Deciding between a G6128T-59 and G6128T-PE

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by McIrish, Oct 16, 2020.

1. McIrish

McIrish Electromatic

Jan 7, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    I've got a G5220 Jet and it has been great, but I still kind of want a black Jet with the thumbnail fingerboard inlays and a rosewood fingerboard. I'm thinking of a G6128T-59 or G6128T-PE. Has anyone had a chance to play both, side by side? I'm not a purist at all. Access to the top frets is pretty important as well as a good feeling neck. I do a lot of finger picking, kind of like Lindsay Buckingham. I think I'm a little worried about the neck profile of the 59. It is a V. Usually I don't like that, but I can't find either of these guitars to try locally. I know the Bigsby is very different. I don't currently use one, so that isn't a deal breaker.

I'd love to hear some feedback on both. I know it sounds like I'm leaning towards the PE model but I don't want to make an expensive mistake.
    Thanks
    Tom

2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Many here prefer the jet that has the B3 bigsby, without a tension bar.

audept and MKunie like this.
  3. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Yeah most here will steer you away from the player edition due to the tension bar bigsby, i don't like them myself, if it had a non tension bigsby it would be a great choice.

audept likes this.
  4. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    The body is thicker and more chambered on the 59. I have the 53 jet and have no issues with high fret access, but if that’s super important then maybe go with the PE, that’ll have even easier fret access.

5. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Fwiw, I did play a players edition with the V hardtail and loved it. If I could get a second jet today it would definitely be that guitar, just to have a different flavor from my 53vs. A black one for sure since it looks similar with the big block inlays and scripty logo on the headstock

Merc and audept like this.
  6. McIrish

McIrish Electromatic

Jan 7, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    Is it that the friction bar Bigsby doesn't hold tuning as well? Honestly, I'm not sure how much I would use the Bigsby anyway. I do like the look of the true Duo Jet better. But, that V neck has me a bit nervous. I really dislike V shaped necks, except on mandolin. It's ok there.

I wish I could play them both locally, but no one has both in the NW Chicago area.... Which is odd.

7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Try the v neck and see of you like it. Gretsch Vs are pretty subtle I think.

new6659, audept and G5422T like this.
  8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Everyone's "feel" is different, even on the same neck! Lol.

Just me, but I love the Gretsch Vintage "V" neck. My favorite. It's a very soft v shape, and feels great to my hands.

If I were going to buy a Duojet, the -59 checks all the right boxes that I like.

Never played or considered a PE, as I prefer the -59 features on my Gretsches.

Best of luck in your quest.

Merc, Stefan87 and audept like this.
  9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I wish I was in a position to have to make a decision like this...

audept likes this.
  10. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    To me, you cant go wrong with any Duo Jet...
    I've had/have 5 or so not including the very similar G6121-1959.
    All have been fantastic guitars and even though I have three Gretsch hollowbodies, the DJs get most of the playing time.
    As Tara would say, get thee to a jettery!

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
  12. McIrish

McIrish Electromatic

Jan 7, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    OK. The 59 seems to be the overwhelming pick. Question...
    Due to the bridge not having adjustable saddles for intonation, have you noticed any tuning oddities?
    As I stated in the original post, no one in my area has either guitar so I can't compare in person. It's a lot of money so I'm hoping to make the right choice.

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    My Penguin has a bar bridge and I did not notice any intonation issues with it then I added a SS truarc and it was cut to fit my string choice and it also has no intonation issues. I have no desire to use any kind of rattlemattic bridge now that I’ve had a bar bridge.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    audept likes this.
  14. McIrish

McIrish Electromatic

Jan 7, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    What is it about the tension bar on the PE version that people don't like? Is it that with a tune-o-matic type bridge that it goes out of tune if you use the Bigsby? I'm really leaning towards the 59, but man... these are expensive. If it was only the sound, I could put some TV Jones in my G5220 and be done for a few hundred dollars. But, there is something about the G6128T-59 that just makes me want one. The fretboard and markers are a big thing. Can't beat ebony fingerboards and the thumbnail markers. I also like the mud switch. I'm a bit concerned about playability on higher frets due to the neck angle but maybe that isn't too big of an issue. hmmm. This is one of those expenses that make sense to a guitarist but not to a spouse.

15. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    The tension bar B-50 Bigsby I have is a lot stiffer.

I think you're right, a lot of them get used with tune-o-matic bridges which is problematic, so maybe a bit of guilt by association.

16. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Me personally I'd take the 59, the 6128T PE is going to be similar in feel then your 5220 which to me is a modern take on the jet with the lower neck angle which puts the strings closer to the body, there is nothing wrong with that of course as my 5230 is the same, but my penguins are based more on the traditional jet builds and there is just something about them that are just magic in your hands, but I will always sway to a classic object more then a modern thing, but in my eyes if you want a traditional Gretsch jet then you go vintage select series.

As for the neck, I'm not sure exactly what they mean by vintage 'v' but the v on my 6120 is like others have said very subtle, not sure if any of my rambling has helped but any way, good luck with the decision, if you do buy from somewhere maybe buy from someone who has a 14 day trail/return period so if you don't like the first choice you can take it back and swap it for the other one.

G5422T and Bertotti like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.