"Dark Eyes" remake for the Japanese market?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Scott, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
  2. afire

afire Country Gent

It's on eBay, so I guess it kind of has hit the US market. Pedantry alert - it's a shame that whoever spec'd this FSR didn't request a 1950s reverse-serif logo. Not so long ago, that wasn't an option. But they now use it on the 6120-55 and maybe other models.

Scott likes this.
  3. afire

afire Country Gent

Also, that is a damned sexy guitar. Not something I need, but I remember seeing it in the Bacon and Day book way back when and being mesmerized.

4. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I'm hoping I'll eventually see it available from Streetsounds or Dave's, or some other shop here in the US. I don't need it but I've been coveting the model since Tom Doyle was in talks with Gretsch about it a few years back...

nasonm likes this.
  5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    The other option is to buy it from a Japanese seller and import it knowing you’ll pay a little extra for import taxes. Just check the sellers feedback.

One thing about Japanese sellers... usually you’ll see the same guitar and pictures in several listings with different prices. Only one has the guitar. The others are people who think they can get it for less than amount asked and make a profit. I’ve read that there has been cases they couldn’t get the guitar for the amount or that the real was already sold. And then they have to refund it. It’s a bummer because Japan has had some seriously cool guitars. But it’s all made me avoid taking the chance. Maybe Gallo Center has the real one in stock.

6. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Troggly on YT has bought and imported guitars from Japanese dealers and has his own buy/sell business in Ohio. You can contact him for advice and I think he will even handle the transaction for you for a fee if you want.

Merc likes this.
  7. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I've noticed that over the years. That makes it not an option for me. Was kinda hoping for a reputable US dealer to be able to source one.

I may have to check that option. Thanks for the tip!

Merc and Randy99CL like this.
  8. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Yes, if you want to buy through a dealer Trogly might be your guy. I've enjoyed his videos for a long time and learned a lot from him, he is really an expert historian on Les Paul guitars (and others).
    The Trogly's Guitar Show - YouTube

And I found his email for business inquires: [email protected]
    No affiliation or sponsorship, etc. Never met him and no connection but you can check the reviews on his Reverb store.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  9. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Thanks again. I just shot him a message through Reverb. We'll see what happens...

Randy99CL likes this.
  10. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
  11. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Okay, Trogly responded:

"I can certainly assist with getting that guitar from the actual dealer in Japan to you in the USA. I charge $150 + shipping costs for this service. Since it is a made-in-Japan guitar, there will also be around a 10% duty/tax charged by our country on importing this guitar. That'd make it around a $5250 purchase at the end of the day."

I've sent Rocky a message also to see if I'd have better luck there.

nasonm likes this.
  12. Buckyboy

Buckyboy Gretschie

Gretsch seem to make a lot of special runs for Japan-only sale so I would not expect to see this one for sale through a US Gretsch dealer.

13. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    That's what I'm afraid of. But I figure it wouldn't hurt to try...

14. Buckyboy

Buckyboy Gretschie

Absolutely! Will be interested to hear what you find out. I have seen several Japan-market Gretsch models that were really tempting.

15. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Oh well...messaged Streetsounds and Rocky personally and never got a response. Guess I'm up a dead end road...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.