Custom behind-the-bridge string dampener?

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
Anyone know of anywhere that makes these? @Dave-B ?

I want a string dampener for behind the bridge and while the little rubber guys work fine, I’d prefer something a bit more pleasing aesthetically.........

8499255F-0AF2-494C-90D8-972990730E6B.jpeg

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Some one here had a piece of aluminum with some etching and he used Velcro to hold it on. Looked great. I use leather.

Last edited:

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Surely this company has something that will work for you...

proxy.jpg

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I've used grommets on mandolins for well over 20 years, and it's pretty much a common practice in the mando world. I simply adapted it to guitars with trapeze or Bigsby tailpieces several years back... in fact, I'm pretty sure that I'm the one that brought it to this forum (inadvertently) way back in 2008-2009, when I posted pics of some of my guitars and somebody asked, "What the heck are those things behind the bridge?"

Of course, it's not an ideal solution, since you need to carry extras in case you break a string, because the grommet will sure as heck go flying off into parts unknown. Others don't care much for the aesthetics of the grommets...but it's cheap, effective, and they just work for me.

Find what works for you!

Last edited:

somebodyelseuk

Country Gent
Jan 22, 2013
Birmingham, UK
Anyone know of anywhere that makes these? @Dave-B ?

I want a string dampener for behind the bridge and while the little rubber guys work fine, I’d prefer something a bit more pleasing aesthetically.........

Most car spares stores. They're just rubber bulkhead grommets.

People look for similar 'solutions' for Jazzmasters, Jaguars and other similarly 'stricken' guitars, but for me, it's part of the character of the guitar, so I don't 'fret' over it. Same with three saddle Teles - there's ways to set them up that negate the intonation stuff.