Crazy, selling an amp in today’s climate

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Jun 27, 2020.

1. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I've bought and sold a few things lately on Kijiji. I sold a DSL15 head from the front porch, set it up with one of my cabs and a patch cord, and the buyer brought his own guitar. Sold an unloaded 212 cab yesterday, also off the front porch. Sold a book on tube amp design from the window of my car in a liquor store parking lot. Bought a Mesa F50 the seller had set up on his back deck for me to test drive. Buying and selling with masks and 2m spacing is possible!

radd and mrfixitmi like this.
  2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    My best was the guy who wanted to trade me 3 plywood BC Rich's & a set of used drill bits for a 2003 6120-SSL...

Definitely a big time waster, Craigslist is. You might sell some stuff/buy some stuff, but it's a PITA much more often than its not.

Merc and mrfixitmi like this.
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

The thing is, the buyers are targets more often than the sellers. The buyers have cash.

wabash slim likes this.
  4. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I’m on a selling roll, two guitars and an amp in three days :D

The amp, and the guitar today, both on Craigslist sold in less than 24 hrs. Both adds prompted easily spotted scammer replies and the ads resulted in me meeting two very nice guys who paid in full, no haggling.

mrfixitmi and CaliforniaSlim like this.
  5. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Funny, that same my-dignity-for-$5 guy tried to buy my subwoofer. Setting the price so that an ATM can dispense the exact amount doesn’t work, apparently. Switching to Paypal/Zelle reduces the odds of a “miscounting” problem and avoids awkward “making change” scenarios. Lots of other benefits, too.

Did he want you to drop it off “the next time you’re in his neighborhood”, so as not to inconvenience you?

Most CL negotiating tactics seem silly and non persuasive, but either they work often enough to encourage buyers to keep trying, or buyers are telling the same tall tales our dads did about talking the car dealer down.

6. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    I've given up on Craigslist. Facebook Marketplace has been very good, and I like that you can see the prospective buyer's basic profile before responding, and vice versa. Then I always require a phone call before meeting up. I recently sold a PA on FB Marketplace and the deal was great. When the guy asked about it, I was able to see who he was and that he was from a pretty busy (not lately, of course) local band. I didn't know him, but I knew a couple of the other band members. He paid full price in cash, too. I buy and sell most smaller stuff on forums or Reverb.

Merc and mrfixitmi like this.
  7. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Electromatic

Feb 17, 2010
    St. Louis
    Just did a trade here locally. First time I have not shaken a guys hand at the end of the deal. We both had masks and set the gear on the parking lot for the other to grab. Weirdest thing ever.

Waxhead, radd and audept like this.
  8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Within the last two months we’ve sold eight items on FB Marketplace with ease. I really think it’s better for the reasons you pointed out too. A lot of people are likely using it over Craigslist because of the scammers and being able to view the profile for safety.

Andy Fortune likes this.
  9. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    As I wrote earlier I've bought two guitars off CL/FB and the 5129 seller was on both so I contacted him through FB because I could look at his profile first. Naturally I prefer that way.

But my first guitar buy through FB fell apart and I don't know why. Woman listed a baby blue Yamaha Pacifica with hard case for $110 new never played. One pic that looked OK. I contacted her, said I'd like to meet in a safe spot and she said OK but we'll have to wait for the weekend.
    Meanwhile, another same-model Pacifica, this one red, showed up under her name with basically the exact same pic. Same price, same new never played, weird. Could have been the same pic with color changed in Photoshop.
    It had already been a few days so I contacted her again and said I'd prefer the red one and she said OK but I'm busy at work and can't meet yet.
    She put me off for about two weeks before I gave up. I don't know what happened but something was fishy and I never was confident that she wasn't a rip-off even though I'd think it's not worth jail time for $110.
    There are some fake profiles on FB but they should be easy to spot. Hers looked fairly normal, maybe she was just a flake.

10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    We left a futon out front saying "free, needs cleaning". People knock on the door and ask if it is available. It is sitting there, says free, what do you think?

Then a lady will come by and say "oh, I would like that, but I am not sure how I could get it home by myself . . ." Looks at me expectantly, so I respond, " I don't know either, I guess you won't be able to take it then."

If it's this much hassle to give things away, no wonder I hate selling stuff.

Randy99CL likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I responded to a local ad for aBoss Katana. Cheapest I've seen anywhere. 0 Feedback seller.
    We all gotta start somewhere, so I send a mail I was in the neighbourhood, could I pick it up in person?
    I received a reply to leave my full name, Address, whatsup number, and bank number and they would get back to me.
    I imagine it's hard to find honest work if you're that stupid. :)

12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    if you had left it on the curb with a sign, for sale $20, it would have disappeared that night.....

Henry likes this.
  13. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    A friend put a dead lawn mower on the curb for trash day collection. Someone took it that night. He figured it was a picker and that person would probably rebuild it it with an engine salvaged from another move. Nope. A couple of days later it turned back up on his curb. He was not happy.

14. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Best not to bother with a sign. If they get the idea that they’re actually doing you a favor, they’ll try to leverage it.

Henry likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Our neighborhood is depressingly honest. I am considering a different sign next time "FREE if you just take it; $50 if you talk to us."

dougmon and radd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.