Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
I got some better play time this morning comparing the hand wired Atomic Brain to the newer Atomic with added switches. So far I’ve got to say my ears can’t tell the difference on initial tone comparison. Until you engage the added switches. They can thicken up the lows, etc. Making it like a Swiss Army knife of Brains to dial in your sound your sound if you play through different gear. Tavo nailed it IMO by combining the Atomic, Billy, and Bass Brain.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
I got some better play time this morning comparing the hand wired Atomic Brain to the newer Atomic with added switches. So far I’ve got to say my ears can’t tell the difference on initial tone comparison. Until you engage the added switches. They can thicken up the lows, etc. Making it like a Swiss Army knife of Brains to dial in your sound your sound if you play through different gear. Tavo nailed it IMO by combining the Atomic, Billy, and Bass Brain.
I want one but I want to make sure I "need" one.

OK, I only need food and water but.......I'm trying to better understand what it can do for me. There are a couple of preamps I like on the market and have to say that 3 of the 4 are 12au7-tube preamps. I like what I've heard but I have Tavo's voice in my head from what he wrote....."The Atomic Brain will make what you are currently hearing sound better."(very close paraphrase) In other words, does it take what you love about your sound and expand it....giving you a bit more of it? I can't help the feeling I have that the Atomic Brain rises higher than the other preamps I am looking at.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida

OK, I only need food and water but.......I'm trying to better understand what it can do for me. There are a couple of preamps I like on the market and have to say that 3 of the 4 are 12au7-tube preamps. I like what I've heard but I have Tavo's voice in my head from what he wrote....."The Atomic Brain will make what you are currently hearing sound better."(very close paraphrase) In other words, does it take what you love about your sound and expand it....giving you a bit more of it? I can't help the feeling I have that the Atomic Brain rises higher than the other preamps I am looking at.

I’m not sure what your looking for in a preamp. The right foot switch is basically the RE-301 preamp. I find it doesn’t change my sound or add any mid humps or anything. Perfect for if you like your tone but want it to sound better without adding color to it. It just makes it all sound clearer and more articulate when playing clean. Crank up the volume from 12-3 and it’ll push your tube amp to break up nicely though. The left foot switch is the Abby mode. Technically, I think it reduces the resistance internally or something. Whatever the case, it makes everything more sensitive to how hard or light your pick attack is. It’s really noticeable as a player. So the right toggle is what was the Billy Brain. Basically an Atomic Brain that was made for players with Master volume amps. The left toggle is the Bass Brain. Which is essentially a presence cut to the Bass Brain. It’s all on the Nocturne website if you scroll down.

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida

Btw, anything other than food and water is largely overrated except for a Brain. So you may “need” this pedal. Especially if you’re overall satisfied with your tone but simply want more of it with improved clarity, be able to push you tubes a little, and add more picking dynamics on tap. If you are and do want it, this may end up being the secret in your sauce.

Latest posts