could you get a strat-like tone out of a filtertron and/or dynasonic?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Dirtyblues, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Dirtyblues

Dirtyblues Electromatic

Jan 27, 2021
    Netherlands
    asking for a friend who wants a electromatic

2. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Easy answer.

Nope.

lathoto, emitex, Shadowy_Man and 2 others like this.
  3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Agree. Nope.

Randy99CL likes this.
  4. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    There are plenty of cheap used Squiers around. Easier and cheaper to just buy one of them.
    Nothing sounds like a Strat but a Strat.

adauria and ZackyDog like this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    OK let's set aside the purist answers and try a practical one.

What do you mean by "like"? For the in between quack sound, 2 low output pickups near each other will work. The 5622v1 with 3 super hilotrons (low output double coils) gave a strat "like" tone.

I bet a 3-pikup gretshc with TVJ Hilotrons would get you in the ball park.

unfortunately, gretsch doesn't make any 3 pickup guitars except the custom shop.

Don't get a strat. They're funny looking and funnily obscenely common for such a funny looking guitar (I am kinda just trolling now).

There are plenty of non strats out there that sound like strats (Ernie Ball Albert Lee for one). Focus more on what makes the strat sound rather than the strat name.

AllenK and hcsterg like this.
  6. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

He’s not even talking about guitars, just pickups. A Filter will NEVER sound like a Strat, and neither will a Dyna(too bold). Strats are smooth and clear. Except on the bridge where smooth goes away and ALL you have is “clear”. Lol

nickurso and Henry like this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Super hilotrons in the original 5622 electomatic will get you in the ball park imo. they are not "filtertrons" but I think practically, looking at the history of hilotrons (hilotrons were kinda single coil versions of hilotrons; super hiltrons added back a coil), they are basically filtertron derivatives, arguably closer than blacktops.

hcsterg likes this.
  8. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Dunno Henry. I have a 5622 with Super HiLos and while I think it sounds great, it sounds nothing like my Strats. I have had regular HiLos too, and while they were a true single coil they sound little like a Strat pickup. Neither do Dynas or DeArmonds but all of them sound good - just not like a Strat. They don't sound like Teles or P90s either. LOL

Henry likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It all depends on how much "like" a strat they're looking for. Of course they're all different. Heck, there are hundreds or thousands of "strat" pickups out there.

My post was really only about getting the strat quack sound. For single pickups, I think there is too much variety in strat pickups.

I think wanting something that is strat like is different for someone who doesn't want to own a strat, and someone who owns several strats. For the former (like me), the 5622v1 is the closest for a Gretsch imo.

I have a much different perspective than you on tone achievement. I don't swap multiple speakers, etc.

And whether you are a pro or hobbyist makes a difference.

If getting a strat like sound is more important than getting a strat, then I would get a strat copy like a suhr or something.

My guess is op is asking for a hobbyist who owns few guitars.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    j.s.c, Tony65x55 and hcsterg like this.
  10. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ve owned a couple of Strats and have come to the opinion that Strats are a breed of their own. The in-between sound is darned hard to emulate.

I think that the pickups are only part of the equation. The vibrato tailpiece is unique and gives the bridge a very small contact area with the mass of the guitar’s body, but also has some mass in the form of a block attached to the floating bridge/tailpiece. It’s an ingenious design, and I think it contributes greatly to the timbral character of the instrument.

I’m of the opinion that if you want to sound like a Strat, you gotta buy a Strat.

11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Here's a thread from the gretsch pages, @Dirtyblues, see post from Proteus (he is the guy that makes Tru Arc bridges)

http://gretschpages.com/forum/modern-gretsch-guitars/gretsch-with-three-pickups/67211/page1/

Partial quote:

"In truth, any solidbody with three pickups sounds Stratty. (Even with P90s...maybe not so much with 'buckers, but that's an abomination anyway.)

But on anything hollow, the tone fattens up enough to remind you of a Strat - but not be a Strat."

Which is what I was trying to get at if by stratty you mean the in between quack sound.

Tony65x55, hcsterg and Dirtyblues like this.
  12. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I've just built a hardtail strat using some pickups I previously had in a body with a floating trem, and it sounds much the same. It's much easier for string bends, and stays in tune like a telecaster, which is a win in my book.

Tony65x55 likes this.
  13. Dirtyblues

Dirtyblues Electromatic

Jan 27, 2021
    Netherlands
    yeah this is what I thought, he was bugging me but I think he is gonna go with a strat now thanks guys

Henry and Tony65x55 like this.
  14. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I can't understand why anybody could make a Gretsch sound so bad

hcsterg likes this.
  15. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    It doesn't exist (yet :) ) but how about a Corvette with 3 Hi Lo trons? Probably not exactly the same, but it could get close.
    I bet Jack White would like that. ;)

16. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Having a G5622TLH (see avatar), I'll second @Henry - about the qwack / in-between strat tones :

- The G5622T 3-PU guitar can offer you a strat-more-or-less-like tone, but not exactly the strat tone.

-
    That said, my 1994 US Standard Strat had a junky tone, not the strat tone. And it was a Strat. And an US one. Oh, I see the reason : it was a LH model... :D No way ! :(

- Any 3-PU guitar is able to duplicate more-or-less a strat tone. I'll pick some in my stack of guitars :

Between these two Harley-Benton Mustang-like, the upper one (Cyclone) is the more strat-tone-ey : she's fitted with 3 Squier Standard Strat pickups. The lower one (Tornado) has an ARTEC Lipstick AlNiCo high output pickup, flanked by two Gretsch BT FT : still strat-tone-ey, but less "Funky" than the upper one.

[​IMG]

I even have a pickguard version with one ARTEC Lipstick and two Gretsch Dynasonic, for fitting the Tornado (upper), but I felt that the Dynas were inexpicably deceptive... So I can't give a consitent opinion.

[​IMG]

These other ones below are all able to emulate near of far a strat-like tone : The two first ones are the best, the lower one is average, like my G5622TLH. PUs are ARTEC Lipstick and Gretsch HS FT.

[​IMG]

Please note the bridge PU to bridge relative position : further on the 2 1st ones, and closer on the lower one - this has certainly an importance in creating that Strat-ey tone. Look at my G5622TLH : the Bridge PU to bridge distance is also quite short...

[​IMG]

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

new6659 and j.s.c like this.
  17. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    You can't even make a Tele sound like a Strat!

new6659, Tele295, Chmason85 and 2 others like this.
  18. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Accurate!

Chmason85, SAguitar and Tony65x55 like this.
  19. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Ok, you can't.
    but filtertrons are the closest humbuckers to strat tones..

dynasonics would be violent thugs..

Tele295 likes this.
  20. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    DB,

Anything ''may'' be possible.

Strings, modeling amp, effects.

It's taking a long very wide corner to get next door.

I would suggest your ''friend'' visit a shop and try all the possibilities, tone is very personal.

I would suggest starting with Gretsch solid/chambered models fitted with Dyna's, may not be the easiest find...

Try a pro model for tone sampling, suggest a George Harrison Sig Duo Jet.

I have a GH duo Jet, but do not have a Strat for comparison.

BIB.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.