would be different than mine and everybody else. The music back then required you to use your imagination and paint your own story to go with the song you where hearing. The music painted the picture. With the coming of MTV Sumner Redstone painted the picture for you and put it to music....no thought or imagination required. MTV equalled the picture painting the music for you, and the music suffered greatly for it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Rmccamey, ooglybong and new6659 like this.
  3. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    "Fat washed up loser and crush your soul..." Loved this. And Joan Cusak is awesome.

MentalTossFlycoon likes this.
  4. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Yup. Put that guitar down and go get yourself an IT career like a goo....oh...wait...nevermind.

As you were.

-m

5. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Gretschie

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    As already mentioned, we'd need a universally accepted definition of what "rock music" is. I have no clue who David Bennett is. As for Rick Beato, I know he has a couple of million YouTube subscribers but I've never made it through one of his videos.

Two personal, subjective opinions mean little to me. They hold no more weight than hers and hers and his (sorry, Three's Company crept in there).

To me, rock music is alive as long as somebody somewhere knows at least three chords and has something to say. I won't say it's "alive and well" because the industry is certainly not well when streaming has taking over and artists can't afford to live on what the streaming platforms pay out.

NJDevil likes this.
  6. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Eagles are totally pop. They may be rock, too, but they are so pop. "With five number-one singles and six number one albums, six Grammy Awards, and five American Music Awards, the Eagles were one of the most successful musical acts of the 1970s in North America."

8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Not fast enough, but we'll get there. It's only a matter of time.

9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    The charts get it right from time to time. It's a very fickle industry. But SRV Texas Flood never gets old.

NJDevil and Duo Slinger like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Great minds think alike.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    hehehe the way many of you are going on here no-one is releasing good guitar based rock records anymore .
    There is - you're just not aware of them and are stuck in the past....

Here's a few recent one's..... and how about we start a positive thread about good rock albums being released within the past 10 yrs :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

collama, JeffreyLeePierre and Henry like this.
  12. r0de0

r0de0 Synchromatic

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    wabash slim likes this.
  13. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Pretty sure there's plenty of rockers not using autotune.

-m

Henry and Waxhead like this.
  14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah nothing's wrong with pop music if it's written and performed well.
    After all the word pop comes from popular and it's a good thing to be popular isn't it? Surely better than having most people hate you...:D.

ooglybong, Henry and drmilktruck like this.
  15. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    This is based on whether something has commercial appeal or not.
    If something has commercial appeal these days it usually means that it is really weak, safe, and lame.

The REAL Rock n’ Roll is underground music now.
    Personally, I’m glad and I hope it stays that way.

16. Winkels

Winkels Electromatic

Jun 23, 2018
    Canada
    Thank you. Rafferty was an amazing musician and it's weird to see him equated with merchants of schlock.

17. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    The commercial space for music died a long time ago. Now all you need is a computer, some beat loops and off you go. What constitutes "musicians" today is a poor excuse. Any clown can record in his bedroom with vocalizers, stolen loops and be as rude and nasty as they can get and self-publish. The comment about Austin City Limits is spot on - disgusting. Yeah, I'm old and sound like a cranky old rocker but seriously - when you could go to an eatery/bar/venue that states they have "live music" and all there is a some clown with a DJ rig....nope...that ain't it.

ooglybong likes this.
  18. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Synchromatic

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    drums guitar bass singer

make it yourself.. there is no mystery..

Henry, collama and pmac11 like this.
  19. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    I wish I had a dime for every time somebody said rock is dead. It's still there, it just takes a little effort to find it.

20. Tokairic

Tokairic Electromatic

Load of rubbish - as someone who has been around since the 1950's I can say that rock music has never had anything to do with the "pop charts". Early Rock and Roll maybe but not Rock. All the best rock was album based and only rarely released as a single, even more rarely showing on the "pop" charts - or Hit Parade if you go back far enough. Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven made it, but they weren't famous and filling venues on that basis alone, by a long way.
    I think Deep Purple may have had the odd one make the charts, probably Black Knight.
    Obviously right at the beginning the Stones, Beatles etc were charting singles but thats hardly Rock.
    The album buying rock aficionado would not consider even looking at the "pop charts".

ooglybong and Duo Slinger like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.