crackling sound from new 5420 UPDATE

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by JLILL, Jul 21, 2021.

1. JLILL

JLILL Electromatic

Jun 5, 2021
    Florida
    Just received my new 5420t from Sweetwater. It has a frequent crackling noise through amp when playing. I’ve tried two amps,two cords and made sure the jack was tight. Beautiful guitar so i really don’t want to send back but i don’t know what else i can do unless any of you have any ideas.

Thanks
    Jim

2. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Hi jim
    Electromatics can have cheap pots in them, might be what you're hearing..
    Can you turn all the knobs and isolate which may be making the crackling sound?
    Might just need a little contact cleaner...

ZackyDog likes this.
  3. JLILL

JLILL Electromatic

Jun 5, 2021
    Florida
    Good suggestion thanks. I tried them all and the pickup switch. Can’t find any rhyme or reason to it. Although it seems to be diminishing a little. Beautiful guitar and it sounds great when it’s not crackling

GlenP likes this.
  4. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I would spray some contact cleaner in the pick up selector. Little strange for a new guitar but at least for older ones that seems to be the first one needing cleaning.

GlenP likes this.
  5. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I almost wonder if something metal is touching something, like a loose wire end or a big bit of solder, or even a little nick in a wire's insulation.
    Does it do it if, say, you hold the guitar on your lap, or maybe even upside down, and give it a little shake??

It could be a vary small blob of solder fell into a pot as well. Since this is happening no matter the pickup chosen I think it would mean something with the Master, the jack, the switch or the tone pot. These are the ones always in use when plugged in.

6. JLILL

JLILL Electromatic

Jun 5, 2021
    Florida
    Ok kinda of bizarre but when I come in contact with the pick guard it crackles through the amp. If i rub my hand around on it it crackles non stop. Also rubbing my finger across the high e pole piece will do it but not as consistently. Sweetwater said they will fix or replace it but i’d Rather not go through the hassle or go with out it. Any ideas?

7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Sounds like a shielding issue. Take a dryer sheet and rub it on the pickguard. If it no longer crackles it is a shielding issue. It could be as simple as it was on my 5420 when one of the wires, that must not have been grounded well, was rubbing on the underside of the top. I just reached into the F hole and pushed it down away from the top and it was fine.

Use a small mirror and light to inspect in there. You can remove the pickguard for better access. Remove it via the body screws but be gentle putting them back in. The side body screws strip easily....

Good luck

9. JLILL

JLILL Electromatic

Jun 5, 2021
    Florida
    Well the pick guard was touching the pickups evidently causing static electricity. I loosened it up and was able to get it just a hair clear of the pickups and it seems fine. Do you think there is still something that needs addressed though?

10. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    So the crackle went away then?

11. JLILL

JLILL Electromatic

Jun 5, 2021
    Florida
    Yes as long as the pick guard isn’t touching pickups.

KreepyTeach likes this.
  12. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Sounds like you just found your excuse to remove the pickguard.

-m

Robbie, rcboals, GlenP and 1 other person like this.
  13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Does it crackle when you touch the pickups?

14. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    The tone knob on my 2622T was a little scratchy at first, I played the scratchiness out of her. Sitting in a slow boat will cause some oxidation on the contacts.

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's just your basic, every day, run of the mill, garden variety static. It's due to your electrifying personality. Keeping the guard away from the pickups, and use the drier sheets will help. The other alternatives are to ground the pick guard somehow, or just remove it.

Robbie likes this.
  16. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    My electromatic jet did the same thing, drove me crazy, though a tube was dying, crackled like a frying pan as notes would die out. Even took my amp to my amp guy…Took off pickguard, problem solved! Guard is still in a case to tgis day 634AA0E1-ABA7-4625-BEE3-2A35C6AF9D6D.jpeg

17. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Not sure why, but it sounds like it's your pickups more than it is the pick guard? Can you send some good photos.

18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Yup, the pickguard in not the cause of the problem, just the symptom. On more than one guitar I have covered the back of the pickguard worth copper foil.

At this point it sounds pretty clear that it is a ground issue. If the static is completely gone since moving the pickguard, and there is none when you touch the body then I would not worry about it at this point. You have I think 45 days to return it if you bought from Sweetwater.

One thing to consider, where you play. Try a different room, different wall plug, a room without carpet.

MentalTossFlycoon likes this.
  19. JLILL

JLILL Electromatic

Jun 5, 2021
    Florida

After the guitar sits for several minutes it will make a popping sound when I touch the strings. It also makes a lighter crackling sound if I run my finger over the face (black part) of the pickups. Worse on the bridge pickup. Sure seems like a ground issue. Seems like it might be best to send back and see if Sweetwater can fix it.

mr coffee likes this.
  20. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Send it back, it will cost you nothing in shipping, Sweetwater covers that and then they will send you a new one, not repair the one you have. I have done just that with Sweetwater with a defective Gretsch Jet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.