Danelectro curiosity satisfied

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by nickurso, Jul 12, 2020.

1. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Well I had a chance to play a u2 today. Turns out my future son in law had one. Plugged it into my rig and it sounded good and played great. I just didn’t think it was that much different from other guitars I have. I realize I could change out the pick ups for some boutique lipsticks but I started to do the math. I can pick one of these up for $299. Not sure what the pick ups cost but I’m sure they ain’t cheap. I don’t want to put $4-$500 worth of pick ups into a $300 guitar. Especially a guitar that doesn’t have a feel that is up to the quality of other guitars I have. I like cheap guitars but also not making any unnecessary or impulse buys.
    Not sure what pick ups he has in this guitar if they are from a vintage Dano or they are custom pick ups but if the U2 sounded like these I’d be buying one right now. Maybe I should just put lipsticks in my strat?? any input on custom pick ups or anyone that has put these in other types of guitars would be appreciated

Merc, JT19 and audept like this.
  2. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I recently played a Danelectro 66 that had a double lipstick pickup in the bridge, with the ability to coil split. Also had a large single-coil in the neck position. Lots of really cool tones, and the guitar itself felt very nice. The retro look is great, too.

Must be cool to have a future son-in-law who also plays guitar!

pmac11, Merc and nickurso like this.
  3. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Yes it is cool

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    When I looked into Lipstick pickups for my Jagbari con Tele I did the rounds on the guitar forums and basically found only two kinds are approved. Seymour Duncan's and original Danos.

Since the latter are hard to find I opted for the SDs. They also come in two different outputs, a RWRP version and two different mounting options making it a breeze to install in a pickguard(originals screw into the body). Don't bother with GFS and Artec cheapies etc. unless you're just going for the look.

Merc and JT19 like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Duncan lipstick tubes might be considered "boutique", but Dano's never were. Danos were low budget guitars built for student beginners and folks with limited incomes. There is a beauty in their simplicity, however. Danelectro's forte was their shielded electronics (Nat Daniels worked on military radio designs during WWII), and affordability.

pmac11, JT19, nickurso and 2 others like this.
  6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Just got to love some SRV. Sadly, in about a month it’ll mark the 20th anniversary of his death. I hadn’t watched him for a while... thanks.

nickurso likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've seen Strats with lipsticks. Might there be a GHS pickguard loaded with them? Can't be too expensive, and it'd be a easy to swap option.

nickurso likes this.
  8. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    If you fancy to have a Dano because you like it and want to add it to your collection, I’d suggest to leave as it is and take the good (that Dano sound) with the bad (the fact that there’s not much a tonal difference from other guitars you have). I have Duncan Lipsticks on my Kay, which is way different from a Dano (it’s basically a small hollow body with no holes) but sounds nothing like any of my other guitars.
    To me, the real game changing are the Duncans Lipstick (although I tried a pair of Phat Cat Lipstick and they weren’t bad, much less voiced but they do the job and cost half the Duncans). I would put them in the Strat and they will sure give you a different tone.

9. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I‘ve only tried lipstick pickups in a Surfcaster in the 1990ies and in a reissue from Eastwood two or three years ago.
    I totally regret not to keep the Eastwood Surfcaster, it was a well finished, super comfy guitar with a great, individual tone- and a bargain. I was influenced of the bad reputation Eastwood „enjoys“...

Anyway, are those Danelectro lipsticks that bad? I‘ve read they reissued their original pickups close to detail in their newer models?

10. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I used GFS pickups for this build and it sounded pretty damn good.

05.jpg

pmac11, jfassett, Trash Kidd and 7 others like this.
  11. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    The GFS lipsticks sounded fine, I added one to my U2 early reissue in place of the stock, which was a bit weedy.
    But generally, the whole experience is a bit spongy, not sure how else to describe it. There's just a lack of attack. Tried a short tele bridge too. Still not got it where it needs to be

Shadowy_Man, nickurso and stiv like this.
  12. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    After the recommendations I watched some videos. The Curtis Novak pick ups sound great but this set up with the Duncan’s and the wiring harness he mentions are exactly what I want. I have a strat and this is the way I’m gonna go with them

BorderRadio, Jeff67 and Henry like this.
  13. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I saw Steve live three times. First time was at the second annual Chicago blues fest. Then with his brother and the fabulous thunderbirds and finally with Jeff Beck.
    The biggest disappointment of my music career was we were supposed to play a press release party at buddy guys place with SRV and double trouble, buddy and rumors of Eric Clapton stopping by. We would have been able to play on the same bill and hang out together. That show was for the night after he died. We were driving home from a 30 day tour and didn’t know anything about the show he did or what happened. I heard it on the radio the next day. Show was cancelled and we never met him :(

new6659, wildeman, Merc and 1 other person like this.
  14. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Pickups are only magnets and wire. Buy em cheap

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Magnets and wire---and magic.

nickurso likes this.
  16. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    I have used both the SDs and GFS lipsticks in Strat builds. Both sounded great. I just never can keep a Strat for myself for some reason.
    By the way, the Peavey with those blade pickups sounds sweet, too.

17. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    It'll actually be 30 years. I was remembering back when I heard the news, and thinking "could that have only been 20 years ago?" Threw me off for a second.

I only saw SRV in concert once, in 1989 at the Capital Centre in Landover, MD. He was touring with Jeff Beck. My buddy and I camped out the night tickets went on sale and got front row seats.

When he played "Couldn't Stand the Weather," I guess I did a really animated "air guitar" version when the guitar was supposed to enter over the opening bass line. The only problem is that I was few measures early. SRV noticed, wagged his finger back and forth at me playfully in a "no, no, no" gesture, then pointed to his guitar just before launching into the song at the correct time.

I still think about that every time I hear the song.

I almost drove to Philadelphia to see him again in the summer of '90... but I ended up saying I'd wait until the next time he came to DC or Baltimore. Sadly, that never happened.

18. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Yeah, I think that's just the nature of lipstick pickups. Either you like it or you don't.

nickurso likes this.
  19. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That’s a funny story that makes him very real... lol.

Ugh... I guess my math skills or memory haven’t aged well. But I’ve had a lot going on in life recently.

nickurso and JT19 like this.
  20. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    True but, the quality of the magnets and wire make a big difference

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.