Covering up guitar playing mistakes!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by The Box, Sep 13, 2020.

1. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    If you can hear your mistakes you probably need more fuzz. :)

SAguitar and The Box like this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  3. I enjoyed it. I tend to make a face when i hit a wrong note or run. I know I did it, and the face confesses. Sometimes I even shout , usually nothing I would repeat here. My wife doesnt catch all these wrong notes i play. To me i can clearly here it. To others it may just be they are listening as a whole to every thing, where as i am focused on the task at hand, which is butchering up the solo.

The Box likes this.
  4. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Just say you're imitating Roy Clark's facial expressions!

Gregor, GlenP and The Box like this.
  5. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Many years ago my jug band had a gig for a pretty large audience. My song came up and I had a lead solo, which I had played a hundred times, but couldn’t find it just then. After about three attempts and total failures, I gave up, and our jug player came in and huffed it perfectly. The audience loved it. That was the nicest mistake coverup ever.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  6. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    LivingMyDream, audept and The Box like this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  8. I think i need to be able to play like him before i make the face.

LivingMyDream and MrWookiee like this.
  9. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

10. sleeperNY

sleeperNY Gretschie

Jun 18, 2008
    central NY
    I was playing a big bluegrass festival, we were the country band that opened it up on Friday night. We were going right along and all was well and then for some reason I totally hit the wrong not. It just jumped right out. I just turned around and looked at my amp like it did it all by itself. Some of the people up close that saw it just started to laugh. It all worked out well. LOL. As the rears go by I have gotten good at not making mistakes and covering them up, some times they just get away from you. I don't worry about them any more. Life is to short.

Jim

The Box likes this.
  11. kpnash

kpnash Electromatic

As some other folks suggested, just repeat your mistakes so that those are not mistakes anymore. If done in a clever way, notes which were wrong for one chord, might fit for another.

Some further advice. I think this one actually might be from Miles Davis... If you play a wrong note, just keep staying on it until the chord progression changes in a way this is not a wrong note anymore.

Finally, just make some show. Not just 'more mess' but a show. I remember once (long before COVID-19 times, yeah.....) we played a gig with a substitute drummer, and there was a song with abrupt ending... Of course we forgot to tell him. In such case we would just continue playing, maybe one or two more verses coming to some standard ending. However before we even realised, he started playing a hot explosive drum solo, kept playing for some 30-40 secs and ended on his own. He got a LOT of appreciation from the crowd. I will never forget that moment.

The Box likes this.
  12. goodguy2k2k

goodguy2k2k Electromatic

Mar 16, 2016
    Michigan
    Same as a fart ... blame it on someone else (why every band needs 2 guitar players). Joe Walsh never hit a wrong note.

The Box likes this.
  13. DasherF

DasherF Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    Just came in on this thread...yeah I think I have all of your experiences and views covered...
    Don't get me started on forgetting the words...

The Box likes this.
  14. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    That is some nice advice and good examples.
    However, it only applies to hitting the wrong note(s) scenario.

When your mistakes become very hard to cover, to the point they can ruin an entire song or solo, is:
    - when you lose track of the rhythm, especially when playing funk;
    - when you make a big "clam", as when you "fret out" the note (which often happens with sticky/sweaty fingers).

Those mistakes I'm still trying to deal with when playing live. As you say in the video, being cool about it may be the only way to go.

The Box likes this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've seen Roy Clark live, and on TV many times. He would often make a noticeable flub, and just keep going. Making a mistake, for someone of his skill, just told me that he was playing to the utmost of his ability, pushing the envelope, as it were, giving you his best effort at all times.

One of the worst, most painful flubs I know of, is in the end of Clapton's "Layla". Duane Allman, playing slide guitar, makes the most horrid slide note known to modern man, even painful in it's off tune-ness. I'd heard it was attributed to drugs.

Then, there are bagpipes, that, when played properly, will sound off key. Go Figure.

MrWookiee, The Box and Sonny Strimple like this.
  16. Novelwriter333

Novelwriter333 Electromatic

May 4, 2015
    Houston, Texas USA
    Wow! From the original posting to the replies, this was perhaps the best posting I've seen here. Long ago, an experienced player also told me to repeat the mistake so it sounds like you did it on purpose. Sometimes it works when playing live. But when recording, the mistake is there and will never go away unless you do it over.

The Box likes this.
  17. The Box

The Box Gretschie

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    Rhythmic mistakes are not just mistakes. They are disasters! But if i had one i would blame the drummer :))))

EsquireBoy likes this.
  18. The Box

The Box Gretschie

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    I am learning from you guys. This is great. I am happy to start a post so that we can share our experiences. And thank you.

19. Strummer George

Strummer George Gretschie

Dec 31, 2016
    West Coast
    Lots of good ideas as to what to do so here's a few things not to do. Don't say "oops", roll your eyes, smirk, grimace, look sideways, replay the screwed up part correctly etc.

The Box likes this.
  20. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    ...and especially, do not throw a tantrum!

The Box likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.