Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Could the 2017 Broadkaster G6659T be the guitar of the year?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Lawrie Minson, Apr 15, 2017.

1. TrampledUnderFoot

TrampledUnderFoot Electromatic

Apr 20, 2017
    PDX
    All of the marketing copy says Tim Shaw was involved, but it doesn't say it on the actual product page. :confused: I can't remember what it says in the manual off the top of my head.

Ex of ad copy: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G6609VDCS

Lawrie Minson and Ricochet like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Ah, thank you!

3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    looks great - how would you describe the new Fulltron pups as compared to other TVJ filtertrons?

I also see on the Wildwood site this Broadkaster is only 7 pounds with centre block fitted.
    This light weight makes it viable now for me cos I've found the other Gretsch CB models too heavy at around 9 pounds

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Lawrie Minson

Lawrie Minson Electromatic

Hi, I did my second gig last night using my new Broadkaster 6659. My 6118 JNR has TVs and I know them well. The first thing I noticed with the Full'Trons is how well balanced they are in the middle position. The neck PU is very similar to the TVJ. Some might find them bright with the A5 magnets but I like them. The bridge PU on the Broadkaster has A2s and I must say complements the neck PU really well. The bridge PU cuts like a Tele but obviously being a humbucker it is fatter. Usually I roll off a bit of the neck PU in the middle position but I found I wasn't doing this as much last night. These pickups are also hot so be ready to have the front end of your amp pushed!
    The response of the volume and tone controls are the best I've ever come across. I normally leave everything open but there are many nuances to explore on this instrument.
    I'm really happy to stick by my claim that Gretsch have come up with a winner here.

6. Lawrie Minson

Hi all, it's been about 5 weeks now since I took delivery of my Broadkaster and the only thing I have found that wasn't to my liking was the spring tension on the Bigsby. My other Gretschs have all had B3/B6 style trem arms but the Broadkaster has a B7. I'm sure they've gone that way to eliminate any string noise from behind the bridge and to remain in keeping with the high gain approach to the design. The original B7 spring was too stiff but I've taken the advice of a number of people on this site and fitted the Reverend soft touch spring and it has fixed the problem completely. The arm still sits in a comfortable place and has a much better feel than the original spring. I'll be doing my first gig with the new spring this weekend. I'll be curious to see how the tuning holds.
    I have found the synthetic nut to be a bit tricky to get right but after a few attempts with the super glue I now have it set correctly. I know I could have replaced the nut but I just couldn't bring myself to break the lacquer! Unfortunately the Broadkaster now has a few road dings. Low ceilings are a trap!

Henry likes this.
  7. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    Great reviews and picture! It's great to hear that the Broadkaster is a gem.

8. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Congrats, looks beautiful. To me it's a modern interpretation of Gretsch classics.

9. Lawrie Minson

Hi all, I've been gigging the Broadkaster for a few months now and it's really starting to settle in. The Reverend Soft Touch spring is working well and the tuning is also starting to settle. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the composite nut and will probably drop in a bone nut at some stage. I've been able to improve the tuning by looking very closely at the string grooves in the nut and making sure nothing is catching. I'm loving everything about this guitar and the more I play it the more comfortable it feels.

MTurner and TSims1 like this.