DEVOTED NEWBY NEEDS HELP. A Gretsch Origin Story. BIGSBY Problems, among others. Guitar Choice?

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Lance Young, Nov 24, 2021.

1. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I'll add my voice to the group suggesting that you go with a regular MIJ Pro Line Gretsch. Masterbuilt guitars are cool, no doubt, but a Professional Series Gretsch will give you flawless quality for 1/3 of the price.

You mentioned that you were looking for a guitar that's less than 2" thick with a lower bout that's under 16". If that's what you're seeking, check out the Broadkaster Junior. It's 1.75" deep and 14" wide at the lower bout. I played one a few years ago and loved it.

If you prefer a 16" lower bout, check out the Broadkaster, the Country Gentleman, or the Tennessee Rose. All top-notch guitars.

Archtops, new6659 and Duo Slinger like this.
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Check out the 2 used Gretsch panthers on reverb right now. 16", centerblock, B6 Bigsby. Cool panther on pickguard.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    section2 likes this.
  3. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    If you love the guitar and it has a tension bar, don't let that distract you. My son bought a Gretsch with P90s and the "dreaded" tension bar on the Bigsby B50. The Brick's BiggsFix with the Super Squishy Spring works so well, that it is a pleasure to play. I now have installed (9) of these on various guitars, and it is a great solution. Not every Gretsch with a Bigsby has the issue. I am including a picture from the Brick's BiggsFix that shows the steep angle that causes the stiffness and high tension issues. See if this makes sense.
    Briggsfix before after.PNG

thunder58, Archtops and section2 like this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That's authentic vintage '60s three martini lunch craftsmanship there.

5. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yes, Panthers kick ass!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  6. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Welcome to GT Lance!
    Big fan of the MIJ Broadkaster Jr. I have two of them. G6659TG. I truly believe they are top of the line guitars that you will love.
    Best of luck!
    FC02C08A-517A-4735-B662-4F1775EADC62.jpeg 8E7E0CE8-188A-48D1-9E64-977E58D94687.jpeg 160C7705-ED21-465A-8E7E-EF5A55783A10.jpeg

new6659, section2 and mrfixitmi like this.
  7. Gasee

Gasee Gretschie

Jun 4, 2009
    North Wales
    I just picked up my Dream Gretsch - a Gretsch player sparkle Jet with the double bar - and it has one of the lightest Bigsby arms I ever felt on a Gretsch. Who Knows?

Attached Files:

Stefan87, Gregor and new6659 like this.
  8. Lance Young

Lance Young Electromatic

Nov 8, 2021
    UPDATE UPDATE: I will not quote names but I talked to someone at the Gretsch. They said Bigsby's are not installed to be "straight." They are aligned to work with the complexity of an archtop for the best angle and tuning. He hinted that to think otherwise on an archtop was naive. He said that on flat-top guitars the Bigsby's are generally straight. The type of Bigsby is chosen usually after the hand-made archtop is finished.

Hmmm. He suggested I look at other custom shop Gretsch's and that I would find slight mid-alignments on many of them.

Well, he was right. A few are. Attached is a Duo Jet Masterbuilt for sale with an off angle Bigsby.

Hmmm

Attached Files:

9. Lance Young

Lance Young Electromatic

Nov 8, 2021
    Here is another --

Attached Files:

10. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Those 2 pics simply demonstrate the common discrepancy in string tension between treble and bass side. The wound strings on the bass side have more tension and pull the Bigsby sideways cause of the slight flex in the hinge and the hinge itself balancing on a curved bout Easy fix by the way.

I don’t know who the person at Gretsch was nor do I care, but if I was boss I’d fire him on the spot. Absolute horse droppings.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021 at 4:05 PM
    new6659 and Gasee like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.