Join Gretsch-Talk Today

D'Addario ECG23 Chromes Flat Wound

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Tinman46, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    A friend of mine was over the other night for a bit of a jam. He brought his guitar and he had flat wounds on it. When I gave it a play I found the strings very comfortable and a whole lot less squeaky. Tone was ok but I'm not familiar with his guitar (an off brand LP) and figure that might be a big part of the sound.
    I asked him what brand they where and he is buying two heavier sets to mix and match and get down around the 10 gauge mark. He seemed to think they don't make lighter gauge flat wounds. I did some looking and found these D'Addario ECG23 Chromes Flat Wound's that are already 10/48 gauge. I'm going to pick up a set and try them out but I'm curious if anyone else has tried them and what your thoughts are.

2. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Nice strings, absolutely worth a try. If you like them you might like Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swings even better. And yes flatwounds are available in lighter gauges.

3. Floo

Floo Synchromatic

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    And then there are halfrounds. Still have to try them, but they are supposed to be the best of both worlds, still bright, yet not squeaky. But I also haven't tried TI-flats, I guess since they are rather common with a lot of Gretschies they should be worth a try.

Tinman46 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    These are great strings but the G string is hard to bend (I came from a roundwound G). I just ordered alternate G strings - see my separate thread. Do you know the gauge that you tried? I am using the 11s.

Tinman46 likes this.
  6. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    He had a mixed set that ended up around 11/50, I'm not sure what the G string was, he said they where GHS something or other.

7. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I've used the 13 set, tossed the low E and bought a .009. Worked great on my 6119.

Tinman46 likes this.
  8. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    I have a set on my g5655 right now. 10/48. I like them, not as bright but a full 'round' sound. Flipped the wound G though for a plain. Somehow got away from the half rounds a few years ago...not sure why...they were just OK I guess.

Tinman46 likes this.
  9. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    I ordered a set off Amazon since my local shop doesn't have them in stock. Going to try them out on one of my Tele's and see what I think. Maybe they'll tame the harshness of the bridge pup on this particular Tele.

10. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Falmouth, Va
    I guess I'm the first to say I really don't care for Chromes. I put them on my 5127 and cut them off a week or two later in disgust. They were fine for about a day, then turned dull and lifeless. I tried them on one of my Strats and thought they just sounded weird.

I didn't try flats again for a few years. I kept reading about Thomastik Infelds and decided to bite the bullet and buy a set. Night and day... Night and day. Love T-I's. It's all I put on my Gretsches. They are brighter, last forever, and feel wonderful. They do come in a set of 10's, but it is a wound G. With T-I's round core, pure nickel construction, the wound G is just as easy to bend for me.

I've used Pyramids as well and like them a lot. But, the T-I's have become my sound. I like them on my Tele too, form time to time. Been trying a few other strings on it lately, some GHS, La Bella and some different Pyramids.

Strings are such a personal thing, though....

Tinman46 likes this.
  11. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I've used Chromes and they're cool + they're the only flats most stores will have. I haven't tried the Pyramid flats but I've used their Monels and they are favorites. The T.I.s are killer but i ordered a set of Galli flats too in 10 ga cause they were half the price and was really impressed, they are still on my Sheraton a few months later and sound great.

Tinman46 likes this.
  12. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Gretschie

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Thomastik Infeld are the best! I had 10 gauge flats on mine for awhile..awesome.

13. slimwilson

slimwilson Gretschie

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    Got the TI Bebops (round) on my Les Paul, and I love em. The sound is "warmer" than most of the big string brands, but still plenty rockin

14. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    T-I Jazz Swing in .10-.44 for the win ... unbelievable life time (upto 1 year) and more overtones, than any other flatwound ... not to forget bendability.

Axis39 likes this.
  15. OHokie

OHokie Electromatic

Mar 26, 2016
    Ohio
    D'Addario flatwounds are so dark I don't even use them on my jazz boxes anymore. T-I's FTW, though they're expensive.

16. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    The price is high, but when considering the life time, they are cheaper than roundwounds.

OHokie and Axis39 like this.