Custom Order - what would you order ?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by thunder58, May 7, 2015.

1. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Goodness, that's beautiful...

2. GretschSwing

GretschSwing Country Gent

Jan 27, 2014
    Howell, MI
    I've had a Country Club with Dynas for years and just got a 6120EC -- love both. A combination of features from each would be my dream Gretsch:

The CC's 25.5 scale length and 17" body width and the EC's P-90-Dyna combo, Bigsby, Western Maple Stain and western appointments.

The only thing I'd add would be the '59 Gent's 1.75 nut width.

3. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    i'm boring, a Duffy white Falcon with dynasonics instead of blacktops, and a non kickstand bigsby arm, the silver binding/hardware would not wear down like the gold.
    (the duffy in my avatar is a friends)

4. dinks

dinks Country Gent

Dec 18, 2014
    Kansas
    This an interesting thread. I love the posts that have everything planned from top to bottom. Perhaps it's due to lack of experience, but I don't trust myself to know exactly what I want. I like being surprised by instruments and take inspiration for each individual instrument. I'm rarely after one particular tone, but I love discovering new sounds and styles held within a particular instrument. So even with no limits of budget, etc. I'm not sure I'd ever buy a custom built guitar - at least not one built to my specs.

5. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    It would be a black penguin with either classic, classic+ set or a set of setzers. 9.5" fb radius. Bigsby, all nickel hardware not hold. Strap locks, true arc bridge, thumbnail inlays, silver sparkle binding, red jeweled position markers and nobs.

6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  7. jacodiego

jacodiego Gretschie

Mar 24, 2011
    california
    This would be pretty close to it, but I would like the gold binding to be more like it was on the original late '50s Falcons.

Attached Files:

8. joe007

joe007 Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2013
    ny
    A natural or walnut finish Panther.

9. iowa

iowa Gretschie

Jun 3, 2008
    corn country
    I would be very happy with basically the current limited edition cadillac green 6120. I would change it to laquer paint, change the f holes to cat eyes and replace the p'ups with a tv jones classic + in the bridge and a cream charlie christian in the neck. Might also have a second pick guard made with "the goal is soul"

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  10. birdofprey

birdofprey Gretschie

Jul 27, 2012
    Portland, OR
    16" x 2.5" ML braced body, V neck 12" radius, thumbnails, falcon headstock w/ vertical logo, flame maple body and neck, translucent white (like TV white) lacquer, nickel hardware, silver sparkle binding, black pickguard with my initials in white ala TK Smith, powertron pickups with coil tap POTS so I could dial the second coils in and out to taste

It's perfect.

11. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, the late 50's stereo Falcon. Tried tracking one down for 20+ years with no success.

And I agree 100% with you on the binding. Even a present day Custom Shop Falcon won't have the same binding as the vintage ones, and there is a major difference between the two styles.

The Custom Shop can create anything......................but not the correct Falcon binding.

12. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    Flaming Phoenix:
    - Vintage Orange stain over figured maple like they did in 1960; lacquer finish
    - long scale, slight V shaped neck
    - 9.45" radius ebony fretboard w/thumbnails
    - 6120 body size
    - jumbo frets
    - trestle bracing
    - TV Jones Setzer Signature neck pickup/Classic Plus bridge pickup
    - Hot Rod wiring
    - Faber bridge
    - ivory binding
    - V headstock w/vertical Gretsch logo

13. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Double Florentine cutaway Junior with 14" lower bout, solid carved quilt maple top & back with minimal internal bracing and cats-eye soundholes, ebony fretboard with block inlays, TVJ Supertron pickups, Bigsby B3G, Grover Imperial tuners. Super simple wiring, volume, tone, pickup selector switch.

I couldn't wait for the Custom shop and wasn't sure whether they would do a double Florentine, so I had it made by Hyde Baker at Bluebelly Guitars in Vermont.

Attached Files:

14. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Toss up between a Spectra Sonic, or a Panther platform... so just assume I mean both or what you'd prefer. Either or neither will ever happen :)

I want to make it a 3 pup model. A Setzer Sig or a classic plus in the bridge. Then in the neck and middle position, a set of T-Armond's in RW/RP. The pickups will be set up on a six way rotary selector.

Settings would be bridge, bridge and middle together out of phase, middle alone, middle and neck together hum canceling, middle and bridge in phase, and neck alone. running to a master volume, bass roll-off, and master tone knobs and a cut-off.

Probably just make it black with blue binding and sperzel locking tuners.

15. organic

organic Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2011
    Worcester UK
    Just the sort of finish I had in mind. Guess if I ever get my custom made I could buy that book and take it to the maker.

16. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Funny It doesn't look finished at all. To me it looks like it was a sunburst at some point, and the finish fell off... Incidently i also think the dried out fretboard is a digrace.

17. Drock2k1

Drock2k1 Synchromatic

Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    No worries at all man, great thread.

18. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Thank you brother

19. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    A while back someone posted a beautiful old blonde Country Club on here asking about value. Id have em make one of those.

20. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It may look that way, but I think from design rather than neglect. The first couple pages of that book is a paean to guitars so I doubt they would put a neglected guitar on the cover.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.