Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Could the 2017 Broadkaster G6659T be the guitar of the year?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Lawrie Minson, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Lawrie Minson

Lawrie Minson Electromatic

I've just played at Viva Las Vegas with my new G6659T-DCHFM (dark cherry, flame maple) and I know this will set the fox loose in the chicken house but after playing this instrument for only one gig I'm naming it THE guitar of 2017. Joe Carducci from Gretsch delivered the Broadkaster and helped me with the set up. I heard it plugged in for the first time when we were getting ready to play last night. I know it has new design pickups and the neck angle is set further back but what I wasn't ready for was the jaw dropping response from this guitar. It just wants to rock! If a Chet is a Cadillac this baby is a Corvette! I'm naming it Guitar of 2017 because thay have delivered a semi that feels and plays like a solid body yet retains all the classic Gretsch character. Truly unique!

2. MikeJaguar

MikeJaguar Electromatic

Nov 10, 2016
    NE England
    Dude.. PICS! We need eye candy. Words mean nothing here hehe

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

3. Lawrie Minson

Have a pic on my phone but I'm new to the forum and haven't worked out how to upload it!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Lawrie Minson

Think this may have a pic. I hope!

Attached Files:

6. Lawrie Minson

Losing the Tone switch also works for me. I never use it on my other Gretschs and now I don't have to worry about bumping it all the time!

7. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Oh yeah there's a picture, that guitar looks killer!

MikeJaguar likes this.
  8. MikeJaguar

MikeJaguar Electromatic

Nov 10, 2016
    NE England
    Took the words outta my keypad

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  10. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    A beauty!!! Congrats!!!!

11. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Totally. How about that tension bar Bigsby? Tuning issues or stiff feel?

12. senojnad

senojnad Gretschie

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    AGREE!! I've had my Broadkaster JR for 2 weeks and am really loving it.
    See review & photos here: https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/broadkaster-jr-road-test-report.160709/

Re: tension bar Bigsby Mine was a little tight initially so I replaced the stock spring with a Reverend "Soft Touch" spring. The only "issue" is that those springs are only available in chrome/nickel -- not gold. However, given its location, the spring is close to impossible to see.

TSims1 likes this.
  13. Lawrie Minson

Thanks for the replies everyone. Until I get home to Australia next week and do some more set up work it's hard to comment on tuning. The Broadkaster came with 46s and I use 10 to 52 gauge strings so the nut is going to need a tweak. I'll also have a look at the trem spring and see how it compares to my 6118 Jnr. It's still early days but you know when you have something special and I think Gretsch have nailed it with this guitar!

14. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Lovely,congrats!

MPM3 likes this.
  15. fishman919

fishman919 Electromatic

Sep 4, 2012
    Lubbock TX
    Lawrie Minson likes this.
  16. Lawrie Minson

Hi all, just home today from Las Vegas tonight and the Broadkaster has safely survived the three flights including the 14 & a half hours across the Pacific. As tired as I am I can't help doing a bit more tweaking to the set up. The nut is made of a product called Graph Tech. I don't know if sounds any better than bone but it is definitely softer. Here's a tip I picked up from a builder friend of mine - If you accidentally cut the nut slots too deep (very) carefully drop a tiny amount of super glue into the slot and leave it to dry overnight. I use the pointy end of a pin to spot the glue in. You can then re cut the slot and it will last for years :) I have a couple of gigs on the weekend and I'm looking forward to spending quality time with this beautiful new instrument.

17. jklotz

jklotz Gretschie

Mar 24, 2013
    Atlanta
    We sometimes use this trick in the shop, however, be aware that it is not a permanent fix. It will come out at some point. The real fix would be to cut a new nut.

18. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Looks great!

Lawrie Minson likes this.
  19. Lawrie Minson

Have the nut set up done now and I'm spending some quality playing time with my 6659. I keep discovering subtle design features that are so well thought out. The tone pot has a notch that holds it fully open. Usually when the tone knob gets bumped at the gig it always takes those few seconds trying to figure out where the treble went. This is a really clever fix!
    The combo of the A5 pup in the neck and A2 bridge also works well for me. There is plenty of bite from the bridge and the middle position is very well balanced. I also like the definition the A5s have in the neck. I see that Tim Shaw was involved in the design of these pups and I'm keen to know more.

TrampledUnderFoot likes this.
  20. TrampledUnderFoot

TrampledUnderFoot Electromatic

Apr 20, 2017
    PDX
    That's the "no load tone pot" feature. The detent effectively takes it out of the circuit. I use it to add some extra hotness to lead parts, as there is definitely a little bit more output when it's out of the circuit.

I'm really enjoying the pups in my 6609 too. Chimey, but still pretty aggressive. Still working on balancing them together and how to use the volumes with the master volume too (new Gretsch owner here).

21. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Glad you like the guitar. About the Broadtrons, I would like to see a source stating Tim Shaw's involvement, cause I can't find it!