Dick Dale live - some GC event 2009

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by juks, Jun 24, 2021.

1. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Cool stuff... so he's lefty... uh? The strings? What? Did he learn playing right hand guitar upside down? He also seems to have just volume knob left for use, without a knob :). What a guy.

2. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    He was one of a kind! Thanks for sharing!

Duo Slinger and juks like this.
  3. Always good to see. It was also good to see a guitar center with a stock on the walls.

Duo Slinger, juks and TSims1 like this.
  4. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Thanks for sharing.

juks likes this.
  5. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    DICK DALE "KING OF SURF GUITARS"

He not only was a lefty but he learned to play with a righty guitar upside down backwards and played that way his entire career. I saw him four times in concert and didn't notice he was playing is guitar upside down until the second time I saw him. He was truly amazing and I miss him. His 6th string was the high E. TUNING ORDER High 6th string E 5th B, 4th G, 3rd D, 2nd A, 1st E

Duo Slinger and juks like this.
  6. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Surf's up!

There goes Annette and Frankie!

BIB.

juks likes this.
  7. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    I'm so glad I was able to see Dick in concert twice (and chat with him after each set) before he passed. I have a signed posted from him hanging in my office.

calebaaron666, SAguitar and juks like this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    HOT DANG !

juks likes this.
  9. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I was in contact with his wife, Lana Dale, a few years before his passing because I wanted to make a documentary on those two in the worst way. Their love story was very epic and they are just two wonderfully unique individuals.

Unfortunately they had someone they trusted take advantage of them and make off with a lot of personal memorabilia. I’m not sure if they were too guarded to pursue or just didn’t want the invasion into their privacy. In any case, I wasn’t able to get them to agree.

I did make a bootleg video of a Dick Dale concert in Raleigh, NC a few years before his death. It’s just for me to watch and remember the great King of the Surf Guitar. He was a true giant among men.

juks and Viking Power like this.
  10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    That's how I play as well. I didn't realize until recently that there are lots of left handed players that play that way. I imagine that it's because when we were younger there weren't many lefty guitars available. When I got my first true left handed Les Paul in 1973 I waited 9 months for it to arrive. I was determined that I was going to learn proper but after a few days I realized it wasn't going to happen. I had already been playing for 3 years "the wrong way"...:D. I imagine it was even harder back in Dick's early days. So he just picked up a righty and played it upside down.
    I recently worked with a bass player in the studio who played upside down as well. It was funny because we were practicing a song and we were watching each others hands and laughed because neither one of us could figure out what the hell the other one was doing...:). I can watch a righty play and tell right away what he's doing.

blueruins, juks and Viking Power like this.
  11. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Yes, your last point. I was thinking maybe I can learn some simple things from Dick's video. But then realized that lefty and the strings that way, it's close to impossible, lol.

12. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Dick liked it Loud. He was a major reason Leo Fender kept trying to make more powerful amps. Monster guitar player and very dedicated to his art.

blueruins likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.