could you get a strat-like tone out of a filtertron and/or dynasonic?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Dirtyblues, Mar 3, 2021.

1. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    I'm just asking for a friend! :confused::rolleyes:

2. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I was actually thinking this the other day as I don't have a strat but do have dynas but did think it would've been a no.
    I'm not a big fan of strats but their sound can be fantastic in good hands (not mine).

Scott likes this.
  3. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I think you wont do it easily. Trons and Dyna's are pretty different sounding pups than Strat SC's. If you are going to get somewhere in the ballpark I think the Dyna is your best bet.

Duo Slinger and Chmason85 like this.
  4. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I feel like HiLo’trons would probably get the closest. I’ve had two dyna guitars, one stock dynas and one with T-Armonds and they’re just way too punchy, not smooth like a strat. The bridge pickups can get there fairly easy but if it’s that glassy neck tone then it’s tough.

Henry likes this.
  5. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    Chmason85 likes this.
  6. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Electromatic

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    I’d say it depends on what you meant as bright and sterol strats sound like no. As that classic three pickup sounds then possibly if you had a three pickup model and wired for five positions. But please don’t ruin a good Gretsch, it’s worse enough fender has marketing rights for Gretsch

7. JaredmacNeil90

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    I like high lo trons

Chmason85 likes this.
  8. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    HiLo’s are great with a lot of gain because they remain clear, like a strat. I really want that green anniversary reissue with HiLo’s. I believe TV Jones said they are his favorite pickups through a Marshall.

JaredmacNeil90 and Henry like this.
  9. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    Actually not sure if i remember correctly but didnt someone say a splitted tv jones magnatron Sound stratty?
    Either way i wanna try some in the future

Henry and Chmason85 like this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    A Filtertron wired in parallel maybe, possibly, but not exactly.
    Thin, noticable drop in volume. If that is your Strat sound, than yes.

Any ol 4K Filtertron won’t work, only a hot or high powered Filtertron.

11. Howitt

Howitt Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Huntington Station, NY
    So the question is: Could you get a Strat-like tone out of a Filtertron and/or a Dynasonic?

Talk is cheap, but don't forget there are several model Dynasonics.......here's one in the neck pickup position:

So? Whatta ya think?

Regards,
    Howard Emerson

GretschPraise and swivel like this.
  12. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Eh, not really.

13. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Nice playing, I enjoyed that quite a bit.

Does it sound like a Strat? There are a lot of atypical Strats out there and this would be in that category for me.

14. Mark 6120

Mark 6120 Electromatic

Nov 5, 2020
    DFW
    Regarding getting strat tones with HiLo Trons, they have a very different sound as well. The neck position is muddier than a strat, thought that may be the hollow body of my Tennessean. The bridge pickup is just different.

Once, in a music store, I heard someone playing Hendrix with an Epiphone Les Paul through a Crate amp - and nailed the strat neck pickup tone. It can be done.

15. JaredmacNeil90

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    If I get another semi I’d easily try the hi-lo trons. I played an electromatic with Gretschs hi-lo trons and I was honestly amazed with them

Chmason85 likes this.
  16. Howitt

Howitt Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Huntington Station, NY
    It's merely a Strat shaped body with a foreign substance smeared all over it:)

I don't believe I have EVER listened to any music I enjoy, and thought "What pickup/guitar/amp is that guy using??" I got over that romantic nonsense when I was about 15 years old and took a bus to the local Sam Ash to try a Mosrite, the 'choice' of Nokie Edwards, who was my original guitar hero!

Anyway.......after playing it for about 10 minutes I thought to myself "What the hell is with this neck?? It's non-existant!!!"

It was at that point that I realized it's the player.

Anyway......thanks.

HE

Chmason85 likes this.
  17. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I agree, none of this stuff really makes any difference. I’ve seen many guitar players I really like play wildly different guitars and their sound is always their sound. It’s in the player.
    Setzer sounds like setzer even when he’s playing a weird super strat guitar. Rev. Horton Heat sounds just like himself playing a tele or jazzmaster. East bay ray from the Dead Kennedys, who used to use fender style guitars, now uses modern Schecters with a short scale and humbuckers and still sounds exactly the same.

18. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    That sounds very nice. But not that Stratty if you ask me. Of course differences between pickups can be very subtle. Is that neck pickup mounted under the guard and far away from the strings?

19. Howitt

Howitt Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Huntington Station, NY
    The bobbins are under the guard, but the poles are “normal” distance from the strings. They’re strong magnet pole pieces, so further away is better. The bridge pickup is merely meh sounding.

Howard

swivel likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.