Crazy, selling an amp in today’s climate

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Jun 27, 2020.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I had an amp to sell a few months ago but decided to wait until the COVID thing died down. Well, it didn’t die down, so I advertised on Craigslist with the following conditions

amp will be tested in the driveway
    Social distancing will be required
    Masks are mandatory
    Bring your own guitar and cable
    Cash only

After the obligatory Craigslist scam response, that I of course deleted, a very nice semi local guy responded. He even used to be a lacquer finisher at Santa Cruz Guitars just down the hill from me.

He had no problem with the set up. I enjoyed his visit. He laughed and gave me a $5.00 tip. My price was $675 and he only had 20’s.

crazy time we live in

2. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Nice. I got lucky yesterday and did a meet and buy, felt weird trusting him everything functioned correctly but he seemed trustworthy!

radd and Randy99CL like this.
  3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I've been trying to sell a Marshall TSL 601 combo for a few months. The problem has been that it's a heavy amp and shipping it puts it in a bad price range. I know what they have been selling for on Ebay & Reverb but I'm trying to sell it locally on Craig's list to avoid shipping. Great sounding amp and I'm not giving it away and I'm really in no hurry to sell it. Like everything else that I've sold I know eventually the buyer will come along who really loves and wants the amp and is willing to pay a fair price. The virus has made it difficult to sell anything lately but give it time.

YouFellowRebels and radd like this.
  4. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Yep. You can pretty much count on deleting that first reply, which typically includes the boilerplate “is this your final price and are you the original owner” questions followed by “I work late and don’t check email so send me your contact information.” I’ve had decent luck using CL, but I only accept PayPal or Zelle now. Had one buyer drive six hours to pick up the guitar. Wore a mask and used gloves.

5. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Since the virus hit I've bought two guitars off CL.
    My first message says "I am a real person, I want to buy your guitar and am not wasting your time, I have cash."

Both sellers thanked me for that initial message. We met in busy parking lots, wore masks, stayed 6+ feet away as they laid the guitars (in gig bags) on my car hood and stepped back.
    The first seller was a very nice woman close to my age, the second was a Captain in the Air Force so both seemed trustworthy. When I plugged the guitars in at home they functioned perfectly. If I planned to buy more that way I'd probably invest in a cheap battery amp.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    if this was before COVID that would be a thief :eek:

7. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Battery amp is a good idea! I haven’t thought of that even. Have two lying around.

Randy99CL likes this.
  8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I have a couple more guitars to move, the battery amp idea is clever. I have a stunning Yamaha THR10C that also runs on batteries, I may use that.

Randy99CL likes this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    What?!?! You didn't want to trade for an alligator and a broken moped? Lowballers and scam artists abound. Then, they are angry that you won't take their offers. SMFH

Sid Nitzerglobin, radd and Randy99CL like this.
  10. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    If you have Facebook, try their Marketplace. My wife has had all sorts of success selling locally on it. I’m serious. The younger generation likely uses it more than Craigslist. GLWTS.

Randy99CL likes this.
  11. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I sold a bunch of PA gear to a bunch of different people via Craigslist during the early days of social distancing. We all agreed to wear masks and keep our distance, and it all worked out well.

I have an amp on Craigslist now and so far today I’ve received one scam email about my “eBay item,” one lowball bid who said he’ll come over tomorrow and pick it up (what a guy!) earlier in the day and another one later asking why I hadn’t responded to his offer and was I going to accep my his offer, and I need to let him know right away, and finally, an email from someone claiming “your amp has too many tubes to be a Bassman circuit.” Well that’s an unusual opening statement at the beginning of a negotiating session. I responded that no extra tubes had slipped into the amp since I bought it, so it was probably safe.

radd and Randy99CL like this.
  12. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Yeah, CL is like the wild west; you can buy anything, anything goes and you can't trust anyone. A lot of sellers here list guitars as Fender when they are Squiers, happens all the time. It catches your eye, Fender Guitar $150, nothing to clear it up in the description but Squier on the headstock in the pics.

I'm amazed by the number of people who put $2K and up guitars on CL. I guess it must work for some but as a buyer I wouldn't feel confident in paying anywhere near that much for a guitar from a nameless someone you meet in a parking lot. And I wouldn't be in that parking lot with $2000 cash in my pocket anyway, LOL!

About the only guitar I still have on my "want list" is a MIM Fender Tele. They're usually $700 new and right now there is a 2019 blue one on CL for $450 that looks new in the pics. But my problem is that I couldn't tell if that was a Squier body with MIM neck or a Fender guitar with $30 import pickups; I don't have that level of knowledge.

Have any of you ever whipped out a screwdriver and asked "hey can you give me 15 minutes to tear your guitar apart"??

new6659, Merc and thunder58 like this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    When I sell something on CraigsList , I always have the buyer meet me at the P.D. where I work . In the parking lot , in view of the dispatchers camera , during my shift so I'm in uniform .....hey , it's New York ;)

new6659, Jeff67, Merc and 1 other person like this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Glad it all worked out @radd . My CraigsList experience's are generally hit or miss :

Hit :
    Always a good thing when I buy something . Sure I haggle , but I bring the exact money with me when we agree on the price . Always leaving off with a smile and a handshake

Miss :
    I had an extra guitar case once ( of coarse ...lol ) and sold it on CL . Everything was going well . Spoke to the gentleman twice on the phone and twice he told me it was a great price and he offered me full amount " no problem " . I wanted $80 . Guy show's up and says " geez I'm sorry , all I have with me is $75 " ...
    ( note my above post too )

radd likes this.
  15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    A vew months ago I bought an amp from a shop in Italy.
    They told me that they are closed due corona but still shipping instruments and gear.
    The lock-down obviously forced them to offer their stuff for such a low price that I could not believe it.
    I paid via Paypal so I did not have to fear that I could possibly be scammed.
    They warned me that the shipping could take much longer than in normal times.
    I was surprised that the amp arrived just a week after I ordered it.
    (Wiped it with a hygiene-pad after arrival.)
    So the only impact that the lockdown had on this deal was an economical one.
    Although I felt sorry for the shop which had to sell a brandnew amp for less than a third of the usual street-price I was very happy that I got a high-end amp that I would financially never been able to buy in normal times.

radd and Merc like this.
  16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I was selling a $1600 mixing board on Craig's list for $400. It was in very good shape but I just had too many of them from my sound business. One text message made me mad when he wrote "Can I pick up your Soundcraft mixer for $200 tomorrow?" so I wrote back "You can come by and pick it up as many times as you want to but if you want to buy it it's still $400"....:D. I sold it a few days later for $425 but not to him...:).

Groutsch and radd like this.
  17. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    What's with people wanting to send Google voice codes and you respond to them using the code? People asking if you are real?
    I give my phone number to call me - tell them no texting and they still do it. If they can't call me back I don't reply.

radd likes this.
  18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I sell on Craigslist, guitars, bicycles, motorcycles, cars, etc. I have been pretty successful. The idiots and scammers are really pretty easy to spot.

As for buying, I prefer Reverb For guitars. I have been very happy with my reverb purchases.

pmac11 likes this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Nearby, in the big city, people have been killed over Craigslist deals. Getting mugged or shot while selling a cell phone is insane. Do your deals in the Fire or Police Station parking lot---anywhere with lots of people and lights and cameras.

Bring armed backup. Masks have become good AND bad.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  20. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    I have had a lot of success from buying on this forum. Never been scammed, we tend to look out for each other.
    Craigslist, similar stories, people appear to be excited and agree to a price, and either they never show up, or show up with half the amount of agreed price. I tend to understate the condition so that there are no disappointments. I attribute it to a majority of people looking for something for free, or to make a quick buck to flip it.

We have had people shot or robbed from Craigslist deals, so now I tend to avoid using it. At the end of the day I would prefer to donate to some of the youth groups, churches, schools, or other underfunded musical programs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.