Delay in PEDAL FORM survey says...

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Merc, Nov 16, 2020.

What’s your favorite delay type in pedal form?

1. Digital

14 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Analogue

22 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. Tape

20 vote(s)
    35.1%
  4. Drum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Oil Can

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Ohh the H9! That’s on my “if I ever get that much pocket change” list. I do worry that it might be over complicated for my taste tho, I almost sold off my ElCap because there is no easy indicator on the secondary settings :)

Merc likes this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Variety is the spice of life! You need an all of the above choice! I like them all but I I can have only one it better sound analog. I wish they still made Moogerfooger over pedals. I kick myself for not saving for a couple of those.

Merc likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You're right, of course. And, as always---analog in, analog out---no matter how much digital magic is done in between. Still, mechanical is always analog.

4. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

It's old. It isn't as clean as it used to be, physically and in sound, but I keep using my DL-4 for stuff... I used to use the looper mode a lot, but have been relying on a Ditto X2 for that...

I had a rack Lexicon MX200 which I loved, but haven't replaced it after it crapped out a few years ago... Oh, I just got some nostalgic gas!... but the MX200 has been discontinued!...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    MotorCentaur and Merc like this.
  5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    So do I. I don’t always proof read after the auto-error on my iPhone does it’s work. Haha... thanks for busting my chops though.

knh555 likes this.
  6. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    My two favorites seem to tape emulations, or else digital delays using the PT2399 chip. They seem to have an interesting character to the repeats (clear but not sterile at all).

RomanS and Merc like this.
  7. DonArcher

DonArcher Gretschie

May 29, 2014
    Ca
    Simple mxr cc, have been looking at the catalinbread belle epoch.

Merc likes this.
  8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    how did you separate the preamp in the RE-20?

Merc likes this.
  9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    [​IMG]

DennisC and Merc like this.
  10. TNO1

TNO1 Electromatic

Apr 17, 2018
    North Carolina
    I tried so many clones of the DM-2. Best one for me was the VD-400 mentioned previously. It just supports the guitar in a very cool way almost like verb. So glad I finally broke down and got a DM-2W Waza-Craft. Great-sounding buffer and double the delay time. Most bucket brigade delays have more clock noise when the delay is dimed and I always want just a little more than 300ms.

capnhiho, DennisC and Merc like this.
  11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I interpreted it as he added a RE-301 (Brain pedal) with it. Before I got rid of my RE-20 I threw my Atomic Brain after it. Of course it sounded better. But that is a good question for clarification.

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I don't know why the stupid Danelectro Dan echo is always around my life, its a non true bypass, degraded repeat havin, giant, heavy, doorstop of a pedal but i always have fun playing it, I'm on my 3rd or 4th one and i ain't gettin rid of this one. I also have a Boss RV-3, killer pedal that needs more notice, a Keeley Memphis Sun, a Hardwire DL7 and a real WEM Copycat so, i think i'm pretty well covered.

Merc and calebaaron666 like this.
  13. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    One day I was scrolling around the local music sheets and found this announcement about this fella having put a Space Echo RE-201 pre amp section in a box... I was always been told that those Boss RE-20 aren’t bad sound wise but lacked a lot on the preamp section (actually, there’s no preamp section at all as if you try to max the preamp nothing really noticeable happens). So I bought it... to be honest, I have no clue about what’s inside it, but it seems to work. I put it before the Boss and it seems to enhance the clarity and the ‘grind’ of the echo section. It’s a very linear boost (even with gain maxed there’s very little saturation), and the tone knob gives be a better sound if I leave the Boss tone knobs flat.
    Like I said, I’m not using it much nowadays and I’m not really after a Setzer tone, but it’s good to have an option.
    If you’re interested I could send you some pics of the inside. I would love to know your thoughts. Maybe it’s just a fake job.. :)

Merc and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  14. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, me too. Allows for one less pedal on the floor, which I really like, as I've got a minimalist approach to that sort of thing. The fewer the better.

I actually prefer my reverb coming straight from the amp, but I bought a used Vox Pathfinder 15 a few years ago that didn't have onboard reverb. Otherwise I really liked it (great little amp), so I needed something to go with it.

I wound up with a Dispatch Master. Good sounding pedal, nice delay settings, excellent, big sounding reverb. Funny thing is that what started out as a purchase for use with that one specific amp has grown into one of my favorite "always on" pedals. I use it with practically everything now.

Merc likes this.
  15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I stumbled into the Dispatch Master, while visiting Rainbow Guitars. It makes for a great default sound, which I can use for almost everything.

Merc likes this.
  16. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I'm sorry thats not what I was asking. I Thought you found away to mod the Boss RE-20 to reroute the dry signal as it gets fed into a digital converter, there is no analog preamp per say for the dry signal. Setzer's tone though is not from a 201 preamp for the record, rather its the 301 opamp based preamp.

stiv and Merc like this.
  17. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Oh... ok. Not very much a modder, I wouldn’t be able to do a mod like that on a pedal.
    When I saw that preamp box on the local market I remembered the words my old guitar teacher (the one who turned me into Gretsch and Setzer) about the Boss RE-20. He owned an original and bought the Boss to drag around at gigs in order to save the real thing. He told me that Boss sounded right, apart from the pre amp section that it’s just linear and doesn’t saturate like the 70s one. When I saw that Preamp pedal I thought “problem solved!”.
    That’s the story of it :)

Merc likes this.
  18. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    My go to these days is a Strymon El Capistan. It's on my main pedal board for all shows. I also have a Strymon Deco, and I wish I had more room on my board so I could add it. Awesome pedal!

My backup board still has a 1983 Boss DM-2 on it. I currently own five of them. I have found nothing on the market that will beat them to my ears. with the possibly exception of the El Cap, of course...

mbkri and Merc like this.
  19. Slighter

Slighter Electromatic

Dec 5, 2019
    Chicago
    80's DM-3 - because it still works and I can't swing a mystery brain at this time

Merc likes this.
  20. Cass

Cass Electromatic

May 24, 2020
    Melbourne
    5DABF297-8868-4D92-B3C5-48FC6147432D.png I have an Anasounds Utopia that I quite like. It’s a tape echo with not a lot of controls (mix, repeat, delay), and a modulation switch. Internal adjustments take the max 400 mesclun delay up to 600 msec . What I like about it is the musicality of the tone, and (importantly for me) having the input & output at the top with the power input - this gets pedals closer together and keeps patch cables maybe easier to manage. And the laser etched wood finish looks good!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    MotorCentaur, Merc and S.R.Cash like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.