Custom Shop hopeful

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by cvr31, Sep 5, 2020.

1. cvr31

cvr31 Gretschie

So I have been thinking about trying to save up for a Custom Shop Falcon. Nothing too wild, but definitely something you can't get in a standard production model.

Basically a full size Falcon, trestle bracing, Bigsby, Setzer V-neck with the 9 1/2" fretboard radius and medium jumbo frets, frets on top of the neck binding (instead of having the binding cover the end of the fret), and finished in some shade of red. Either a solid red or a translucent red finish over some figured wood. Not sure yet whether I want the 55 or 59 inlays.

I haven't contacted a Custom Shop dealer yet to start the process. Not sure whether that will even be this year or not. More likely in another year or two. But I'm determined to do it.

I'll likely never buy another Custom Shop guitar after this one, so I am willing to wait to get exactly what I want.

Has anybody went through the whole process to have a Custom Shop Gretsch made? Were the dealers helpful? Were there any sticking points about the process? The more I think about it, the more excited I get about it.

JAP09, EsquireBoy, CatTones and 2 others like this.
  2. j_double_u

j_double_u Electromatic

I would love to hear about the whole process and to see it well documented with pics.

3. CatTones

CatTones Gretschie

Jul 28, 2017
    Boston
    OMG Custom Shop Falcon, :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

4. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Best of luck. I would definitely ask the CS if they are offering "vintage correct" binding for the Falcon?

There's a major difference between the vintage and modern bindings.

So far, I haven't seen any CS Falcons that have the correct type of binding. It's a real sticking point for me, especially at CS pricing.

5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I haven't but also expect to order a custom in the next couple years.

6. gretscher09

gretscher09 Electromatic

Apr 18, 2009
    USA
    YES!, I would love a Falcon with a Setzer V-neck and 9 1/2" radius.
    Curious why you would prefer the frets on top of the neck binding?

7. JAP09

JAP09 Electromatic

Nov 12, 2019
    Atlanta, Ga
    I’m not sure what his reasoning is, but I refretted my penguin to have fret over binding because comfort and playability is so much better. That high e constantly running off the end of the fret was a huge pain for me.

cvr31 likes this.
  8. cvr31

cvr31 Gretschie

Because I prefer the feel of the bare fret ends, and because the "nibs" covering the ends of the frets feel weird to me. And I also believe that frets on top of the binding makes the guitar more playable to me, and it also makes the refretting process (in the long run hopefully) much much easier. I also think that frets on top of the binding just looks neater.

I think the way the Japanese Gretsch Pro-Line guitars are fretted is absolutely perfect, with the fret sitting on top of the binding and extending to the edge of the fretboard, and perfectly dressed and polished.

new6659 and JAP09 like this.
  9. cvr31

cvr31 Gretschie

What is the difference between the two? I'm not too worried about totally vintage correct binding material if the modern bindings look good and hold up as well. Totally vintage correct isn't the biggest requirement for me for having this guitar built. Rather I'm looking at the Custom Shop just to be able to get a configuration that I can't get through a regular Pro-Line guitar.

10. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Understand. In person the differences really stick out. Vintage has a thick clear layer over the gold sparkle layer. Optics take over from there.

You'll have to look at images for both, and decide if it makes any difference to you.

Best to you on your quest.

cvr31 likes this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Best with your Custom Shop journey @cvr31 . I'm sure it'll all work out

12. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    There is nothing like a custom instrument. Talk it out with the Custom Shop and go for it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.