David Crosby Tune

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by drmilktruck, Jan 10, 2022.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    While searching for a video to post in the RIP Michael Lang thread I came across this outstanding version of my favorite CSNY cut. (Although I would rather have seen the Falcons heard on the original recording!)

For a long time I didn't give Crosby his due for contributions to the Byrds and CSN/CSNY. This song alone is worth a career.

2. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I'm a big Neil Young fan to this day, but I've lost track of the others. For a few years there, they were the "American Beatles" to many. Harmonies to die for, and stellar musicanship.

Great, if short lived, group.

3. toddfan

toddfan Country Gent

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    If you have not listened to Crosby's recent output...you should. I had the opportunity to see him live (with basically Snarky Puppy backing him) about a year before the recent health mess...and, as a huge fan of Todd Rundgren and seeing him over a hundred times, with respect...David Crosby might have put on the most musically enjoyable show I have ever witnessed.

Archtops, section2 and drmilktruck like this.
  4. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I saw him once, back when him and Nash were doing their "duo" thing - late 70's. Outdoor show with a girlfriend and a picnic basket. Same GF that dragged to me a James Taylor concert. I remember both shows as being very enjoyable. :)

drmilktruck and section2 like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've been lucky enough to see CSN (&Y) a few times. Always enjoyable shows. They seemed to end all of their shows with the a capella song "Find The Cost Of Freedom".

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    j.s.c and drmilktruck like this.
  6. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Do you remember hearing any of the songs played? :D

7. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Electromatic

Mar 13, 2016
    Texas Panhandle
    Some of Croz' new stuff is pretty good. This is my favorite cut from a recent album. That's Crosby's son James Raymond on the organ/electric piano, and the guitar player does a pretty good job of covering Mark Knopfler's solo on the original album cut.

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Beyond the music, I like the clip because they appear to be having fun. Crosby smiles and exchanges looks with other band members. Plus they just play, on a bare stage, very informal, milling around at the start.

9. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I liked that cut. I'll check out his more recent stuff. Nice to see him going strong in his late 70s, after many personal issues over the years. Voice still sounds strong.

One of the user reviews on All Music summarized what most people know of him: David Crosby is a brilliant singer/songwriter with an angelic voice who played in a pair of key folk-rock groups and overcame major drug problems.

10. Monster good song.
    And Stephen Stills doubling as a stage hand.

Is this the first lyrical use of “Freak Flag?”
    Greg Brown is the last most recent time I’ve heard that phrase.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    drmilktruck likes this.
  11. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Incredible songwriter, great singer, what a composer ... perhaps one of the few unicorns (the other I think is Joni Mitchell). They've really used the guitar in a unique way doing songs and chords progressions.

new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  12. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Just what this old man needed on a Monday.

My favorite Crosby song. Powerfull and stands up to the test of time.

The studio/album version is a showcase of their talent, and the passion of the times.

Thanks for sharing this.

drmilktruck and Runamok like this.
  13. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    CSN&Y were my biggest acoustic guitar influences in the early 70’s.

j.s.c, drmilktruck and thunder58 like this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Here Here

Archtops, gretscher09, j.s.c and 2 others like this.
  15. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Right on brother ........
    IMG_3205.jpg

Archtops and drmilktruck like this.
  16. afire

afire Country Gent

Crosby was recently a guest on my favorite SXM radio show, The Bennington Show (aside from being a hysterical comedy show, Ron Bennington is truly a master interviewer). They played a couple of tracks from his latest album, and I was really surprised. Unlike a lot of his peers, he can still write a great song and his voice has held up very well. The guy is 80, but his voice doesn't sound a day over 30.

Archtops and toddfan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.