Delay in PEDAL FORM survey says...

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Merc, Nov 16, 2020.

What’s your favorite delay type in pedal form?

1. Digital

14 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Analogue

22 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. Tape

20 vote(s)
    35.1%
  4. Drum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Oil Can

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Between my Mystery Brain and Malekko Ekko 616 I've got all the bases covered. If I had to kick one off it'd be the Malekko, but these both bumped the DD-2.

Merc likes this.
  2. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
  3. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    I really like the Strymon Volante'. It's modeled after a Binson Echorec, but I use it to replace my Roland RE-201. And a Mystery Brain as first in line for its preamp goodness and occasional slapback.

Merc likes this.
  4. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Strymon ElCap and Mystery Brain on main board. Dan Echo on secondary setup, dig em all!

mbkri and Merc like this.
  5. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Man, I like that setup there. Everything you need and nothing you don’t. The organ pedal is killer

Trash Kidd and Merc like this.
  6. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Me three!

I have had a Carbon Copy, and liked it, although I wasn’t blown away by it. Currently I currently have three digital delays and am fine with any of them.

I have an EarthQuaker Devices Dispatch Master, which is Hall Reverb and Digital Delay. It sounds good, it’s simple, and because of combining two effects, it’s inexpensive.

I have a Boss DD-5 which I’ve owned for years. I set it for a short slapback with two repeats and it blends right in during legato playing, adding depth. For more staccato playing, the slapback jumps right out. It sounds fine and is part of the default sound on my largest board.

The third is my Stanley Blue Nebula, which emulates the delays Hank Marvin used (including all sorts of tape and drum delays), a Roland 301, and has Abby Road’s plate reverb, as well. It’s a lot of fun.

Highroller, Merc and Gretschmen65 like this.
  7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
  8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My guess is the question is more the sound than the technology. So El Capistan, while digital technology, is a tape delay sound.

I use a Tonal Recall for most delays, and use some oil can and digital delays from the Eventide H9 occasionally.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Merc and gtttrrr like this.
  9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Digital, Analog & tape.
    I use them all - I love echo.

Merc and MotorCentaur like this.
  10. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Yes Tony.. The organ pedal is great fun & becoming a great tool for recording. Ive recently added a Marshall Guvnor 2 for a slightly bit more dirt on a couple of songs.
    less is more for me..

Merc likes this.
  11. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    JHS Panther Cub V2 for slapback.

Merc likes this.
  12. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Bucket brigade-type pedals are analog - the difference between analog and digital is not that one type uses mechanical means, and the other doesn't - it's that with digital, your tone signal has to go through AD conversion, is then treated in a little "computer" and goes back to analog through DA conversion...

MotorCentaur, Merc and wabash slim like this.
  13. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I use (and like to use) a Behringer Vintage Delay VD400. It is said to be analog, and does nothing special but very exact replications of the signal going in - but you can plug in two devices downstream. Or one - then all is as usual. Two - processed and direct signal come out of seperate jacks, so you can do different things to them, like distortion on original, clean on delayed et al ... which I haven't made even close as much of as I could.

Actually, this feature was the one making me finally decide on this one - and the very reasonable price they ask for their pedals. So far, 2 of my 3 Behringer pedals sound great, and one might be rebranded as a fartbox (someone seems to think it is a fuzz ... its name kinda indicates such).

I also have one of those chinese miniatures, ... a Donner Wave. This has two modes, one making clear and usual repeats, the other somehow making it sound a little bit less bright and nice, I guess it's an attempt to sound like a tape delay, on the veeeeery cheap, but as it was a present from a very dear friend, and actually doesn't sound bad at all ... I'll keep it and use it.

Today, I might stack them ... haven't done so very often, only tried it out once ... sounds cool, sounds like something to waste a lot of time in - just what's needed right now.

Merc likes this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    One of my least fav FX to use, but I have an Empress Tape delay or Neunaber Expanse if I wanna go there.

Merc likes this.
  15. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    I don't own one... but the one that has me intrigued is the Strymon Deco.

Merc likes this.
  16. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    A DD3 seems to work for almost everything, but sometimes I use a TC Gauss. The Gauss on the fastest of repeat, maybe just 50ms and the echo up over noon sounds great for the Folk-A Billy kind of stuff I write too.

Merc likes this.
  17. knh555

knh555 Electromatic

Apr 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I prefer Analog over Analogue. :rolleyes:

MXR Carbon Copy works great for me on my pedalboard. Then again, I use digital delays on recordings all the time in my DAW and they sound fine too, just different. I suppose I use what the tune demands and sometimes a different vibe is important. Sometimes it doesn't matter.

I picked up a Strymon Deco last year too. Very. Cool. Pedal.

Scott, Merc and gtttrrr like this.
  18. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Same here.

Merc likes this.
  19. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Not using much delay in these days... the reverb of my Standel is so good that I really don’t feel I need it. The only delay pedal I own it’s a Boss RE-20 (improved with RE-201 separate pre amp section) so I guess I’m digital :)
    Btw, the best delay I’ve ever used it’s an Ampex ATR-700 Vari-speed. You can’t beat the real thing... too bad it couldn’t be dragged down to any gig or rehearsals, or put in any pedalboard!:D

TV the Wired Turtle and Merc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.