Custom Shop Lead Times

Ohthis

Electromatic
Jun 29, 2022
Netherlands
The Dutch dealer told me it would take 2,5 years. I was able to buy the one they had there, so no waiting for me
Ohh and a custom shop Gretsch is absolutely fantastic!

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I was told not less than two years. I still pulled the trigger. If I just wanted a fantastic Gretsch, I'd have found something off the shelf and been thrilled. But I have pretty specific details that I want, and there's nothing out there that's exactly what I'm after. Here's my feeling on the wait. If you're going Custom Shop, then it's probably a dream guitar you're after. If you can find it already made, that's a bonus. If not, then what's a couple of years or so? It's taken me a whole lot longer to find dream guitars I'd been hunting in the past.

To be able to simply place an order and be told it'll be ready in a two or even three years is practically a luxury compared to the amount of time and effort I'm used to expending when hunting for a nice vintage example of a particular guitar. But if you're used to walking into a shop and buying a guitar, or placing an order with Sweetwater, then you may not agree with me on that.

My only regret is that I spent a year and a half hemming and hawing about specs, thinking I had to have every detail set in stone before placing the order. That is not the case. I could have given them a pretty good idea of what I was going for, gotten an estimate, made a down payment and gotten my place in line. Then I could have spent my wait time nailing down my specs and been ready when they reached out to me before starting my build. Apparently that's how it works.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
I'm OK with that and hope it's not ok with others so they drop their orders so I won't have to wait so long when I'm ready to order.

My Wait time for a King of Tone pedal was 4.5 years.

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
Just got a quote on a CS '59 Jet and the lead time is.... *3 Years* 😲
Price was actually pretty good though.

Anyone else got anything moving through the CS? How long is your wait?

This CS '59 took 2 and a half years.

20220708_150805.jpg

Luckily the shop knew I wanted it two and a half years ago... ordered it without my knowledge, then waited for me to see it on their website, and buy it 😀

larryr

Synchromatic
Mar 6, 2012
Camarillo, Ca.
........ gotten an estimate, made a down payment and gotten my place in line. Then I could have spent my wait time nailing down my specs and been ready when they reached out to me before starting my build. Apparently that's how it works.
Curious what is required for down payment? 50%?

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I'm OK with that and hope it's not ok with others so they drop their orders so I won't have to wait so long when I'm ready to order.

My Wait time for a King of Tone pedal was 4.5 years.
Nobody wants to wait years for anything. But if you really want something, then you can wait years.
Curious what is required for down payment? 50%?
20%. I paid 100% up front. I don’t mind waiting for the guitar, but waiting for a massive bill to become due would annoy me something merciless.

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
Was it worth the wait??? Lol

Well... I bought it knowing I'd have to either sell it (if I wasn't convinced) or sell a number of guitars to pay for it.

I've just done a deal for a number of guitars, so yes it was worth it. It's hard to describe it...it's just not like other Gretsches I've played. It's a thoroughly enjoyable instrument.

LesB3

Gretschie
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
Well... I bought it knowing I'd have to either sell it (if I wasn't convinced) or sell a number of guitars to pay for it. I've just done a deal for a number of guitars, so yes it was worth it. It's hard to describe it...it's just not like other Gretsches I've played. It's a thoroughly enjoyable instrument.
Well, its a beautiful guitar, good on you!

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
Three years waiting- time is pretty standard on small-business makers that offer sought after products. And the Gretsch Custom shop is a really small-business.

There is a local tattoo artist over here who has a witing list for one and a half year. He says that the sideeffect is that people give their tattoo more thought. Usually his clients don`t feel sorry for having that tattoo even after a few decades.
I think that this could be the same with waiting for a dream Customshop Gretsch.

LesB3

Gretschie
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, once they explained to me the ratio of Gretsch CS to Fender CS builders, it all made sense. I guess I should be happy that Gretsch's aren't more popular!!!

rmconner80

Electromatic
Jun 19, 2017
Clifton VA
Wow, three years! I am thinking about ordering one myself soon, depending how my last ‘purchase’ pans out.

Back in June I actually bought a used 2016 CS Jet from Japan as it met almost every spec I wanted. Having bought several guitars from Japan before with no issue I didn’t even think twice about it, there are many excellent and high end guitar shops in Japan.

However that was three months ago, and the guitar has been tied up in US Customs ever since. I’m not sure I’ll ever get it, and if I do, I’m extremely worried at this point about condition given that it’s been sitting in various brokerage warehouses which are going to be 125F this time of year. I’ve spent probably 30 hours of my life on the phone with FedEx the last three months and at this time do not know what I need to do to get the damn thing.

Anyway sorry for the derail rant.

LesB3

Gretschie
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
I’ve spent probably 30 hours of my life on the phone with FedEx the last three months and at this time do not know what I need to do to get the damn thing.

Fed-Ex will be useless here, you need to get ahold of the Customs Office that is holding things up. Do you have a BoL or any other paperwork from Japan? Do you know which port of entry / customs location has it on hold? Could be held up for any number of reasons, but most of them end up being stupid paperwork issues.

rmconner80

Electromatic
Jun 19, 2017
Clifton VA
Fed-Ex will be useless here, you need to get ahold of the Customs Office that is holding things up. Do you have a BoL or any other paperwork from Japan? Do you know which port of entry / customs location has it on hold? Could be held up for any number of reasons, but most of them end up being stupid paperwork issues.
Yes, it’s in Memphis. I do have some paperwork from Japan.

It’s a litany of problems, mostly that FedEx does not contact me when they identify the problem or paperwork deficiency. So things sit for weeks because I don’t know what to do, or have a channel to submit the paperwork. Even though they say they will contact me, they don’t.

Thankfully I was able to get the phone number (from an online forum no less) of FedEx Trade Networks who do customs brokerage for idiots like me. They had a case open and everything, unbeknownst to me. We very quickly got through the impasse - after it had been sitting for the first month - with the Lacey Act declaration. However if I hadn’t miraculously gotten their number from a forum, we never would have gotten through that. A few days later, US Customs released it. It went to a hub in VA where I live. Then it whiplashed back to Indianapolis, then to Memphis. At this point I’m like “WTF?”

Then FedEx started claiming it was lost. Not sure if the label was ripped off or not, but though pressure from FedEx Japan they got US FedEx to find it and label it again.

Now I’ve been told US Customs originally released it in error, and it was not cleared. I have a new Trade Networks case manager, however she won’t pick up her phone when I call and won’t return my emails or voicemails. When I call to get a different agent, I am on hold for 1 hour 1 minute and 30 seconds, and then the line disconnects me. I’m told by FedEx customer support, who are nearly useless and usually misinformed, that it needs a TSCA form. I’m told by a supervisor at Trade Networks that there is a Fish and Wildlife hold on it. Having time to reflect on that, I now presume it’s the MOP inlays, again my fault for not thinking about that when I had the original paperwork.

I’m ok with all the mandates and Customs law and paperwork, but only provided that I have an avenue to identify and resolve the paperwork deficiency. I do not currently have that avenue. I can’t get the case worker to communicate with me.

Anyway, I could go on and on with the absurdities of the whole thing but will stop here!

LesB3

Gretschie
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
Amazing, considering this is a U.S. origin item to begin with. You might have some luck convincing them to release it if you can prove it was U.S. origin? Does the Japanese shop you bought it from still have the import paperwork by chance?

The company I work for stopped using Fed-Ex for international stuff for similar reasons -they *always* messed things up (mostly due to sloppy documentation practices) and the stuff we shipped out was ITAR so there ain't exactly room for error there.

Have you called the CBP Memphis office?