Defective tube socket?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by pmac11, May 15, 2021.

1. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Today was finally a nice sunny day, so I decided to set up outside and work on my 5W Trinity Triton kit. Spent the whole day, stripping wire and soldering. After dinner I ran the startup sequence, and when I powered up with all tubes in place, I was pleasantly gratified by the lack of smoke, humming, squealing, or exploding capacitors. I checked all the voltages per the instructions, and all were more or less per spec, except pin 3 of the 6SJ7 preamp tube (yes - octal preamp!). Pin3 reads zero volts, not 368V as it should. In this build, pins 1, 3, 5 are connected together to a common ground. I gently push back pin 6 to get a better view of the connection at pin 5, and the tab for pin 6 breaks off. Well frack.... It's a Belton, too. Odd.

New Belton on order. 5W octal preamp bliss delayed. C'est la vie.

The socket is a minor setback, and this is otherwise a good kit with decent instructions. I'd recommend it! Trinity Triton Kit | Trinity Amps

Pics when it's together. Stay tuned :)

2. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I know how you feel. Last summer when I built my 6G3 kit it was missing two resistors that I happened not to have in my parts bin. So I had to wait another week to finish the amp. The amp turned out great once I decided to put in an adjustable bias pot.

pmac11 likes this.
  3. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yeah, I figure it will be a week at least before the socket gets here. Oh well.

4. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yeah, the metal on those solder tabs is thin and crappy now days.

pmac11 likes this.
  5. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    On the bright side, ordering a new socket gave me the opportunity to pick up a green jewel for the indicator light, as well as about 10 feet of coloured 22AWG 600V wire for my next project.

swivel likes this.
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Surprising issue, @pmac11 :confused: ...

The chinese/gold ceramic sockets are indeed rather brittle and loose, so I way much prefer the Belton Phenolic ones, which I find to be fine quality... o_O These ones, exactly :

upload_2021-5-16_23-43-11.png
    A+!

7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    There's the little troublemaker... :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.